User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
The answer is: No one knows. I just watched Lindsey's behind the music that was filmed right after Out of the Cradle tour. That album had the best reviews with some saying it was one of the best albums EVER. Clearly that album could have had several radio hits. Lindsey admitted himself that he found it frustrating that his creative hit production that worked so well with the Mac did not work in his solo career. Out of the cradle and the tour were not successful which really hurt Lindsey and he openly admitted that. Everyone knows who Stevie Nicks is even before she went solo. Not many know who Lindsey is. He does have great songs that could have been hits but I don't think there is an explanation why his solo career is not commercially successful.
But its not just Lindsey. Same situation with the Go-Gos. Belinda was the least talented while Jane Wiedlin wrote most of the songs and music of all the hits of the Go Gos. Belinda had a more successful solo career than even the Go Gos. Jane opened stated how frustrated she was that her solo career went nowhere even though she was the magic behind all of the Go Go's success.
There is no answer to this question. IMHO the lack of success as a solo artist is why Lindsey went back to the band in 1997 and stayed there. If he had a successful solo career, I don't think he would have went back.
He did take over several FM albums, namely TITN and SYW, loading them with his solo things that wouldn't sell otherwise. Even The Dance is quite Lindsey solo-ish in parts. And Buck McVie is about half Lindsey solo. He seems to like producing everything for FM and packing their albums with solo work.

Very little of what he has done has had any commercial success at all, really, except the girls' songs which he produced. Something about his writing, his singing, his whole persona on record and on stage is, well, off-putting.

I remember well listening to TITN with friends and seeing faces pucker when Lindsey's songs came on.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:20 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
Very little of what he has done has had any commercial success at all, really, except the girls' songs which he produced.
He had more top 10 hits in Fleetwood Mac than Stevie did?
Old 08-22-2018, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeets2000 View Post
He had more top 10 hits in Fleetwood Mac than Stevie did?
if you look at the top 25 he fares poorly behind Chris and Stevie. and let's not discuss his solo career.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:58 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
if you look at the top 25 he fares poorly behind Chris and Stevie. and let's not discuss his solo career.
Oh, for sure. Frankly, Christine obliterates them both. I just was pushing back on your characterization that little of Lindsey's work had "any commercial success at all" when a look at the charts shows that's pretty clearly not true.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeets2000 View Post
Oh, for sure. Frankly, Christine obliterates them both. I just was pushing back on your characterization that little of Lindsey's work had "any commercial success at all" when a look at the charts shows that's pretty clearly not true.
oK then, almost no commercial success at all.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Very little of what he has done has had any commercial success at all, really, except the girls' songs which he produced.
But that is his work. He's the orchestrator and arranger of many, many hit songs — by other writers. He has always put most of his creative energy into it. He used to say often how his main role in the band wasn't as a singer or a writer but as an arranger and orchestrator. I think that's his greatest career prestige, that and guitar playing.

Quote:
Something about his writing, his singing, his whole persona on record and on stage is, well, off-putting.
Oh, he's had his moments on record and especially onstage where everything came together quite nicely, and the crowd loved him. He's not everyone's cup of tea (and apparently not yours), but he's a boutique favorite, as he has said.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-23-2018, 06:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He did take over several FM albums, namely TITN and SYW, loading them with his solo things that wouldn't sell otherwise. Even The Dance is quite Lindsey solo-ish in parts. And Buck McVie is about half Lindsey solo. He seems to like producing everything for FM and packing their albums with solo work.

Very little of what he has done has had any commercial success at all, really, except the girls' songs which he produced. Something about his writing, his singing, his whole persona on record and on stage is, well, off-putting.

I remember well listening to TITN with friends and seeing faces pucker when Lindsey's songs came on.
Stevie didn’t even want to contribute to TITN. The songs she wrote sucked. Her only hit was written by someone else. Most of the she contributed to SYW were rejects. He took over because he had too. She did not put her best foot forward.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Stevie didn’t even want to contribute to TITN. The songs she wrote sucked. Her only hit was written by someone else. Most of the she contributed to SYW were rejects. He took over because he had too. She did not put her best foot forward.
I cannot compare Stevie's SYW songs with his, it is in many ways her best solo album of nine songs. His production was amazing. His actual songs on SYW? Oh dear...
Old 08-23-2018, 08:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I cannot compare Stevie's SYW songs with his, it is in many ways her best solo album of nine songs. His production was amazing. His actual songs on SYW? Oh dear...
His songs were stellar, not hers.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
His songs were stellar, not hers.
Respectful gotta disagree with you there, I think Stevie's songs on SYW are fantastic.

Illume, Thrown Down, Running Through The Garden, Everybody Finds Out and Destiny Rules are five excellent songs from Stevie. I even think Say You Will, Silver Girl and Goodbye Baby have their charm as well. The only songs from Lindsey I like on SYW are Miranda, Bleed to Love Her and Steal Your Heart Away.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Respectful gotta disagree with you there, I think Stevie's songs on SYW are fantastic.

Illume, Thrown Down, Running Through The Garden, Everybody Finds Out and Destiny Rules are five excellent songs from Stevie. I even think Say You Will, Silver Girl and Goodbye Baby have their charm as well. The only songs from Lindsey I like on SYW are Miranda, Bleed to Love Her and Steal Your Heart Away.
Ditto, and Miranda grates after two listens as well. Stevie's songs on SYW shine brighter than most of her solo work, and with Lindsey's complex production they never fail to intrigue even after 15 years.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I know it's not the angry version or whatever, but Smile at You is one of my favorite Fleetwood Mac songs ever. I put all of her SYW songs, along with Not Make Believe at the end and You Can't Fix This at the beginning, together to make Stevie's "lost album."

I'll certainly listen to Lindsey's songs too, but I love my Stevie Nicks Say You Will "album." It's as special to me as her actual records.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Saw this on the Stevie Nicks Daily fb page.

Old 08-24-2018, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just can't wait to see Stevie "acting" again. (And I say that with love)
Maybe she'll be a little better this time. In defense of last time, she did say she had no idea she'd be doing all that dialog until she showed up. She should be better prepared at least this time. Hopefully asked for a script to be sent ahead of time.

Jamie
Old 08-24-2018, 06:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
That was a joke dude or dudess...
Over my head I guess. Who is Coco Puffington? My memory fails me. Is dudess a word? Let's just say I'm a man.