Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Miranda

Is Miranda about Stevie?People have several different opinions about it but I think it is.Any insight?
Old 07-06-2014, 10:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Lines this THESE:

"The lights shine down the marina
All across her safety zone
But loneliness follows Miranda
And Miranda is always alone”

do seem to fit VERY well with Stevie but (for once?) I agree with the general consensus that it's mostly about Anne Heche, with some fictionalisation and generalisation worked in. Her account of her and L’s relationship in her autobiography basically amounts to ‘met him on the plane and he chatted me up. I had no idea who he was.’ Then:

He bought me a CD before we went to the show and I was blown away. I was blown away, and then he was blown away. At least that’s what he said. Men will say anything to get a girl into bed, I’m aware of that now. I wanted to believe him and he may have told the truth, but that doesn’t negate my notion of older men and their need for youth. I was on board with another guy in his forties/almost fifties who was trying to be in his twenties.

Lindsey and I traveled together for a while while he was on tour, and I tried to be the good girlfriend groupie. We had fun for about a year. We played, we sang. But I was playing for him and not for me. I needed my own career and wasn’t willing to sacrifice it for a rock star. I had just got cast in a John Frankenheimer movie and it seemed like the perfect time to make the split. Goodbye Lindsey. Hello Nashville.

That's it. In terms of the song, basically, Miranda seems to be about a girl who was abused by her father (“she sees her father holding her down”) and turns to various means for some kind of escape. She apparently also “can’t stand to be loved, but she loves to be seen”. Anne actually talked in her book about her father sexually abusing her so that fits rather too well. She also seems to have issues with feeling loved (felt undeserving etc) but craved and loved attention. So, if Anne ISN’T Miranda I feel safe in saying that she’s at least probably somewhat in this song. Like others, it may be part fictionalised, as well as part amalgam of various women he’s known.

All IMHO.

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 07-07-2014, 10:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole21290 View Post
Lines this THESE:

"The lights shine down the marina
All across her safety zone
But loneliness follows Miranda
And Miranda is always alone”

do seem to fit VERY well with Stevie but (for once?) I agree with the general consensus that it's mostly about Anne Heche, with some fictionalisation and generalisation worked in. Her account of her and L’s relationship in her autobiography basically amounts to ‘met him on the plane and he chatted me up. I had no idea who he was.’ Then:

He bought me a CD before we went to the show and I was blown away. I was blown away, and then he was blown away. At least that’s what he said. Men will say anything to get a girl into bed, I’m aware of that now. I wanted to believe him and he may have told the truth, but that doesn’t negate my notion of older men and their need for youth. I was on board with another guy in his forties/almost fifties who was trying to be in his twenties.

Lindsey and I traveled together for a while while he was on tour, and I tried to be the good girlfriend groupie. We had fun for about a year. We played, we sang. But I was playing for him and not for me. I needed my own career and wasn’t willing to sacrifice it for a rock star. I had just got cast in a John Frankenheimer movie and it seemed like the perfect time to make the split. Goodbye Lindsey. Hello Nashville.

That's it. In terms of the song, basically, Miranda seems to be about a girl who was abused by her father (“she sees her father holding her down”) and turns to various means for some kind of escape. She apparently also “can’t stand to be loved, but she loves to be seen”. Anne actually talked in her book about her father sexually abusing her so that fits rather too well. She also seems to have issues with feeling loved (felt undeserving etc) but craved and loved attention. So, if Anne ISN’T Miranda I feel safe in saying that she’s at least probably somewhat in this song. Like others, it may be part fictionalised, as well as part amalgam of various women he’s known.

All IMHO.
Thanks for that info Nicole!I knew that Bucky and Anne were together but I didn't know enough about Anne(the abuse and non-deserving)to make any connection.The part about the father holding her down,I thought,may have been about Stevie's dad and the way she had to move around all the time as a child due to his job,that is,"holding her down"emotionally, not physically.The marina,lights,and safety zone parts also sent me in the Stevie direction because of her love of the water/ocean and also her love for admiration and attention.Maybe about both?Who knows-ohhh... to be a fly on the wall....
Old 07-10-2014, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Also, John Stewart used the name "Miranda" in his song "Midnight Wind" which Lindsey & Stevie were involved in the recording of. (yes, I LOVE to end sentences with prepositions...it's kind of my "thing")