The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-12-2002, 09:59 AM

Default Lindsey as performer

I really can't decide if I am going to see Fleetwood Mac again when they tour next year. It isn't that I wouldn't love to see it. I would. But I am a little concerned that the show again will be too orchestrated. If the band releases a concert video, we can expect to see the same songs and even the same banter at our local arenas. Fleetwood Mac lacks the stage spontaneity that makes me want to go see a band live. If they played a lot of new songs and some rarities, I'd would be very happy.

Having said that, one of the most charming things about Lindsey as a performer is his apparent humility. When he talks during The Dance video his nervousness is palpable. And I don't think that's an act. He seems almost insecure, then he starts playing and blows you away. That is a wonderful quality in him as a performer. He's good, he knows he's good, we know he's good, but he almost seems a little afraid to unleash all that goodness on us. As if he is insecure about how it will be accepted.
Old 11-12-2002, 11:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Where The Dance video was released before the Dance tour, I think that maybe this documentary that's being filmed might be released for this new album. That could be a nice way to go because it whets the appetite but won't give away the stage show. Course little hints about the stage show won't hurt too much...

I know that I want to see them regardless because I just can't pass up the opportunity, but I am still trying to decide how much about the concerts I want to read on the Ledge before I can get to whichever show(s) I go to. I'll be interested to know what's going on, but it's not as fresh if I know all of the highlights before I get there. I'm going to dare to hope that they change things up a little bit more on this upcoming tour than on the Dance tour.

Now that I think about it, I'm curious about the scope of the documentary actually. It might be interesting to film the project from beginning to end - from laying down tracks to mixing to rehearsals to first show of the tour - or something like that. Several radio stations around the country are running contests to send people to a rehearsal. I wonder if they'd film that since it would be in front of a live audience?

Very well stated about LB as performer. It's something that you can see in performances all throughout the years. There are several shows where he also begins to tell some stories and make a few poignant remarks, but then just as quickly apologizes for going on so much. Hehe. I don't perceive his humility to be put on at all either and ultimately always find it very endearing.
Old 11-12-2002, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Such luxury... I wish I could've been able to decide, but it has been 8 years since the mac performed here, and that was the Bramlet/Mason version. I'd go nuts if they would perform here with LB, probably would go more than once, if there'd be more than one concert, of course.
Old 11-12-2002, 02:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I am so eager to see Lindsey live that even if he does the same thing every single show I will go to more than one, simply to be treated to the raw energy radiating off of him when he plays (I realize that sounds pretty vague lol). Yes, it's tiresome to hear the "scripts" - frankly, I get a little embarrassed for him when he makes the same jokes at every show because it's so obvious.

However, do you think this lack of spontaneity stems from the insecurity you refer to? That if he ventures too far off of his "script" he might say something that he'll be embarrassed about or that we, the audience, might scoff at. I think you're right on about how insecure he is about audience reception. I guess he must really have no idea how much his fan base adores him. I'm just SO glad that he's able to let himself go and rock so hard once the talking stops and the playing begins. That's what I'm there for, not the chatter in between!

I understand how you guys that have been to a lot of Mac concerts might be less tolerant of that, of course, but I have never had that experience and, seeing as how this is probably their last tour, I'm going to soak up as much of it as possible....even if it means living on rice crispies and soup for a while to save up enough of my below-poverty-level grad student assistant pay!

(Well, OK, perhaps I'll get a little more variety in my menu than that, lol, but you get the idea!)

Old 11-12-2002, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Speaking of straying from the script (lifted from burnish.net site):

"Thank you. Yeah, welcome home. This is uh...this is my home. I...I grew up and...and spent the first 23 years before we went down to seek our fortune...about 5 miles up the road. And uh...it's good to be back. I'd like to uh...I'd like to say hello to all of my family and...and friends and...long time friends that are all here tonight. And that uh, I feel their presence very strongly, and I even feel the presence of a few who are no longer with us. So...um, anyway, I don't want to go on too long here, but I
just...I had to say that." - Lindsey in San Jose, 1997

With a quick "I don't want to go on too long here, but I just had to say that" almost apologetic conclusion.
Old 11-12-2002, 02:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember back in the early days of Lindsey's tenure, he was more spontaneous in his song intros. However, I went to a show in San Diego in late Feb/early March of 1977...he was starting to introduce "...a song from our new album 'Rumours'..." intending to introduce "Dreams", when actually they were going to play "Rhiannon". Christine caught his attention by saying "...this is NOT from our new album Rumours..."; ...Lindsey was visibly shaken of embarrassment, could barely get "they changed the set on me" out of his mouth...then covered his face with his hand and turned his back to the audience. Just as Lindsey started counting off "Rhiannon" with his back still to the audience, John stepped to the mic and said, "We are NOT a professional band". Then the band proceeded to just play one of the more kick-ass versions of the song they've ever played.

I wonder if this one incident had some significant influence on "the script" eversince???
Old 11-12-2002, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I read that too, and I was thinking, Gee I wish he would say more! It makes me think of what he said about "music is a purer form of expression" or something like that.

I guess he thinks we don't want to hear it, or maybe he is just a little shy about revealing too much, so he sticks to his over-rehearsed lines.

I just love the fact that he is a little nerdy and even somewhat dorky until he starts to channel, using the guitar as a kind of an antenna to the soul. THEN his whole persona and aura changes right before your eyes, from the rather insecure and modest guy into this very unihibited creature that exudes confidence and taps into a deep undercurrent of sexuality. WHEW! That's what makes him just such an awesome live performer, because he just lets the music take him away, he gives himself over to it completely, and he sweeps you along with him. Afterwards, I just feel so much gratitude to him for allowing us to hitch a ride on his tail wind. Thanks, Lindsey!

It really is incredible to watch, and I think I can sit through some canned jokes in order to get to that!
Old 11-12-2002, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
I remember back in the early days of Lindsey's tenure, he was more spontaneous in his song intros. However, I went to a show in San Diego in late Feb/early March of 1977...he was starting to introduce "...a song from our new album 'Rumours'..." intending to introduce "Dreams", when actually they were going to play "Rhiannon". Christine caught his attention by saying "...this is NOT from our new album Rumours..."; ...Lindsey was visibly shaken of embarrassment, could barely get "they changed the set on me" out of his mouth...then covered his face with his hand and turned his back to the audience. Just as Lindsey started counting off "Rhiannon" with his back still to the audience, John stepped to the mic and said, "We are NOT a professional band". Then the band proceeded to just play one of the more kick-ass versions of the song they've ever played.

I wonder if this one incident had some significant influence on "the script" eversince???
I had to laugh when I read that.
Old 11-12-2002, 03:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

ChiliD, I guess you and I were typing at the same time, so I missed replying to your account of Lindsey's embarassment. Knowing all the things we have heard and read about his perfectionism, it seems that could very well have played a part in it.

He doesn't seem to tolerate mistakes, his own or anyone else's, very well.
Most perfectionists are the hardest on themselves. He only loves the tallest trees, after all! lol!
Old 11-12-2002, 04:01 PM

You know, I started thinking about this after going to an intimate gig on Saturday with a bunch of local performer/songwriter types. One of the performers has this truly wonderful voice and a beautiful fingerpicking style that just sounds as fresh as spring when you hear it. But in introducing her songs, she came across as somewhat timid and insecure. Then she started playing and blew us away. It made me think of Lindsey, and how that charm born of stage insecurity is something that really connects with audiences, especially when the performer is truly special.

On a different occasion, I had seen this performer do a song about an embarrassing moment and how long it took her to get over it. In fact, writing the song was therapeutic for her in dealing with the incident.

I read with interest Chili's account of Lindsey's little stage contretemps. I wouldn't doubt that, and probably some other incidents early on, had something to do with his painstaking care to say certain things on stage in a certain way.
Old 11-12-2002, 07:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Lindsey Live

Personally I think Lindsey strikes a perfect balance onstage - not too polished but definitely in charge. It's a combination of shyness and confidence and intensity - hard to explain - all I know is I can't keep my eyes off of him when he's performing.

His stage presence for the Out of the Cradle performances was great - he seemed relaxed and like he was having the best time of his life! (In fact, I think he said he was).

I'd like to see Fleetwood Mac produce a documentary DVD that would include the making of the album, footage of the tour and the concert with backstage footage . . .kinda like Les suggested.

Barbara
Old 11-12-2002, 10:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Heart Ahhh..Lindsey...

That's what I love about Lindsey, his magnetism drips off of him when he's onstage playing that axe!! He does have a hard time putting his thoughts out there in an eloquent way, so he uses his music to "speak" for him! You can just tell he's feeling every single note he plays and he conveys that to the audience. When he does that "head shake" (especially back in the day, with the fro, I watch my videos and go, OMG, his head is gonna snap off! LMAO!!) and when he bends backward and forward when playing, that's him "feelin it".

When I watch The Dance, I want to cry because after he plays "Big Love" (I believe), he does this "YEAH!" gesture with his arm, then puts his hand over his heart like, "Aw shucks, thanks." He's so proud of himself and the audience gave him an ovation. I would LOVE to have an audience stand and clap for me, I'll bet it's the BEST feeling in the entire world!! EGO BOOST!

I know what it's like to stammer and stutter when trying to say something, I get nervous and can't say what I want to say eloquently. It's frustrating and that's why I'm a writer and not a public speaker. LOL
Old 11-13-2002, 12:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Regarding the original post...I hope they mix it up a little with this new tour. You were right about the Dance tour being too "scripted" especially with the performances. I thought they held back from jamming out and trying some other things. I guess it was the reunion tour so I forgive them.

Still...I think that their musical talents as a band are to great to not jam a little on stage. How about some improvisation guys??? I am reminded of a John Mellancamp concert I went too a few years back. He basically regurgitated his hits note for note...totally boring. I could have popped in his greatest hits CD and gotten the same effect without throwing down the 30 bucks. I mean I wasn't a huge fan of his to begin with and that show didn't help.

I want to be entertained at a live show, show me something different...something I can't hear on the radio for free.

Concerning his speeches on the Dance tour...consider this; most of the people at those shows probably weren't as into the band as we are here so they may not have heard those scripted speeches before. We get word for word reviews minutes after every show so of course we can be a little more critical. It's kind of like comics who tour and do the same routines in every city they play. They figure it's a new crowd every time....

Take it easy...

"The biggest conspiracy has always been the fact that there is no conspiracy. Nobody's out to get you. Nobody gives a sh*t whether you live or die. There, you feel better now? "

"(Sept. 11) was a big thing for me. I was saying to liberal America, "Well, what are you offering?" And they said, "Well, we're not going to protect you, and we want some more money." That didn't interest me."
- Dennis Miller
Old 11-13-2002, 03:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I am reminded of a John Mellancamp concert I went too a few years back. He basically regurgitated his hits note for note...totally boring.
EXACTLY the same as how I felt after seeing the Eagles back in 1976...I could've saved the money and listened to their albums. Fleetwood Mac always seemed to take their songs to new places live (main example, "Not That Funny"...its almost a completely different song live than the stodgy studio version on "Tusk"). But, I really don't think Lindsey, Stevie, Mick & John are the type to really stretch out like the Peter Green era Fleetwood Mac did...don't think we'll be hearing any 25 minute versions of "Rattlesnake Shake" on this coming tour! Maybe a 30 minute VESTurbation solo from Mick during "Not That Funny", again, though!

Quote:
Concerning his speeches on the Dance tour...consider this; most of the people at those shows probably weren't as into the band as we are here so they may not have heard those scripted speeches before.
But, they were the same speeches as "The Dance" VIDEO, too. I could understand if they were the same at each show of the tour, but at least make them different from the video.

Lindsey's just gotten really stiff when it comes to talking (he WASN'T that way back between 1975-77)...and he sounded equally nervous at the end of the tour when I saw them as he did during the video taping (which I could understand since it basically was their first live performance together in 15 years). Whereas, by comparison, Paul McCartney did the same schtick between the same songs at every stop on HIS tour, but he made it sound each night like it was the first time he'd ever said those things, PLUS he made it seem like he was talking to close friends in his living room, not 25,000 people in an arena.
Old 11-13-2002, 07:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD

Lindsey's just gotten really stiff when it comes to talking (he WASN'T that way back between 1975-77)...and he sounded equally nervous at the end of the tour when I saw them as he did during the video taping. Whereas, by comparison, Paul McCartney did the same schtick between the same songs at every stop on HIS tour, but he made it sound each night like it was the first time he'd ever said those things, PLUS he made it seem like he was talking to close friends in his living room, not 25,000 people in an arena.

Well...I guess one person can only have so much talent. Perhaps public speaking isn't a strong point of his. At least he articulates well with the old gee-tar.

"The biggest conspiracy has always been the fact that there is no conspiracy. Nobody's out to get you. Nobody gives a sh*t whether you live or die. There, you feel better now? "

"(Sept. 11) was a big thing for me. I was saying to liberal America, "Well, what are you offering?" And they said, "Well, we're not going to protect you, and we want some more money." That didn't interest me."
- Dennis Miller