Old 03-20-2009, 03:28 AM
Ledgie

Default Peter Green plays with GAS

Has anyone heard of this?

http://www.nme.com/artists/gass#content

Gas

Scroll to the bottom of page:

Biography
One of the less-renowned groups to emerge from London's late 60s and early 70s club/soul circuit, Gass completed several raw-edged singles for the Parlophone Records label before embarking on a more progressive direction. The original line-up - Bob Tench (b. 24 March 1941; vocals/bass), Alan Roskams (b. 18 March 1941; lead guitar), Frank Clark (b. 26 January 1942; organ), Humphrey Okan (b. 18 March 1938; saxophone), Lol Coxhill (b. Lowen Coxhill, 19 September 1932, Portsmouth, Hampshire, England; saxophone), Errol McLean (b. 24 March 1941; congas) and Godfrey McClean (b. 24 March 1941; drums) - gradually broke apart, although Tench and McClean were present on the unit's sole album. Its rhythmic pulse, reminiscent in places of Santana, was enhanced by a cameo appearance by guitarist Peter Green, but the set was not a commercial success. A year after the release of the album the band appeared in Jack Good's musical Catch My Soul. The line-up of the band had Derek Austin on organ and piano. The band also performed on the soundtrack album for the show and was produced by Peter Knight Jr. (the son of the highly respected composer and arranger). Tench joined the Jeff Beck Group when Gass broke-up, while early saxophonist Coxhill pursued a maverick career with Delivery, Kevin Ayers and a host of experimental ensembles.

Discography

Ju Ju - 1970 (Polydor)

What was the playing like?

Is the album still available?
I need to know......
Old 03-20-2009, 05:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know that the album is still commercially available but if you don't mind downloading it off the net then try here http://rapidshare.com/files/211390976/Gass_-_Juju.rar

Further information (although the album is listed as Gass rather than Ju Ju) http://discog.fleetwoodmac.net/discog.php?pid=365

Peter appears on the songs Ju Ju and Black Velvet (though his contribution isn't particularly obvious).

Good luck listening to this album because personally I can't manage it. Sure Peter is probably on there but even that isn't enough to get me through more than half a song.

EDIT: According to Wikipedia (i.e. take with grain of salt) the album was released as Juju and then later as Gass due to some contractual complications regarding Peter being credited on the album. (?)

Last edited by chriskisn; 03-20-2009 at 06:29 AM..
Old 03-20-2009, 06:39 AM
Ledgie

Default chriskisn.. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
I don't know that the album is still commercially available but if you don't mind downloading it off the net then try here http://rapidshare.com/files/211390976/Gass_-_Juju.rar

Further information (although the album is listed as Gass rather than Ju Ju) http://discog.fleetwoodmac.net/discog.php?pid=365

Peter appears on the songs Ju Ju and Black Velvet (though his contribution isn't particularly obvious).

Good luck listening to this album because personally I can't manage it. Sure Peter is probably on there but even that isn't enough to get me through more than half a song.

EDIT: According to Wikipedia (i.e. take with grain of salt) the album was released as Juju and then later as Gass due to some contractual complications regarding Peter being credited on the album. (?)
Many thanks, I'm listening to it now!!!
Old 03-20-2009, 08:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
Many thanks, I'm listening to it now!!!
Let me know your opinion of it...

As I said I find it almost unlistenable.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post

Try and get it at www.gemm.com

Good luck!

Mario.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here you see the picture sleeve.

Mario.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gass.jpg (57.7 KB, 27 views)
Old 03-20-2009, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think those tracks are bad. It helps if you're a Green fan, though.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It doesn't mention it, but drummer Godfrey Mc(C)Lean was the drummer on Peter's End Of The Game album....and on a few tracks of his comeback album In The Skies
Old 03-20-2009, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
It doesn't mention it, but drummer Godfrey Mc(C)Lean was the drummer on Peter's End Of The Game album....and on a few tracks of his comeback album In The Skies
Yes, Chili , a good drummer indeed and also according to Jeremy Spencer, Peter at that time - summer 1970 - liked very much Godfrey's drumming.......

C.Hjort's book has a very interesting quote about the Gass sessions, but I will post about it later......

Mario.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question

Here we go again.....

quote from C.Hjort book pag.315: "Green plays guitar on "Juju" and "Black Velvet" for the group (Gass) eponymous first album. Not much is known about this sessions, but Beat Instrumental (October 1969) comments how Peter Green has spent time at De Lane Lea in London recently, ostensibly to finish his own album featuring the coloured group Gass, with whom Peter has been working regulary"

So, there is a natural question for you all at the Ledge: is it possible that Peter started to record his solo album using the Gass as backing band and then dissappointed dropped the idea, so "Juju" and "Black Velvet" ended up to part of the Gass album instead?

The Peter Green story tell us not, Mac's live tapes from that era - December 1969/April 1970 show that Peter was already in his The End Of The Game-free form fase, but as Peter was even at 24 a complete master musician everything is possible.

What do you think?

Mario.

ps: I don't know if my English is ok, but I do the best I can.....
Old 03-21-2009, 03:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
Here we go again.....

quote from C.Hjort book pag.315: "Green plays guitar on "Juju" and "Black Velvet" for the group (Gass) eponymous first album. Not much is known about this sessions, but Beat Instrumental (October 1969) comments how Peter Green has spent time at De Lane Lea in London recently, ostensibly to finish his own album featuring the coloured group Gass, with whom Peter has been working regulary"

So, there is a natural question for you all at the Ledge: is it possible that Peter started to record his solo album using the Gass as backing band and then dissappointed dropped the idea, so "Juju" and "Black Velvet" ended up to part of the Gass album instead?

The Peter Green story tell us not, Mac's live tapes from that era - December 1969/April 1970 show that Peter was already in his The End Of The Game-free form fase, but as Peter was even at 24 a complete master musician everything is possible.

What do you think?

Mario.

ps: I don't know if my English is ok, but I do the best I can.....
I have not been listening to the GAS stuff. I hated End of the Game the first time I heard it 2 years ago, but it has grown on me, and I really appreciate it now. To continue with the same or some of the musicians from the sessions would be a logical conclusion to draw. But then again that period of time - also with regard to PG (who is notoriously predictable in his unpredictability) is not exactly driven by logic.

I think your command of english is fine, Mario! Just keep posting....and stay green!

Ms Moose
Old 03-27-2009, 12:03 PM
Ledgie

Default Thanks to all...

I am very greatful to all who posted in response. A real global community, Australia, USA, Italy, UK, Denmark et al. Makes me feel good to be a part of it.

What do I think of GAS - JuJu ? It sound to me like a band who are trying to be original, but take themselves to seriously. It may grow on me more with listening, but I'm not sure I want to invest that much time to it.

I had to hear it .... now I have.