Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Lindsey B. on the radio

I had a nice beach day yesterday in the morning. I heard Lindsey Buckingham, Looking Forward, Looking Back on my local, classic rock radio station. I heard the promo for it Friday, & then remembered it when I was on the beach a little after 10:30 a.m. (It had come on @ 10 a.m.) I have this little, black radio; it runs on like on 4 AA batteries, so I didn’t think I’d get in the station on the beach, but it came in. And as soon as I found the station, I told my husband I wasn’t leaving this spot until I heard the rest of it. The first Mac song that I heard as I was running around the dial was Rhiannon, & it was a live version that I never heard before. It wasn’t from The Dance. You could hear more of Lindsey’s guitar playing (who, BTW, the announcer said was one of the more underrated guitar players of our day & ITA). I really liked this live version of this song. If anyone knows where I can find it, please let me know. So the other songs they played were, Gypsy, Second Hand News, Dreams, What Makes You Think You’re the One (which Lindsey said the drums were really good on this song thanks to Mick), The Chain & Go Your Own Way. Lindsey would comment here & there. When Go Your Own Way first came out someone big, & I didn’t catch the name, didn’t like this song. Lindsey called him up & asked him why he didn’t like it. And this man said that he didn’t like the beat. That made me LOL. They played I Am Waiting from Lindsey’s Under My Skin album. He commented on it being a Stones' song. They also played Tusk. I don’t bring my iPod to the beach because I’m afraid the salt air will mess it up, so I was really happy Saturday morning listening to Lindsey Buckingham & Fleetwood Mac on the beach.

Lee
Old 06-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
When Go Your Own Way first came out someone big, & I didn’t catch the name, didn’t like this song. Lindsey called him up & asked him why he didn’t like it. And this man said that he didn’t like the beat. That made me LOL. Lee
Yeah, I like when Lindsey says that he was a lot feistier back then than he is now.

What a nice little surprise to get this on your radio, while enjoying a day of relaxation.

Michele
Old 06-20-2008, 10:26 AM
Senior Ledgie

I heard that program too. I actually sat out in my car the whole time because I knew this was a once in a lifetime opportunity. I liked certain aspects like the GYOW story, and of course Lindsey being called one of the most underrated artists in music. But the song selection was so terrible! If its a spotlight on Lindsey, and you pick the "Live" version of Rhiannon as your live song of the week, you're not really showcasing Lindsey. They should have picked GYOW from the same show! I dont know, I walked away from that radio show pretty pissed off because they called it a Lindsey Buckingham show, but turned it into a Fleetwood Mac show. Bleck.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

They used to play "Soul Drifter" regularly over here in Germany in the years past the release of OOTC, when I still listened to radio stations. But in recent years with every radio station that plays pop music turning to one and the same format, listening to the radio has gotten incredibly boring. It's like the radio stations have realized that they've lost the former napster crowd - now iPod crowd forever to the internet, and don't want to take any risk in winning these people back.
I've been recording mixtapes since the early 90s whilst further building my CD collection, so I've never been that dependant on the radio anyway.
Being a bit offtopic (though maybe not on the sister boards), I can say that they did play "Temporary One" because I remember hearing it come up while I was at work, and they probably still play "Love Shines" on the radio in Germany. I remember once hearing "Peacekeeper" come up whilst riding shotgun in somebody else's car. But I can't recall hearing any songs from Stevie's recent solo records TISL and SA on the radio in Germany ever.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's amazing how far the music still reaches. Since the SYW tour lasted as long as it did, I'm really surprised it was not more of a WORLD tour. FM still has fans all over and they could really hit all the places they hit during the Tusk tour. They were in Germany for SYW, but not New Zealand, France, Holland, Japan . . . I think there's still some gold to mine in those places.

Michele
Old 06-21-2008, 04:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JbbyStew86 View Post
If its a spotlight on Lindsey, and you pick the "Live" version of Rhiannon as your live song of the week, you're not really showcasing Lindsey.
Although he does something with some feedback during that performance that is really quite brilliant.

Anyone have any guesses?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 06-21-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Although he does something with some feedback during that performance that is really quite brilliant.

Anyone have any guesses?
he used it to create another sound on stage
Old 06-21-2008, 09:20 PM
Senior Ledgie

without a doubt the guitar on that song is really great, and you're right about the sound on stage. its really impressive. but he seems to do the same thing with GYOW, which is not only his masterpiece, but some equally as wicked guitar playing, maybe even more so!