Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-16-2016, 05:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I used to have the coolest "Sometimes Its a Bitch" promo poster. In 1991 there was a poster company that came to my college selling posters. I nearly fell over when I saw this JUMBO, OVERSIZED, HUGE: "Sometimes Its a Bitch: New Single, out now" Giant picture of Stevie too. It was so large that it took up the entire wall in my college dorm. Years later I hung it over my waterbed as my accent piece
Old 10-16-2016, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
I,ve also heard demos where Stevie drops the "F" bomb, an interview with Robin Ross where she says s**t, and a few live recordings where she uses foul language. I have no problem with this, so I'm not sure why Stevie claims to have such a problem with the word being used in the title of "Sometimes It's A Bitch". I would imagine that it has less to so with the word and MORE to do with her record label's insistence the she record the song to save her stalling career.
I remember an interview where she said she didn't like that word for a song, especially in the title. I don't think she ever pretended she didn't say words like that in casual conversation.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember at the time Stevie mentioned in a interview that her Mom was not happy with the song because of the use of the word BITCH.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie also edited out a scene in her documentary of In Your Dreams where she said the f word because she didn't want that part of her image or to role model that behavior or some such. I mean, really?
Old 10-16-2016, 08:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
that's sad she let "them " get to her , but then again the Wilson sisters were in the same position too
What about the horrific, Desert Angel? Did someone force her to put that terrible song on the album? Please, Bon Jovi was hot at the time and she tried to capitalize on it. Her vocal was awful. Loves A Hard Game to Play reaked too. Nightbird and After The Glitter Fades were true hits and belonged in that album.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:13 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
What about the horrific, Desert Angel? Did someone force her to put that terrible song on the album? Please, Bon Jovi was hot at the time and she tried to capitalize on it. Her vocal was awful. Loves A Hard Game to Play reaked too. Nightbird and After The Glitter Fades were true hits and belonged in that album.
i do not mean "sad " in a ,how terrible for her kinda way
Old 10-16-2016, 10:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
If the song was released in 1988 or 1989, it would have smashed the top 10. Jon Bon Jovi had that kind of power. He brought Cher's music career back in the late 80's. In the fall of 1991, Bon Jovi's limelight had faded.
I get what her record company was trying to do. She was in a klonopin fog and could not write catchy pop songs anymore. IMHO the song was 3 years too late.
But the entire 1991 year was the way NOT to promote an album. Stevie toured and did not promote the album. In addition the album was not released until after the tour.
Interesting, sounds spot on.

I've always thought this song would be great too but stripped down - just her and a piano. It would be a great way to showcase her vocal power - just ripping into the chorus and easing back on the verses.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If the song was released in 1988 or 1989, it would have smashed the top 10. Jon Bon Jovi had that kind of power. He brought Cher's music career back in the late 80's. In the fall of 1991, Bon Jovi's limelight had faded.
I get what her record company was trying to do. She was in a klonopin fog and could not write catchy pop songs anymore. IMHO the song was 3 years too late.
But the entire 1991 year was the way NOT to promote an album. Stevie toured and did not promote the album. In addition the album was not released until after the tour.
I wonder if it still isn't faded/fading?? His latest song (House is not for sale) is absolutely horrendous. I heard it a few weeks ago and then again on a morning show last week and just wanted to gag.

Last edited by Newzchspy; 10-17-2016 at 03:07 PM..
Old 10-17-2016, 06:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Stevie also edited out a scene in her documentary of In Your Dreams where she said the f word because she didn't want that part of her image or to role model that behavior or some such. I mean, really?
Really? Never heard this before...

She probably feels that it's lazy songwriting to swear in songs when you could use other words to convey your message. "Bitch" sounds especially crude and bitter, as a derogatory word for a female, coming from a writer as mystical and poetic as Stevie.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyfee View Post

She probably feels that it's lazy songwriting to swear in songs when you could use other words to convey your message. "Bitch" sounds especially crude and bitter, as a derogatory word for a female, coming from a writer as mystical and poetic as Stevie.
And I agree with this. It is lazy and unoriginal.

You know the Seinfeld writers and producers would always talk about the creative ways they used to get around NBC censors. They couldn't say masturbation, so they suggestively said "Master of his domain" and that actually was funnier and cleverer.

When Larry David got a show on cable and he could say anything he wanted, I loved Curb, because I'm tuned in to Larry, but I actually think the show was a lot less funny than Seinfeld, because it was explicit and profane, for profanity's sake. I mean the profanity became the humor and .... that's not good writing.

That's double the case for lyrics. Stevie wasn't into creating the furor that having her say that word in a song would cause, just for the sake of it.

Michele
Old 10-17-2016, 09:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I actually liked "Sometimes It's A Bitch". With the inclusion of "Love's A Hard Game", she had the required two singles for "Timespace". Why she chose to include the exorcism that is "Desert Angel" is beyond me. "Desert Angel" ranks as one of her all time worst recorded songs, thus I'm unsure why it is included on a "best of" compilation.

Moreover, the audacity of comparing herself sitting in a luxurious house in Paradise Valley, Arizona to the plight of soldiers fighting in a foreign third world desert is laughable ("I know how it feels there").

For a true "best of" compilation up to 1991, why didn't those so called "sensible label execs" talk her into tossing "Desert Angel" out of the Army tank in favor of solid singles like "After The Glitter Fades" and "Nightbird"? The latter compositions represent some of Stevie's finest recorded moments.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyfee View Post
While I agree with you. Saying Bitch is less lazy than - "ooh eee" listen to me - imho.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Originally Posted by WatchChain
Quote:
I actually liked "Sometimes It's A Bitch". With the inclusion of "Love's A Hard Game", she had the required two singles for "Timespace". Why she chose to include the exorcism that is "Desert Angel" is beyond me. "Desert Angel" ranks as one of her all time worst recorded songs, thus I'm unsure why it is included on a "best of" compilation.

Moreover, the audacity of comparing herself sitting in a luxurious house in Paradise Valley, Arizona to the plight of soldiers fighting in a foreign third world desert is laughable ("I know how it feels there").

For a true "best of" compilation up to 1991, why didn't those so called "sensible label execs" talk her into tossing "Desert Angel" out of the Army tank in favor of solid singles like "After The Glitter Fades" and "Nightbird"? The latter compositions represent some of Stevie's finest recorded moments.
I'm conflicted about "Sometimes It's A Bitch". On the one hand, it is pedestrian-rock at its worst and co-written by one of the most hideous arseholes on the planet, but it ****s all over the atrocity that is "Love's A Hard Game To Play", which in my opinion, is right down there with the likes of "Jane" and "Soldier's Angel". However, I consider "Desert Angel" to not only be the superior of the three new Timespace tracks, but one of her better compositions/recordings. I think it's well produced and features a strong vocal. The lyrics may not be her best, but they are somewhat evocative and definitely not as dire as what I consider to be her worst ("chimpanzees" and "hospitals" anyone??).

I agree that "After The Glitter Fades" and "Nightbird" warranted inclusion - on their own merits, but particularly in favour of the new cuts.
If you deleted "Sometimes It's A Bitch", "Love's A Hard Game To Play" and "Whole Lotta Trouble" from Timespace and then included the likes of "After The Glitter Fades", "Nightbird", "Whenever I Call You Friend", "Gold" and "Insider", you would have a pretty decent representation of her work up until that point.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Some of you are taking the word "bitch" out of context. The song is not calling anyone a bitch (noun). Its describing a difficult situation or heavy lift in life. Remember the sayings: Life is a beach; Life is a bitch. Bitch is used as an adjective in the song. In addition the word "Bitch" goes with the word "Breeze". IMHO, its a great line in the song. Each "b" word has the opposite meaning in extreme examples. I don't see it as lazy. Its creative.
I love the song "love is a hard game to play." I thought she sung that song from the heart. These songs are millions of times better than the other cheezy songs she has sung written by other people. Songs like Everyday, Cry Wolf, Blue Eyes, Talk To Me etc.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 10-18-2016 at 05:35 AM..
Old 10-18-2016, 07:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I used to have the coolest "Sometimes Its a Bitch" promo poster. In 1991 there was a poster company that came to my college selling posters. I nearly fell over when I saw this JUMBO, OVERSIZED, HUGE: "Sometimes Its a Bitch: New Single, out now" Giant picture of Stevie too. It was so large that it took up the entire wall in my college dorm. Years later I hung it over my waterbed as my accent piece
Sounds cool! Could you describe the picture of Stevie? Was it the picture used on the cover of the"Sometimes" single?