Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-15-2022, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default New Yorker Interview

There is a new article on Stevie in today's New Yorker.com written by Tevi Gevinson. She is an actress and writer and does a Q&A with Stevie. I can't find a way to post a link. Sorry.

The only real new news is that Stevie is still working on The Rhiannon project and when she and Kim divorced in 1983, she had a suitcase full of demos and tapes and he sold it at a flea market. She says that's how so many of her songs ended up on the internet. Otherwise nothing much new, but it is a nice article and the photo used is really unique. It is hard to describe, but you'll either love it or hate it.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 02-15-2022, 05:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Wow, that is an interesting thing she revealed. She always inferred it was someone that took advantage of her klonopin addiction. However many of these demos were recorded well after her divorce. But there are still early ones she is probably referring to.
I take it he was bitter about her leaving to bang Joe Walsh on the Wild Heart tour

There was an interview that was removed from youtube in Stevie's deep klonopin funk where she admits how she left Kim. It was so freaking creepy how he thought of her as Robin. She claimed it was a relief to go on the road to get away.

Gee........ full blown drug addicts that marry their dead best friend's husband. Seriously, what could go wrong?

Selling demo tapes at a garage sale is the least of it
Old 02-15-2022, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
That was a guy named Rob who bought a bunch of demos at a Los Angeles swap meet around that time. The collection included “I Sing for the Things” and “Battle of the Dragon.” Lori Perry called Rob to ask him to cease and desist — circulating what he had bought. He went off the deep end: by 1985, he was grabbing Stevie’s clothes off the stage. At the Mulholland benefit in 1985, he grabbed Stevie’s polka-dot black cape from the stage, and that was that. Stevie’s organization was very upset with him and his troublesome ways.

This part about Stevie’s grandmother was my favorite part:

Quote:
I had a grandfather who was a country singer. And he left his wife, my grandmother—she was a piece of work, I could understand why he left her—and went off and played shows all over the country, but supported himself playing pool.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 02-15-2022, 07:07 PM
bombaysaffires
This message has been deleted by bombaysaffires.
Old 02-15-2022, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
That was a guy named Rob who bought a bunch of demos at a Los Angeles swap meet around that time. The collection included “I Sing for the Things” and “Battle of the Dragon.” Lori Perry called Rob to ask him to cease and desist — circulating what he had bought. He went off the deep end: by 1985, he was grabbing Stevie’s clothes off the stage. At the Mulholland benefit in 1985, he grabbed Stevie’s polka-dot black cape from the stage, and that was that. Stevie’s organization was very upset with him and his troublesome ways.

This part about Stevie’s grandmother was my favorite part:
why not send a person or two down to the swap meet under cover to just buy up everything he's selling so it doesn't go further??? Did he just sell copies and keep the originals??

Why wouldn't her security have pics of him to distribute to security teams working shows so they could watch for him and prevent his crap?

So much of this seems odd to me.

I bet if Karen had been in charge back then......
Old 02-15-2022, 07:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
That sounds like some Bill Gamelson sh*t!
Old 02-15-2022, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Wow, that is an interesting thing she revealed. She always inferred it was someone that took advantage of her klonopin addiction. However many of these demos were recorded well after her divorce. But there are still early ones she is probably referring to.
I take it he was bitter about her leaving to bang Joe Walsh on the Wild Heart tour

There was an interview that was removed from youtube in Stevie's deep klonopin funk where she admits how she left Kim. It was so freaking creepy how he thought of her as Robin. She claimed it was a relief to go on the road to get away.

Gee........ full blown drug addicts that marry their dead best friend's husband. Seriously, what could go wrong?

wait, what? I've heard her talk about how SHE thought Robin was around as a ghost, rocking the cradle and all that.... but don't recall hearing that he thought she WAS Robin....
Old 02-15-2022, 09:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I always find her pact story to be comical.

As if Christine hadn’t spent years holding her own before Stevie came around. Christine was on tours with Deep Purple. Did Stevie really think Christine was going to be intimidated by Loggins & Messina?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-15-2022, 09:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

People magazine has been excerpting stuff from the New Yorker interview.

PEOPLE.COM
MUSIC

Stevie Nicks Recalls Trying to Be 'Sweet and Nice' to Lindsey Buckingham to Keep Fleetwood Mac Together
Stevie Nicks told The New Yorker that she knew she and Lindsey Buckingham had to stay together at first for Fleetwood Mac to work
By Rachel DeSantis
February 15, 2022 02:40 PM

Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham

Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham | CREDIT: NOAM GALAI/GETTY
Stevie Nicks is reflecting on the ups and downs of her relationship with Fleetwood Mac bandmate Lindsey Buckingham, nearly 50 years after it helped them make one of the world's most beloved albums.

Nicks talked to Tavi Gevinson in a lengthy interview published in The New Yorker, and explained how she and Buckingham—who first met in high school in the late '60s—had to patch up their fractured relationship in the early days of Fleetwood Mac, lest they risk ruining a good thing.

"You just have to throw yourself into your song. I mean, I broke up with Lindsey in 1976. We'd only been in Fleetwood Mac for a year and a half, and we were breaking up when we joined Fleetwood Mac," she recalled. "So we just put our relationship kind of back together, because I was smart enough to know that, if we had broken up the second month of being in Fleetwood Mac, it would have blown the whole thing."

Though their eventual breakup wound up being ideal fodder for their legendary 1977 album Rumours, Nicks, 73, said she was forced to grin and bear it up until that point — and that it worked out for the best.

"I just bided my time, and tried to make everything as easy as possible, tried to be as sweet and nice to Lindsey as I could be. He wasn't happy, either," the Rock and Roll Hall of Famer said. "Then something happened that was, you know, 'We're done.' And he knew it. It was time. And the band was solid, by that time, so I could walk away knowing that he was safe. And that the band was safe. And that we could work it out."

Though Rumours has breakup songs aplenty—bandmates Christine and John McVie were also splitting up at the time—Nicks' wistful "Dreams" and Buckingham's angstier kiss-off "Go Your Own Way," which each wrote about the other, have long been considered standouts.

RELATED: Lindsey Buckingham Says He'd Reconcile with Stevie Nicks for a Fleetwood Mac Reunion: 'You Have to Forgive'

Nicks told Gevinson that she considers the tracks two sides of the same coin.

"I can just go right back to what pushed me toward writing those words. And I always laugh because Lindsey's 'Go Your Own Way' and my 'Dreams' are like, counter songs to each other," she said. "I'm like, 'When the rain washes you clean, you'll know,' and he's like, 'Packing up, shacking up's all you want to do.' Both songs kind of mean the same thing — it's really about our breakup. He's looking at it from a very unpleasant, angry way, and I'm saying, in my more airy-fairy way, we're gonna be all right. We'll get through this."

Despite the decades since the band's most tumultuous era, Fleetwood Mac made headlines once more in 2018 when Buckingham, 72, was fired from the group.

The rocker told PEOPLE in September that he'd be open to a reunion with his bandmates, contingent on a reconciliation with Nicks.

Fleetwood Mac

Fleetwood Mac in September 2018 | CREDIT: JB LACROIX/WIREIMAGE
"It was all Stevie's doing," he said of his ousting. "Stevie basically gave the band an ultimatum that either I had to go or she would go. It would be like [Mick] Jagger saying, "Well, either Keith [Richards] has to go or I'm going to go'… But that could be seen as something almost predictable at some point given the fact that we were slightly on different planets for so long."

"You have to forgive," he added. "You have to let things go and move on and just remember that we're all doing the best we can."

Nicks, for her part, denied Buckingham's account of his departure, calling it "revisionist history."

"I did not demand he be fired. Frankly, I fired myself," the "Stand Back" singer said in a statement. "I proactively removed myself from the band and a situation I considered to be toxic to my well-being. I was done. If the band went on without me, so be it."
Old 02-15-2022, 09:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

MUSIC

Stevie Nicks Once Told Katy Perry Not to Have 'Rivals' After Her Own Pact with Christine McVie
Stevie Nicks said she told Katy Perry that fan base rivalries were "bulls—"
By Rachel DeSantis
February 15, 2022 05:00 PM

Katy Perry, Stevie Nicks, Christine McVie | CREDIT: ERIC MCCANDLESS VIA GETTY; GREGG DEGUIRE/WIREIMAGE; IAN WEST/PA IMAGES VIA GETTY

Stevie Nicks knows the importance of being confident in your standing as a woman in the male-dominated music industry.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Famer opened up in a new interview about her longstanding friendship with Christine McVie as the only women in Fleetwood Mac, and her advice to Katy Perry that reflected a pact she and McVie had made years earlier to support each other.

Nicks, 73, told Tavi Gevinson in a lengthy interview published in The New Yorker that she once ran into Perry, 34, at the Corinthia Hotel in London circa 2012, and was surprised to hear the singer ask about rivalries.

"She said, 'So Stevie, who are your rivals?' And I said, 'I don't have rivals.' And her big blue eyes got bigger and bluer," she recalled. "And I said, 'No Katy, I don't, and neither do you. You are Katy Perry, you're who you are, you do what you do and you're great at it. I'm Stevie Nicks, I do what I do and I'm great at it. We don't have rivals. That's just ridiculous.'"

According to Nicks, the "I Kissed a Girl" singer at first rebuffed the advice, name-dropping Taylor Swift, with whom she was rumored to have had some bad blood at the time.

"She said, 'Well, there's like, the Taylor Swift army and there's like, the Katy army and there's like—' And I was like, 'That's just bulls—,'" Nicks recalled. "'You have to just walk away from that. Don't carry that around in your mind because then they're winning the game.'"

The "Dreams" singer told a story earlier in the interview involving bandmate McVie, 78, that exemplified her point — during the early days of Fleetwood Mac, the two made a pact together that they'd never be disrespected by men in the music industry.

Fleetwood Mac in September 2018 | CREDIT: JB LACROIX/WIREIMAGE

"We were very protective of each other. We made a pact, in the very beginning, that we would never be treated with disrespect by all the male musicians in the community," she said. "And we really stuck to it. I think we did the pinky swear thing that, if we ever feel like we're being treated like that, we would just get up and walk out—and we did. We would just say, "Well, this party is over for us."

Nicks said that she and McVie "instantly" became best friends after meeting, and that although their personalities were different, "sometimes opposites attract."

"She'd go, like, "You're like such a girly girl." And I'd be, like, "Well, I guess I am, but at the same time, I think I'm pretty hardcore too, Christine,'" she said. "We met in the middle… I would say to her, 'Together, we are a serious force of nature, and it will give us strength to maneuver the waters that are ahead of us.'"
Old 02-15-2022, 09:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

the New Yorker article
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/th...ial-type=owned

We kept up a friendship, and, in 2017, I interviewed her for Rookie’s podcast. Then the show’s production company shut down midseason, and the conversation never aired.
Over two evenings last month, Nicks and I caught up over the phone. She was at her home in Santa Monica, where she has spent the pandemic keeping nocturnal hours and working on a TV series based on the Welsh myth of Rhiannon. When she apologized for asking to speak at 10:30 p.m. E.T., I assured her that I was on a similar schedule. “Good,” she said. “Then we are definitely friends of the night.” This interview has been adapted from our unpublished early conversation and our recent ones.

A lot of these songs were in a suitcase that was accidentally sold at a flea market after I went on the road in 1983. So the songs have been travelling around the Internet now. A lot of people out in the audience knew the songs, but then there’s the next two generations that probably didn’t know them. So I figured you just have to tell them the story of each one of those really unfamiliar songs: what it was about, who was involved, and when it was written, and build a story around it.

How did the suitcase of cassettes find its way back to you?

Well, my best friend, [Robin], when she died [of leukemia, in 1982], she was pregnant. I decided, in my completely insane state of mind, that I was just going to marry her husband so that I could take care of the child. And, well, that didn’t work very well. So, for three months, getting ready to go on a big tour, I tried to be a mom, and it was impossible. And then out of nowhere, I just said, “You know what? We need to get a divorce.” I left, and he just decided to clean out the whole house, and there was a suitcase of cassettes—I don’t really know that he knew what was on all these cassettes. He had, like, a yard sale, and I don’t think that the people who bought it necessarily even knew what was exactly in it either. But somebody [eventually] figured out what it was, and then all of a sudden all these demos were out there in the world. So some fans who found out about this bought them and sent them back to me. That’s how cool my fans are. And then I took a lot of the great demos to Nashville and said I want to record these songs, but I want it exactly as they are. And they did it. And that’s why I love that record so much, because the songs on there are really close to how I wrote them.

Do you have literary influences that have inspired your music?

You know, I go in and out of reading. When I have a little bit of time to myself, my Zen time at night after a show, I slice a plate of apples and I sit on my bed with as many favorite fashion magazines as I can find. I’m just a fashion-magazine hag and I used to just have thousands of tear sheets, but now that I have my little iPhone I’m taking pictures. So my camera is filled with what would’ve been my tear-out sheets. But it can be, like, four in the morning and I’ll be, like, “Let’s see, you have to wake up at eleven-thirty.” And then I kind of go, “Why would I want to be asleep right now? This is the best time of my entire day.”

Ugh, that is such a good feeling.

It is. And it’s, like, it’s mine. And almost nothing else that I do in my life is really mine. It’s all shared, and there’s always two or three people around. And I have Lily [Nicks’s dog] now. She has really saved my life, because Sulamith [Nicks’s previous dog] was sick for that last year.

I think, Tavi, when you are really creative, I think that staying in a creative place is the best thing you can do if you have any depression going on. I’m not bipolar, but I’m something. I call it the Nicks crazies. My dad and my two uncles and my grandfather, they all had it too. My brother. And when I have that the least is when I’m really involved in doing stuff.

It’s, like, just remember. Time passes. When you’re really in a hole, go talk to somebody now. Because it’s just going to get worse, you know. And do some fun things. Do something that really makes you happy. Or go out and rent some great movies that you’ve always wanted to see, like “Storks.” [Laughs.] It’s my favorite movie. I’ve watched it six times and it’s just so great. Have you seen it?

No. [Laughs.]

It’s the sweetest movie. It’s about the storks going out of business and they become, like, FedEx, and they only deliver packages. No more babies. And they accidentally push the wrong button and one baby comes through—there’s the little star of the whole movie. The storks are her only friends. You just have to buy this movie and have it on replay at all times. It’s a cartoon, but it’s a massive movie of life and love and sadness and tragedy. That’s my answer to depression: “Storks.”

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 02-16-2022 at 08:56 PM..
Old 02-15-2022, 09:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie from the New Yorker article about the meaning of Storms:

So you can use the tragedy. “Always been a storm” [from the song “Storms”]—that I wrote about my best friend who moved in with my boyfriend, Mick, and her husband had to call and tell me that. “Sarah moved in with Mick, I just wanted you to know that.” And I jetted out the back door into the mountains and sat out there for three hours contemplating my future, ’cause, well, I just lost my best friend and I lost Mick, and I’m in a band with Mick, which means I can’t just dump Mick.

The song, it says, “Every night that goes between I feel a little less / As you slowly go away from me / This is only another test / Every night you do not come, your softness fades away / Did I ever really care that much? / Is there anything left to say? / Every hour of fear I spend, my body tries to cry / Living through each empty night, a deadly calm inside.” And then it says, you know, “Never have I been a blue calm sea / I have always been a storm.” So that came from that. And you know what? That’s worth it. That’s worth going through. And then, when you go back to sing those songs, you reattach yourself to what happened. And it’s O.K. because it’s not forever. It’s just for that moment. So, every time I sing that, I’m sitting up there on that mountain looking down at Doheny Drive in L.A., trying to figure out how I was going to make it through this.
Old 02-15-2022, 11:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I always find her pact story to be comical.

As if Christine hadn’t spent years holding her own before Stevie came around. Christine was on tours with Deep Purple. Did Stevie really think Christine was going to be intimidated by Loggins & Messina?
Christine WAS(formerly) stronger than any man. She didn't take sh*t from anyone. She's the last member of FM that I'd want to piss off!

$tevie may have needed her, but she didn't need $tevie!
Old 02-16-2022, 06:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
wait, what? I've heard her talk about how SHE thought Robin was around as a ghost, rocking the cradle and all that.... but don't recall hearing that he thought she WAS Robin....
During her peak klonopin addiction and bottom of her career (1992) she did an interview with a wicked British guy who got her to admit many controversial things. I think I remember her bashing this guy when she got clean. I think she said he took advantage of her. The interview used to be on youtube in 4 parts but was mysteriously removed. The interview was fascinating. She talked about Don Henley outing her about her abortion and the only reason she talks about that is because he outed her. But the crazy part was her marrying Kim. She stated he got very controlling and would not let he see baby Mathew without permission. Then he once called her Robin and she got weirded out that he was thinking she was Robin. She said she just went on the road and left everything behind. The interview was sort of like when Martin Bashir interviewed Michael Jackson. He really asked her about her personal and controversial things. He even commented she seemed out of it or something along those lines. Or what happened to this rock goddess. She also mentioned how crazy she was and had to purposely evade her father when he was on the Wild Heart tour first few weeks, etc.

Now here is the part I always wondered about and this recent story helps you connect the dots. Stevie was a big drug addict during this time. I assume Kim also was into drugs? I just cant see how you would not be into drugs marrying someone like this. Her break up from Kim was on the road. The entertainment tonight episode filmed early in the Wild Heart tour mentions she got out of her marriage. I saw an early Wild Heart Show that was terrible. As soon as Gold Dust Woman was over she told the audience, "nothing can make me feel better as the way I felt a short time ago." What does that mean? It could imply she was ill or it could imply a Kim moment when the marriage was coming to an end. This is something she refused to discuss in her life until the 1990s and post klonopin .

Edit: I did some research. This may be the printed article the audio interview is based on. The most controversial things did not make it to print? But the audio interview was posted online for awhile when youtube was young. She infers 4 abortions? This magazine interview is rather positive compared to the things she said in the long interview. It does paint her as a sobbing and aging rock star but the interview is more cut throat. He calls her flaky in this print interview. The full audio interview is jaw dropping. I also saw in google that his article was posted and discussed on the Ledge many moons ago. I just wish the audio still exists somewhere online. To say Stevie opened up about her life is an understatement. Is it a fair interview or a hit job? You decide.

https://fleetwoodmac-uk.com/wp/come-...zine-feb-1992/

Last edited by Macfan4life; 02-16-2022 at 06:55 AM..
Old 02-16-2022, 08:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This was pretty rambly but it was nice to read at the very end that she’s written a new song she’s proud of.
Old 02-16-2022, 10:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Edit: I did some research. This may be the printed article the audio interview is based on. The most controversial things did not make it to print? But the audio interview was posted online for awhile when youtube was young. She infers 4 abortions? This magazine interview is rather positive compared to the things she said in the long interview. It does paint her as a sobbing and aging rock star but the interview is more cut throat. He calls her flaky in this print interview. The full audio interview is jaw dropping. I also saw in google that his article was posted and discussed on the Ledge many moons ago. I just wish the audio still exists somewhere online. To say Stevie opened up about her life is an understatement. Is it a fair interview or a hit job? You decide.
https://fleetwoodmac-uk.com/wp/come-...zine-feb-1992/
YES! That is the article the audio interview is based on. I remember both, but I think I remember in the audio she never mentioned the four abortions, right? So that part appeared to be totally fabricated. The interviewer was clearly a biased hack. BUT...she was a zonked out kook who gave him him all the ammunition he needed to paint her the way he did. Also, in the original article he talked about following her up the bell tower and looking up her dress (anyone remember that?) That part somehow didn't make it into this condensed version of the article. I believe the original article also mentioned the view from the bell tower to "Old Queens Road" or some such thing. I recognized this a couple years later when she did that odd segment for some show about veterans (or something??) where she read the weird poem about her movie star view and Old Queens (or was it Kings?) Road.
I remember this clearly because this was back in the pre-Youtube/internet days when interviews and press were scarce because she really was at the darkest depths of her career. So random press like this was all we had to hang on to. She just seemed so odd, but now we know she was lost in the Klonopin haze!