The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default New Tori Amos album - "Unrepentant Geraldines", set for release 13/05/2014

photo UnrepentantGeraldines.jpg

November 25, 2013 – (London/New York) One of the most accomplished and respected artists, songwriters and performers of the last 20 years, Tori Amos has announced the release of a brand new album, Unrepentant Geraldines, in spring 2014.

Unrepentant Geraldines, Tori Amos’ 14th studio album, will be supported by an extensive world tour starting May 7th 2014 in Dublin and heading across Europe including shows at London’s Royal Albert Hall and dates in Berlin, Paris, Amsterdam, Moscow, Warsaw and other major cities. Dates in the US and the rest of the world will follow later in 2014 and will be confirmed soon.

Unrepentant Geraldines is a return to her core identity as a creator of contemporary songs of exquisite beauty following a series of more classically-inspired and innovative musical projects of the last four years. These have included the seasonal collection Midwinter Graces, the classically influenced Night of Hunters, and Gold Dust, a collection of orchestral reworkings of songs from across her career. Released in October 2012 Gold Dust included Flavor, which was remixed by the late DJ Peter Rauhofer and peaked at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot Club Dance Chart in February 2013.

Last month Tori Amos also launched her most ambitious project to date as a composer, along with book writer Samuel Adamson, when their musical The Light Princess premiered at London’s National Theatre for the start of an initial run which is confirmed until at least February 2014. At the prestigious UK Evening Standard Drama Awards earlier this month The Light Princess was nominated for Best Musical and leading lady Rosalie Craig won the Best Musical Performance category.

Fuelled by this array of unique projects and experiences Unrepentant Geraldines is both one further step in the artistic evolution of one of the most successful and influential artists of her generation and a return to the inspiring and personal music that Amos is known for all around the world.

Tori Amos has sold over 12 million albums, has played over a thousand shows and has won numerous awards. Since the release of her debut album Little Earthquakes in 1992 where she pushed boundaries with her confessional style of songwriting, Amos continues to be adored, picking up new fans along the way, romanced by her messages of empowerment, tenderness, acerbic assertiveness, and of course her utterly peerless sound.

A pioneer across multiple platforms, Tori Amos was the first major label artist to offer a single for download. She has had her songs turned into graphic novels and has produced groundbreaking videos throughout her career. Ms. Amos is also a noted humanitarian and co-founder of RAINN (Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network), which is the United States’ largest anti-sexual assault organization

Unrepentant Geraldines will be released on Mercury Classics internationally and on Mercury Classics/Universal Music Classics in the US.

Unrepentant Geraldines European Tour Dates 2014

May 2014
7th Ireland, Dublin, Olympia
10th UK, Glasgow, O2 Academy
11th UK, Manchester, Apollo
12th UK, Birmingham, Symphony Hall
14th UK, Nottingham, Royal Concert Hall
15th UK, London Royal Albert Hall
17th France, Paris, Grand Rex
19th Germany, Frankfurt, Jahrhunderthalle
20th Germany, Berlin, Tempodrom
22nd Norway, Oslo, Scentrum Scene
24th Denmark, Copenhagen, DR Koncertsalen
25th Germany, Hamburg, Laieszhalle
28th Belgium, Brussels, Cirque Royal
29th Netherlands, Amsterdam, Het Concertgebouw
31st Switzerland, Zurich, Volkshaus

June 2014
2nd Italy, Rome, Auditorium Parco della Musicai
3rd Italy, Milan, Teatro Nazionale
4th Italy, Padova, Geox
6th Austria, Vienna, Konzerthaus
7th Austria, Linz, Opera House
9th Germany, Stuttgart, Hegel Saal
10th Germany, Munich, Philharmonie
11th Czech Republic, Prague, Forum Praha
12th Poland, Warsaw, Sala Kongresowa
14th Russia, St Petersburg, Music Hall
15th Russia, Moscow Crocus Hall
17th Ukraine, Kiev, Oktiabrskiy

Further dates to be announced shortly on www.toriamos.com.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Fourteen albums in, Tori Amos is still finding inspiration wherever she looks.

The prolific singer-songwriter is set to release her next studio album, Unrepentant Geraldines, on May 13th on Mercury Classics as well as support the record with a lengthy international tour. The album is an appreciative portrayal of the singer's experiences with visual art, Amos tells Rolling Stone – and, fittingly, she unveils its vibrant new cover art exclusively here.

"I've always been inspired by visual artists of all mediums because, as with music, art is not a job you can go to and leave from, but it is something that defines who and what you are," Amos tells Rolling Stone. "Visual artists shake up our brains and force us to look at everything, from objects we don't normally think twice about to people we might not have cared about. In one image, they can remind us of nature's power to enchant, as well as humankind's fruitless attempt to overpower her or simply second-guess her. Through the visual artist's application of tone, shape, pattern and pigment, I not only begin to see, but I can honestly say I begin to hear."

Amos' adulation of visual art shouldn't come as a surprise to diligent fans who have followed her piecemeal teasing of the album cover on her Tumblr over the past week, or who recall the singer discussing seeing her songs "three-dimensionally" with Rolling Stone two years ago. Unrepentant Geraldines marks the piano maven's return to her premier instrument and also to thoughtful contemporary pop; its fine art emphasis also nods to the highbrow proclivities of her last album, Gold Dust, on which she reworked past songs with classical orchestration courtesy of the Netherlands' Metropole Orchestra.

Today, Amos also unveiled the North American leg of her Unrepentant Geraldines tour, which launches July 16th at the Orpheum in Vancouver, Canada and crosses the United States before wrapping on August 24th at Fillmore at the Jackie Gleason Theatre in Miami, Florida. (See full dates below.) It follows her previously announced, far-flung international dates, which kick off May 5th in Cork Ireland and include stops in France, Belgium, Italy and Russia before culminating in Bucharest, Romania on June 19th.

Amos' album and tour announcements come amid new acclaim for her musicalThe Light Princess, a fanciful production currently running in South London. Cowritten with Australian playwright Samuel Adamson, the fable about a lovestruck prince and princess recently earned six prestigious WhatsOnStage nominations, an especially triumphant outcome considering the production languished in indefinite postponement in 2011 before being revived.

Tori Amos' North American Tour Dates

7/16 – Vancouver, BC – Orpheum
7/17 – Seattle, WA – Paramount Theatre
7/18 – Portland, OR – Oregon Zoo Amphitheatre
7/21 – Oakland, CA – Paramount Theatre
7/23 – Los Angeles, CA – Greek Theatre
7/24 – San Diego, CA – Humphrey's
7/25 – Mesa, AZ – Mesa Arts Center
7/27 – Denver, CO – Paramount Theatre
7/29 – Dallas, TX – Winspear Opera House
7/30 – Austin, TX – Long Center
8/1 – St. Louis, MO – Peabody Opera House
8/2 – Kansas City, MO – Midland Theatre
8/3 – St. Paul, MN – O'Shaughnessy Auditorium
8/5 – Chicago, IL – Chicago Theatre
8/6 – Detroit, MI – Fox Theatre
8/7 – Cleveland, OH – Cain Park
8/8 – Toronto, ON – Massey Hall
8/10 – Philadelphia, PA – Verizon Hall
8/12 – New York, NY – Beacon Theatre
8/13 – New York, NY – Beacon Theatre
8/15 – Boston, MA – Opera House
8/16 – Washington, DC – DAR Constitution Hall
8/18 – Nashville, TN – Ryman Auditorium
8/19 – Atlanta, GA – Cobb-Energy PAC
8/20 – Durham, NC – Durham PAC
8/22 – Clearwater, FL – Ruth Eckerd Hall
8/23 – Orlando, FL – Bob Carr PAC
8/24 – Miami, FL – Fillmore at The Jackie Gleason Theatre

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...album-20140219
Old 02-19-2014, 10:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok, so, I'm very excited by this. Having been disappointed with the last few Tori records, there are a few things that are exciting me here.

- the artwork. No high-glam, high-fashion, heavy wig or bad photoshop jobs. The artwork for ADP onwards has been ridiculously photoshopped, so much so that the last 3 albums (Midwinter Graces, Night of Hunters and Gold Dust) don't even look like her.

- her usual drummer and bassist are NOT playing on this album. Tori has been playing with the same musicians, in the same place since 1997. It's interesting that she is potentially working with new musicians.

- Following the classical period and The Light Princess, Tori sort of went back to her original roots with classical music and show tunes for these albums. I am hoping that this experience has inspired her to write songs of a quality that are worthy of being on a Tori Amos record. Her last albums have had some real clunkers on them.

- Inspired by visual art? AMAZING. Some of my favourite post-2000 Tori songs have been inspired by art (Parasol, Garlands, Ruby Through The Looking Glass etc).

- Tori has mastered the album TWICE. She wasn't completely happy with the final masters, so she remastered it. The poor production choices on her most recent albums, especially American Doll Posse, has ruined some amazing songs. If Tori has taken the time she wants to take with this one instead of being rushed by the label (like she was with TBK and ADP), then this could be something very special indeed.

Equally, it could be tripe. "Abnormally Attracted To Sin" was a hot mess. Some great production but serious questionable lyrics and choices. How the hell did "Not Dying Today" and "Police Me" make it onto an album? The classical themed albums have received some real critical acclaim in the classical world, but I'm not part of that world. I don't really know anything about classical music. And I didn't like her daughter singing on the album either. Could this album really be her return to form? Her last amazing album was "Scarlet's Walk", 11 years ago, and whilst there has been moments of greatness over the last few albums, none have managed to reach the level of brilliance of her earlier work.

I'm seriously waiting with excitement for this one.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post
"Abnormally Attracted To Sin" was a hot mess. Some great production but serious questionable lyrics and choices. How the hell did "Not Dying Today" and "Police Me" make it onto an album? The classical themed albums have received some real critical acclaim in the classical world, but I'm not part of that world. I don't really know anything about classical music. And I didn't like her daughter singing on the album either. Could this album really be her return to form? Her last amazing album was "Scarlet's Walk", 11 years ago, and whilst there has been moments of greatness over the last few albums, none have managed to reach the level of brilliance of her earlier work.

I'm seriously waiting with excitement for this one.
I agree 100%, and I hope this is a great album, too. After a few years of disinterest, I went through a *major* Tori phase in the latter months of 2013 where I devoted several days to each of her albums, revelling in nostalgia (I have bought each of albums on release date, all the way back to Little Earthquakes when I was 18) and even re-discovering forgotten tracks or hearing familiar tracks in new ways. Up to Scarlet's Walk, I like every album start to finish....but every album after that has me skipping tracks or not really listening at all (just hearing).

Unrelated, but I sure do want a vinyl release for To Venus And Back.

Lastly, I am still totally creeped out by Tori's new face. It's nice to see that after a few years, her contours have returned...almost...to where they once were. I can say with certainty that when I listen to her recent music, that face haunts me and detracts from my enjoyment of her work. I can't help but hear (and probably invent) lyrical connections to emotional trauma she endured as a result of not looking like herself, and the impact it has had on her life.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case

Last edited by KarmaContestant; 02-19-2014 at 02:39 PM..
Old 02-19-2014, 04:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
I agree 100%, and I hope this is a great album, too. After a few years of disinterest, I went through a *major* Tori phase in the latter months of 2013 where I devoted several days to each of her albums, revelling in nostalgia (I have bought each of albums on release date, all the way back to Little Earthquakes when I was 18) and even re-discovering forgotten tracks or hearing familiar tracks in new ways. Up to Scarlet's Walk, I like every album start to finish....but every album after that has me skipping tracks or not really listening at all (just hearing).

Unrelated, but I sure do want a vinyl release for To Venus And Back.

Lastly, I am still totally creeped out by Tori's new face. It's nice to see that after a few years, her contours have returned...almost...to where they once were. I can say with certainty that when I listen to her recent music, that face haunts me and detracts from my enjoyment of her work. I can't help but hear (and probably invent) lyrical connections to emotional trauma she endured as a result of not looking like herself, and the impact it has had on her life.
I completely agree, everything from Little Earthquakes up to and including the Scarlet's Hidden Treasures EP was brilliant. "The Beekeeper" was fairly solid, but about 5 tracks too long and the fact that "Garlands" wasn't on the album is criminal. "American Doll Posse", again, had some great songs but too much filler and the production is HORRENDOUS. I was so excited for that album hearing solo version of "Beauty Of Speed", "Almost Rosey", "Father's Son" and "Roosterspur Bridge" live before the album was released, and when it hit it was just so dreadfully produced. Her guitarist need firing. And as I said, AATS was just a hot mess with awful lyrics.

I really do have a great feeling about this album.

Venus on vinyl? Oh be still my beating heart, that would be amazing. Scarlet's Walk belongs on vinyl too - could you imagine that album artwork on a gatefold 2 record set?
Old 02-21-2014, 11:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think I have bought everything by Tori-except that aforementioned Scarlett's Treasure EP-I think I need to hunt that down. I have been SORELY bummed for her releases since ADP. I have only seen her twice, and it was for AATS and ADP. ADP was great fun because it was my first Tori show (many horror stories of trying to see her in past-all resulting in epic fail clusterf**k!) but AATS-even tho there she was before my eyes, she'd break into a AATS song and I wanted to leave. The album, her, the tour all seemed SO dull =( Then there is Hunter & GD-and triple yawn. They do nothing for me (oh yea, I am missing a Tori Xmas'y type album-that just came and went. Is it any good?)
I also agree about her looks. Spooky to be sure. For someone so front and center with female empowerment, all this foofiness seems contrived.
Over the Holidays, you couldn't remove the piano box set from my CD player.
I pre-ordered the album just the other day w/ a promise of pre-sale code for her Oregon date. I don't know if I'll go. I have no one to go with, and FM looms later in the year. Still-I'd be so bummed if this album came full LE circle, and I missed the return of that girl we all fell in love with in 1992....albeit slightly older and wiser

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 02-24-2014, 04:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarboSpeaks! View Post
I think I have bought everything by Tori-except that aforementioned Scarlett's Treasure EP-I think I need to hunt that down. I have been SORELY bummed for her releases since ADP. I have only seen her twice, and it was for AATS and ADP. ADP was great fun because it was my first Tori show (many horror stories of trying to see her in past-all resulting in epic fail clusterf**k!) but AATS-even tho there she was before my eyes, she'd break into a AATS song and I wanted to leave. The album, her, the tour all seemed SO dull =( Then there is Hunter & GD-and triple yawn. They do nothing for me (oh yea, I am missing a Tori Xmas'y type album-that just came and went. Is it any good?)
I also agree about her looks. Spooky to be sure. For someone so front and center with female empowerment, all this foofiness seems contrived.
Over the Holidays, you couldn't remove the piano box set from my CD player.
I pre-ordered the album just the other day w/ a promise of pre-sale code for her Oregon date. I don't know if I'll go. I have no one to go with, and FM looms later in the year. Still-I'd be so bummed if this album came full LE circle, and I missed the return of that girl we all fell in love with in 1992....albeit slightly older and wiser
I agree, the Sinful Attraction tour wasn't her best. However, I caught 3 shows on her solo summer 2010 tour and 3 shows on the Night of Hunters tour and both absolutely blew me away. She sounded sooooo fantastic and was clearly having a blast on stage and lots of engaging with the audience. This upcoming tour is a solo tour, so I have no doubt that live, she will rip it up as she has been doing since 2010, regardless of what the album is like.

Her seasonable album, Midwinter Graces, is actually very pleasent. As Tori said "there's no 'She's a Hussy, Merry Christmas' on it", it's all very lush and quite classic in places, but it's lovely to listen to over the festive period. "Night of Hunters" wasn't my thing either - I don't know anything about classical music, so I don't get it really, but I'm reliabley informed that it's very highly thought of in the classical world. "Gold Dust" was SUCH a wasted opportunity. It could have been magnificent reworkings of old songs, but instead she chose songs that all already had strings on their original form, so you don't get anything new? What the heck is the point in that? Imagine songs like "Cruel", "Caught A Lite Sneeze" and "1,000 Oceans" reworked with an orchestra! (NB: she played "Cruel" with the quartet live on the Night of Hunters tour and it was A.MA.ZING!)
Old 03-26-2014, 11:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

An interesting article here from South Africa, and the first bit of news since the press release.:

Tori Amos on ‘secret songs’ and SA

March 26 2014 at 01:16pm
Comment on this story
to toriamos1.jpg
Tori Amos
Tori Amos really surprised me with this statement when I phoned her in England: “It’s good to hear your voice.”
Um, this was from an artist who was voted by Rolling Stone as one of the best live performers of all time. Unsure as to why she said it (it was a colleague who interviewed her ahead of her last SA tour) and thinking that perhaps she had me confused with someone else, I murmured a bashful “thank you” and dived straight into the interview.
She will be performing in Joburg and Cape Town as part of her extensive world tour which will also include Dublin, Moscow, Warsaw and Amsterdam. After performing in South Africa she will tour major cities across the US. The tour is in support of her 14th studio album, Unrepentant Geraldines. The album is set for release locally on May 12.
“I am currently in Cornwall, recording the album,” she answered.
“It’s the first record I have done in a few years without an orchestra. I have written the songs over a few years and explored different styles of music. For the past few years I have worked with masses of people.
“With this album I wrote the songs in secret. It’s not a diary of my life, as that wouldn’t make sense. It’s sort of snapshots of my life.”
She says she is inspired by an old drawing of a repentant Magdalena: “She was looking up at the Virgin Mary and I just fell in love with it. Each song is a story with its own sound. They are not necessarily connected. The subject matter ranges, as it took a long time to write this record. I learnt a lot from this project and enjoyed the freedom, which is great.
“I had to unzip my skin and sometimes it hurt me. Then I would record another and it became okay again. I write a lot on the road and have travelled a lot over a few years.”
This is the second time she will be performing in South Africa, so what was it like before?
“I enjoyed it. When I was a little girl the civil rights movement happened. My father marched with Martin Luther King. I remember as a child a lot of creativity happened after that, particularly with film. There seems to be an opportunity for South Africans to collaborate. There is a ripeness for a lot of creativity.”
And finally, with the new tour, what can fans expect?
“I approach gigs by who is in the audience. We are all in your living room. The show changes every night and because I am playing alone I can make those changes.”
• Tori Amos plays Montecasino’s Teatro on June 26 and 27. She then moves to Cape Town International Convention Centre on June 29 and 30. Book at Computicket.

http://www.iol.co.za/tonight/tori-am...d-sa-1.1666573
Old 03-26-2014, 11:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Things that excite me from this article:

"I have written the songs over a few years and explored different styles of music. For the past few years I have worked with masses of people. With this album I wrote the songs in secret. It’s not a diary of my life, as that wouldn’t make sense. It’s sort of snapshots of my life.”

"Each song is a story with its own sound. They are not necessarily connected. The subject matter ranges, as it took a long time to write this record. I learnt a lot from this project and enjoyed the freedom, which is great. I had to unzip my skin and sometimes it hurt me. Then I would record another and it became okay again. I write a lot on the road and have travelled a lot over a few years.”

"The show changes every night and because I am playing alone I can make those changes.”
Old 03-28-2014, 04:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The first single has landed! It's called "Trouble's Lament". Sounds kinda funky. Like "Wednesday" meets "Angels" meets "Big Wheel". I believe it's been released digitally today.

The tracklisting has also been released:

1.America
2.Trouble’s Lament
3.Wild Way
4.Wedding Day
5.Weatherman
6.16 Shades of Blue
7.Maids of Elfen-mere
8.Promise
9.Giant’s Rolling Pin
10.Selkie
11.Unrepentant Geraldines
12.Oysters
13.Rose Dover
14.Invisible Boy

update:

You can hear the song here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW-fugPMXd8

Last edited by TheWILDheart; 03-28-2014 at 05:04 AM..
Old 04-14-2014, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There's a new song, "Selkie", that you can listen to on Tori's instagram.

Seriously, I'm in love with this!! It's the best thing she's done since 2004. It sounds like it could've been taken from "Under The Pink".

http://bellsfor-her.tumblr.com/post/...om-unrepentant
Old 05-26-2014, 11:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So Tori'kins-any feelings about the cd? I've had it about 9 days or so and it's far from grown on me. Kinda blue about it. It has some good features, but honestly couldn't name them off the top of my head. I do NOT get any prior Tori works/feelings from this LP. I do however think I have tix to see her on my horizon-so hoping MAYBE the lead up and after the show when I've heard so much more will bring it around for me.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 05-26-2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarboSpeaks! View Post
So Tori'kins-any feelings about the cd? I've had it about 9 days or so and it's far from grown on me. Kinda blue about it. It has some good features, but honestly couldn't name them off the top of my head. I do NOT get any prior Tori works/feelings from this LP. I do however think I have tix to see her on my horizon-so hoping MAYBE the lead up and after the show when I've heard so much more will bring it around for me.
I haven't heard it yet, it has some mixed reviews. Seeing her live is incredible.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have not bought it yet.

I plan to. But...I've been slacking - I have a list of albums to buy when I finally make it to record store, but right now, home and garden are keeping me busy.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 06-10-2014, 09:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't worship it like I do LE-SW albums (but then again, she'd have a hard time toping those), but I still think it's a great album. The piano solo tracks are CLASSIC Tori and some of the more interesting songs like "16 Shades of Blue" and "Wedding Day" I find really fresh and interesting.

It's certainly her most inspired, consistent and cohessive effort since (at least) "The Beekeeper".

I caught her in Glasgow and Manchester on tour recently. Seriously guys, if you get to see this tour, DO IT. She's on fire. And she's doing a covers section each night on tour (she's done "Landslide", "Songbird" and "Silver Springs" as part of this).