Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-26-2004, 10:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by face of glass
Or then some Nicksfans are just having difficulties in accepting the fact that Lindsey didn't want Stevie appearing on his songs for a long period of time.
Well, my "fixated on an ex-girlfriend" statement was meant to be funny. How many winkies and smilies can I put?
I thought folks on the LB forum got sarcastic humour.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:58 PM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 06-27-2004, 12:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
I thought folks on the LB forum got sarcastic humour.
Yeah, and I thought all of my posts were funny. Excuse me while I yawn at myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
Why not just have a Lindsey-Stevie argument for the heck of it. You know we all love nothing more.
So you actually read the Stevie board.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 06-27-2004, 05:56 PM
Ledgie

I agree with you guys about Lindsey and Christine. On the earlier recordings, there's times where they do sound very similar. I've never got Lindsey and Stevie confused though. Maybe I still don't know the truth about some of the songs though.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:03 PM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 06-27-2004, 11:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Or then some Nicksfans are just having difficulties in accepting the fact that Lindsey didn't want Stevie appearing on his songs for a long period of time.
Is anyone saying that he wanted Stevie to appear on his songs? Isn't the reason he's faking her voice because he doesn't want to ask her to do it herself? He may not want HER, but he wants her sound.... that's all anyone seems to be saying.

Old 06-28-2004, 02:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts
He may not want HER, but he wants her sound.... that's all anyone seems to be saying.
But I don't hear her in any of that. If there's a will to emulate female vocals it's not necessarily a will to emulate Stevie Nicks.

Who's in denial here, me or the others?

Old 06-28-2004, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Isn't the reason he's faking her voice because he doesn't want to ask her to do it herself?
He was faking her voice? Given that Lindsey's and Stevie's voices and Lindsey's and Christine's voices can sound very similar just in their regular styles, when he's recording several voices to make his own harmonies on his own songs, doesn't it sort of stand to reason that some of the voices are going to sound like Stevie and Christine?
Old 06-28-2004, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Is anyone saying that he wanted Stevie to appear on his songs? Isn't the reason he's faking her voice because he doesn't want to ask her to do it herself? He may not want HER, but he wants her sound.... that's all anyone seems to be saying.
By then, even Stevie wasn't sounding like Stevie.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
In denial about what?

Old 06-28-2004, 02:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les
He was faking her voice? Given that Lindsey's and Stevie's voices and Lindsey's and Christine's voices can sound very similar just in their regular styles, when he's recording several voices to make his own harmonies on his own songs, doesn't it sort of stand to reason that some of the voices are going to sound like Stevie and Christine?
"Faking" was a poor choice of words- sound perjorative. Perhaps it would be better to say "recreating." But when I hear demos like "She Smiled Sweetly" I have to say the similarity is so eerie that it's hard to believe it's coincidental. And there's nothing wrong with recreating a certain "timbre" that works. Not trying to diss Lindsey here.

Old 06-28-2004, 03:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
In denial about what?
Oh, I guess that was me getting my head in my ass again.

You know there's all kinds of speculation to be had on this:

"Lindsey wanted Stevie so badly even in the middle of his 'hate towards SN' period that he still ended up recreating her voice consciously/subconsciously to certain spots of his solo work. This proves that he's been unavailable of dealing with the breakup."

So as you can see, CarneVaca was right. The romantics are not the worst enemies of those who think Lindsey has never needed Stevie. I am. I am the über-shipper!

*ends this burst of megalomania*

Old 06-28-2004, 03:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
"Faking" was a poor choice of words- sound perjorative. Perhaps it would be better to say "recreating."
I don't think it is coincidence either, I think it's to do with how he constructs harmonies and the similar nature of their voices. I guess I just don't think he was trying to recreate a sound that was a natural part of his sound. His voice naturally seemed to have elements similar to Stevie's and Christine's voices, so it seemed inevitable that when constructing multi-layered harmonies with his own voice, it was going to sound like two or all three of them. And that was probably going to happen with him moreso than with Stevie or Christine because Stevie and Christine used other singers in their harmonies on their solo stuff, whereas Lindsey was, save for the rare occasion, working mostly with just his voice.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:31 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
But I don't hear her in any of that. If there's a will to emulate female vocals it's not necessarily a will to emulate Stevie Nicks.

I just figured it was a way for Lindsey to hit notes he wouldnt normally be able to reach, but these new theories are interesting
Old 06-28-2004, 07:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Oh, I guess that was me getting my head in my ass again.

You know there's all kinds of speculation to be had on this:

"Lindsey wanted Stevie so badly even in the middle of his 'hate towards SN' period that he still ended up recreating her voice consciously/subconsciously to certain spots of his solo work. This proves that he's been unavailable of dealing with the breakup."

So as you can see, CarneVaca was right. The romantics are not the worst enemies of those who think Lindsey has never needed Stevie. I am. I am the über-shipper!

*ends this burst of megalomania*
I'm sorry, Gaius, I'm not sure I understand what you're saying - are you the one who originally said the above passage in quotation marks? Or are you responding to something "others" have said? If so, who? Sorry for the confusion.

Old 06-29-2004, 11:47 AM

Quote:
So as you can see, CarneVaca was right.
This is a good lesson for everyone around here.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He may not want HER, but he wants her sound.
In my opinion, the only aspect of Stevie's craft that ever impressed Lindsey (or Christine, for that matter) was her singing. I don't think Lindsey ever thought all that much of her songwriting or her instrumental abilities. He certainly didn't have the admiration for her lyrics in general that, say, John Stewart had. Back in the old days, Stewart considered Stevie one of the pre-eminent songwriters in rock.

Lindsey's & Christine's views on Stevie seem similar to my own: she's a brilliant, gifted vocalist, but, aside from a handful of interesting songs, a strangely inchoate lyricist & a completely unremarkable pianist & guitarist.

I was watching Stevie's Storytellers the other night, & that one segment just kills me: She's sitting there playing something -- Rhiannon, I think -- on a Yamaha MIDI Grand, plonking away like a 6-year-old practicing single-octave scales. I don't know whether to laugh or to cry; this beautiful instrument -- the Rolls-Royce of all midi grand pianos & renowned around the world for its dazzling technology, elegance & extremely high price -- is being banged on as if it were a plastic Magnus toy organ.

moviekinks.blogspot.com