The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like the "Gypsy" on the Mirage video and, even more so, the acoustic one from the 2000 AHI benefit.

The one on the Mirage video is stripped down compared to the studio version, and if only for a change of pace that's okay by me. Stevie's vocal is a bit rough but she keeps in interesting by varying both the sonic and emotional tone of the delivery throughout the song. I also like Lindsey counter singing "she was just a wish" in place of "lightning strikes" on the last line.

Lindsey's guitar solo at the end of both versions (as in all versions) is fantastic.

Last edited by cbBen; 12-03-2019 at 07:49 PM..
Old 12-03-2019, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
I like the "Gypsy" on the Mirage video and, even more so, the acoustic one from the 2000 AHI benefit.

I also like Lindsey counter singing "she was just a wish" in place of "lightning strikes" at the end.

Lindsey's guitar solo at the end of both versions (as in all versions) is fantastic.
I would agree with this....it’s what saved the song. Stevie’s voice was completely shot due to not taking care of her pipes.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

The one on the Mirage video is stripped down compared to the studio version, and if only for a change of pace that's okay by me. Stevie's vocal is a bit rough but she keeps in interesting by varying both the sonic and emotional tone of the delivery throughout the song. I also like Lindsey counter singing "she was just a wish" in place of "lightning strikes" on the last line.

But she sings the verses in such monotonic fashion. I remember when the Mirage video came out, and we made fun of her monotone on it, back then!

I guess I've always been a sandy ***t.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbfan View Post
I always liked the acoustic version performed at the AHI benefit in 2000. Lindsey, and two others on acoustic guitars (I think Waddy was one of the other two). There is a video on YouTube of that performance.
https://youtu.be/m5HeRgOVOMw
Yes Waddy and who ... Carlos? I can’t recall.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendaze5 View Post

'Sara' on the 2008 'The Soundstage Sessions' version is just awful. Her voice is flat and with no nuances.
Didn’t the Soundstage producer beg her to do the song, even though she would have preferred not to?
Old 12-04-2019, 04:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Yes Waddy and who ... Carlos? I can’t recall.
Carlos Rios
Old 12-04-2019, 04:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Didn’t the Soundstage producer beg her to do the song, even though she would have preferred not to?
Yes she introduces the song by saying she usually reserves it for FM performances only, but the producer specifically asked her to do it for the Soundstage show.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
But she sings the verses in such monotonic fashion. I remember when the Mirage video came out, and we made fun of her monotone on it, back then!

I guess I've always been a sandy ***t.
Just "she is dancing away from me now" is monotone (which I think works). She mixes up the delivery throughout the song, to good effect.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:

I too like this version. Her vocals work for me on this video. Her version of it in Memphis, (same tour) are horrible in comparison.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I love this video. I love Stevie's look, boots, vocals, and facial expressions.
Yeah, me too. I really like the new look she took on here. If I remember correctly she was ditching all her black clothes to dispel the RUMOURS that she actually was a witch. Seems like she doesn't give a **** these days, nor does anyone else, because all she EVER wears, is black!

Aside from the looks and vocals of Nicks though, the song soars on the merits of the rest of the band. Some say Tusk was fragmented, but "Sara" comes across to me as a full on band effort. So lush and majestic that really no one minded listening to its' long running order on the radio at the time.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendaze5 View Post
When 'Sara' was finally brought back into the FM set in the new millennium, she dressed up in the same way at some shows, but it just didn't work. The red cloak made her look big, and her piled-up straightened hair didn't look like it did back then.
Yeah, her butt was a lot bigger by then! The youthful beauty of the original Sara was long gone and the same take of that just became a wasted parody. Even her parading over to Lindsey's mic to sing the last few lines of the song was a little too cliché for me. We all appreciate a little nostalgia, BUTT....
Old 12-06-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
Yeah, her butt was a lot bigger by then! The youthful beauty of the original Sara was long gone and the same take of that just became a wasted parody. Even her parading over to Lindsey's mic to sing the last few lines of the song was a little too cliché for me. We all appreciate a little nostalgia, BUTT....
I agree with how much of a band effort it is. You have Christine doing the intro on a tack piano. The rhythm section soars on this song. Stevie really shines.

I hate when she tries to parody herself. It's usually a big fail. Her attempts on the piano is always a horrible thing, too.