Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murrow View Post
there was no food other than rock cakes
Ha, very appropriate... though the guests might have enjoyed some bluesberry tarts too!
Old 01-26-2015, 08:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I note that in the other thread about Benifold there was a poster whose grandfather had owned (and named) Benifold.

Has anyone tried contacting them with a PM to see if they or a relative knew of Mrs Scarrott?

Scarrott as a surname isn't all that common.

According to the Find-a-grave website, there is a Mrs Scarrott buried in the All Saints Churchyard in Headley. She was born in 1918, so would be 54 in 1972 - the Mrs Scarrott on the record sounds a little older than that.

Of course, Find-a-grave relies on user contributions, and not all cemeteries are complete - some just have the few entries individuals have posted.

Last edited by Neb-Maat-Re; 01-26-2015 at 09:21 PM..
Old 01-27-2015, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb-Maat-Re View Post
I note that in the other thread about Benifold there was a poster whose grandfather had owned (and named) Benifold.

Has anyone tried contacting them with a PM to see if they or a relative knew of Mrs Scarrott?

Scarrott as a surname isn't all that common.

According to the Find-a-grave website, there is a Mrs Scarrott buried in the All Saints Churchyard in Headley. She was born in 1918, so would be 54 in 1972 - the Mrs Scarrott on the record sounds a little older than that.

Of course, Find-a-grave relies on user contributions, and not all cemeteries are complete - some just have the few entries individuals have posted.
Unfortunately its not the Mrs Scarrott laid to rest in All Saints Churchyard. I managed to contact that lady's daughter who confirmed it was neither her mother not her grandmother.

However, she did say;
'fleetwood mac were very well known in those days,they would spend time in two places one was headley grange in liphook road and the other was in headley road but alass cant remember the name of the house,im so sorry but it was not my mother or grandmother, but there was another mr and mrs scarrott that lived in headley road'
Old 01-28-2015, 05:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I suspected it wasn't the Mrs Scarrott buried at All Saints. The information about the other Scarrotts in Headley Road is interesting.

Taking note of the names of the couple buried at All Saints, I had a look to see if I could find another Scarrott family in Headley. I thought I was on to something but the trail went dead. Here's what I found:

The 1957 electoral roll for Headley shows Henry S and Grace Scarrot living at Laurel Cottage. The address for Laurel Cottage on the 1957 roll is "Parish House Bottom". However, on later records the address is Headley Hill Road.

Harry Samuel Scarrott and Grace Tietjen are married in nearby Alton in 1939. It is the 2nd marriage for Harry, his first wife dying in 1938.

In 1932 Harry Scarrott is listed as the father of the bride for the marriage of his 23 year old daughter at All Saints. Their address is Laurel Cottage.

Harry, his first wife and their daughter aged 3 can be found on the 1911 census (living elsewhere at that time).

When Harry dies in 1974, the probate index lists his address as Laurel Cottage, Headley Hill Road, Headley.

So we clearly have a Mr Scarrott living in Headley Hill Road. But have we found Mrs Scarrott? Sadly, Grace Scarrott died in 1964, so it can't be her on the album.

I cannot find a good match on FreeBDM or Ancestry for Henry/Harry Scarrott marrying again after 1964.

Unfortunately the probate index does not tell us to whom the probate was awarded. The full probate file would tell us who that was, but it would cost £10 to obtain a copy.

I'm not in a position to put up the full £10 on the off chance the file would reveal a third unknown Mrs Scarrott - probate may have been awarded to the daughter.

Or - could there have been a 3rd family of Scarrotts in Headley?

(Note: Just to save anyone going down a possible dead-end, Ancestry suggests the birth of a possible son named Harry Samuel Scarrott born in 1905 the year after Harry Snr's first marriage, but I can't find a matching birth (or death) on FreeBDM to support this, and no son appears with the family on the 1911 census. I think the reference on Ancestry is an error.)

Last edited by Neb-Maat-Re; 01-28-2015 at 05:40 PM..
Old 01-28-2015, 08:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I was wondering whether there were any ideas as to who Mrs Scarrott is speaking to at the end. I'd always assumed it was Mick as he is supposedly the one who went around to her house with a tape recorder. However, listening to it back it isnt Mick. It sounds like somebody with a Northen English accent- Yorkshire?? Is this Mr Scarrott?

By the way, what exactly is being said...

Something about cake/tape?
'Theres a lot of pudding...'???
'If I didnt think so I wouldnt say anything'
Old 01-28-2015, 04:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If it is a Northern accent it is unlikely to be Harry Scarrott as he appears to have been born in Alton.

I have posted a message on The Pump message board at http://www.headley-village.com/ to see if that attracts a response.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If it is a Northern accent it is unlikely to be Harry Scarrott as he appears to have been born in Alton.

I have posted a message on The Pump message board at http://www.headley-village.com/ to see if that attracts a response.
Ha. I did that too.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Headley Village web site has a list of all monumental inscriptions at All Saints as of 1999. The only Scarrotts listed are Thomas (excluded above by his daughter) and Henry.

Henry is buried alone, and no wife or other family member is named.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Something about cake/tape?
'Theres a lot of pudding...'???
'If I didnt think so I wouldnt say anything'
Quote:
Lovely ...

This is all okay ...

Yes, I think so, yes ...

You do ... 'cos there's a lot I put into ... they can ...

If I didn't think so I wouldn't say anything ...
I'm just not certain about the italicised line - maybe thats what I think it should say.

Not sure I agree it's a Northern accent.

Last edited by Neb-Maat-Re; 01-29-2015 at 03:44 PM..
Old 01-29-2015, 06:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
I'm just not certain about the italicised line - maybe thats what I think it shouldl say.

Not sure I agree it's a Northern accent.
I agree with your transcription, in fact I think the italicized part is the part I'm most sure you're right about, perhaps it is "'cos there's a lot I put into it" describing to him how hard she worked on it and his remark is his way of assuring her he genuinely likes it.

Not sure on his accent but she always sounded Australian to me, the way she says "ours" in the poem reading. Maybe this is why she's been hard to track down, maybe she was buried back in Australia and not in that area? Just a thought.

John
Old 01-29-2015, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hmmmmm. I dont know where that comes from but Metro Lyric has the writer listed as Mrs E. Scarott

a) Her first initial isn't listed anywhere else
b) Everywhere else (including the sleeve notes obviously) its listed as Scarrott rather than Scarott

Is this website just wrong? ...I suspect so.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Is this website just wrong? ...I suspect so.
With the almost infinite variation of British surname spellings anything is possible, however it appears that Scarott is even less common than Scarrott.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of Scarotts recorded as living in Hampshire and none recorded in Headley, Alton or nearby.

How it was determined the initial was E might be interesting to know.

Is it possible to look up British copyright? I think I saw in one of the recent Tom Petty articles a breakdown of the copyright percentages - would that information be publicly accessible?
Old 01-29-2015, 04:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
I agree with your transcription
Thanks, John. I started to wonder if I was just making it up to make a sensible conversation rather than really hearing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood
Not sure on his accent but she always sounded Australian to me, the way she says "ours" in the poem reading. Maybe this is why she's been hard to track down, maybe she was buried back in Australia and not in that area?
I'll have to listen again tonight with my Australian ears. If she was buried in Aus it would make the search harder - each of the States has it's own separate Registry, and the search functions on some of them are not great.

The other thing that could be an issue is whether she is really Mrs Scarrott at all?

If the man is Harry as I suspect and this is his 3rd relationship but there is no record of a marriage it could be a de facto arrangement - perhaps people just knew her as Mrs Scarrott when it wasn't actually her name.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Thanks, John. I started to wonder if I was just making it up to make a sensible conversation rather than really hearing it.

I'll have to listen again tonight with my Australian ears. If she was buried in Aus it would make the search harder - each of the States has it's own separate Registry, and the search functions on some of them are not great.

The other thing that could be an issue is whether she is really Mrs Scarrott at all?

If the man is Harry as I suspect and this is his 3rd relationship but there is no record of a marriage it could be a de facto arrangement - perhaps people just knew her as Mrs Scarrott when it wasn't actually her name.
Good point, never thought of this. If this is the case, I wonder why they would say in the BT liner notes thanks for "her readings, recorded at her home" if it's not her though. I guess like you say, FM may have referred to her as Mrs. Scarrott as the others in the community did when she may not have been, on paper anyway. It sure would make this scenario more believable in context of the times as well. Sure in 1972, it wasn't as big a deal as it had been to live with someone and not be married but I'm sure it was a bigger deal then than it is now certainly so it's more of a chance this kind of set up may have existed.

Yeah I would ignore the E. 1st initial listing. It may very well end up being right but based on my work on the discography here, I have found many of those to be erroneous so I don't even use those as a source to stretch out this kind of info for the listing here now. Hopefully we can find out from a better source soon anyway.

John
Old 01-30-2015, 06:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

And the answer is:

Aileen!

Born Aileen Katie Mary HUGGETT, 1904, Eastbourn, Sussex

1st marriage: Alfred F Cager, Brighton, 1935

2nd marriage: Charles E Smith, Willesden, 1947

3rd marriage: Harry Scarrott, Surrey S W, 1966

Died: 1984, Cannock Chase, Staffordshire.

So, the 3rd marriage for both Harry and Aileen.

Evidence can be provided on request.