The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-08-2004, 03:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Why does everyone want to be suprised?

I would definately want to know because if none of the songs I liked were in the setlist and they got to the last song and I didn't hear any of my favorites, I would be dissapointed. So, even if the setlist is horrible- I'd prefer to know and be prepared. At least then I wouldn't be dissapointed.

Just my 2 cents on the issue of spoiling.

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 04-08-2004, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question

Not like I'm pretending to moderate or anything, but we already have two other threads going about the issue of spoilers. ["Important Please Read!" started by strandinthewind and "Farewell for awhile" started by Livia]. This post could have been a reply to one of those, instead of starting a whole new thread about it.

Just a thought.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Why does everyone want to be surprised?

Personally, I think the only way you are going to be surprised is to avoid as much as possible all printed matter... The boards on the net... and all other things Fleetwood Mac, until you've seen your show.

It's virtually impossible to NOT spoil something for someone if you read the boards and read every article posted... Just wait till the tour kicks in and people from these and other boards start seeing the shows.. Comments are going to be everywhere and Unless we put "SPOILER" at the beginning of every thread, people are going to find problems with what is posted.

As far as me, it's a choice I've made to come to these places to find the Up-To-The-Minute details on what is going on in the band, the tour, the set, what people are wearing, how they sounded, etc, etc.

Does this same "Spoiler" business mean that you don't want to know the track listing of any new albums that come out, like Christines in the future? So that when you buy it in the store, you can be "surprised" at how many, or how little tracks are on the disc.

I guess the question is, what do people come to these boards for?
Old 04-08-2004, 10:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree-if you don't want the setlist to be spoiled for you then don't come to a place where fans come to find out all the latest about their favorite group. Are you going to avoid reading reviews of the tour before it gets to your town so you won't hear anything about the setlist, or do you expect the paper will expend the "spoiler" in the bannerline courtesy to you too? If you wanna be surprised, you do the effort to not find out (avoid all media, etc.)!
Old 04-08-2004, 11:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What does it matter? Some people just don't want to know ahead of time! It's called - personal preference...

and typing the word "spoiler" isn't going to kill anyone....it worked for thread on the last tour and for the previous Stevie TISL tour..and I'm sure for tours before that....soooo....

It all comes down to just being considerate of others who prefer NOT to know ahead of time...

Now, I know I just like to be surprised.....I don't like to know the setlist of any artist I see live....it's part of the fun.
Old 04-09-2004, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think you just avoided all the valid points the previous poster made. do these people expect that by game time they will have absolutely NO clue what the band will be playing? like he said...you'd have to avoid all media and revgiews and other stuff to avoid finding out. it's a different sotry completely if the band changed the setlist up every night but FM is definiteiyl not like that. i dont care what your preference is.....you're gonna have a pretty hard time keeping it away from yourself
Old 04-09-2004, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think of some of you are confusing a news site with a message board. If you want the latest breaking news, go looking for it on the official sites. If you feel you must gather it here, do so with the knowledge that some other fans like to not know about it. That's where the word "spoiler" in the title of the thread comes in handy. People come here for various reasons, don't assume that because you come here for news that everyone else does.

Old 04-09-2004, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeVielhaber
I think you just avoided all the valid points the previous poster made. do these people expect that by game time they will have absolutely NO clue what the band will be playing? like he said...you'd have to avoid all media and revgiews and other stuff to avoid finding out. it's a different sotry completely if the band changed the setlist up every night but FM is definiteiyl not like that. i dont care what your preference is.....you're gonna have a pretty hard time keeping it away from yourself
The custom here has been since The Dance to put SPOILER in the subject line. Again, no one is forced to do it. But, now everyone knows that if they put a new song title, etc. in the subject thread instead of SPOILER, they are ruining it for some people. If they are cool with that - so be it.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 04-09-2004, 02:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ummm...actually I've been very active on this board through the TISL tour and this past tour...

And...I honestly had no clue what the set list was until I went...now after I saw the show I went wild on the posts I didn't read before...because there was no longer a secret...

I'm also a big Paul McCartney fan...and scan message boards etc on him...but guess what...I was completely clueless as to his setlist when I saw him in New York two years ago....so yes it is possible to be involved with media and message boards and not know these things come "game time"

I work in the media....

Trust me, it's not that hard to ignore information...if you know what to ignore...which is why we have such dandy rules or whatever here on the Ledge...

If you don't like to be surprised that's coo....my sister is like that, she just doesn't like surprises..she knew the whole McCartney setlist at concert time...but she knew I didn't want to know...so she respected that....

So it's really not impossible to not know the setlists of artists...

Dissention...ITA with your entire post
Old 04-09-2004, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Well...

Quote:
Originally posted by DrummerDeanna
If you don't like to be surprised that's cool....my sister is like that, she just doesn't like surprises..she knew the whole McCartney setlist at concert time...but she knew I didn't want to know...so she respected that....

I also knew Macca's setlist (Which changed from the first leg to the second leg for the US Tour...) and I was still surprised, Because even though I knew the setlist start-to-finish I did not know how each song would be specifically performed...Were they changed from the original, Were they more rockin'? You betcha

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 04-09-2004, 05:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have to admit - the one thing that really sucked for me for The Dance tour and the Say You Will tour is that I knew the whole show in exact order before I even got to the show.

We can't stop the internet - or all media for that matter -

I think it's another reason to put pressure on the band to mix things up a little and do a different show every night. If they're going to be on the road for over a year, they can throw in a few surprises each night.
Old 04-10-2004, 07:13 AM
joe

Personally, i have no patience. When someone says to me "oh, you know what?" and i say "what?" and they say "oh, nevermind"....forget it, you blew it...the cats out of the bag....you gotta tell me now....there's no going back.

I understand the whole spoiler thing. If you've been around this board then you know it's simple etiquette. However, you gotta be realistic and realize that things may get leaked and you may inadvertantly be exposed. If you really really really don't want to know, then you can't be on the message boards.

In a somewhat relative scenario....It's sort of like, "if you don't want anyone to know a secret, then tell noone." How many times do we tell something to someone with the disclaimer, "don't tell anyone." However, when you find out that someone else knows, besides the person you told, you scorn the person you initially told.
You know what, you really can't blame that person. Essentially, you, yourself, are the one to blame because YOU shouldn't have said anything in the first place. You essentially cannot trust anyone. Things have an unintentional way of being leaked.

So, what is my point here? Well, personally, i think Mick is the guilty party. If he didn't "spill the beans" we'd all still be wondering whether the set was going to change. We need to ban him from the media.
Old 04-10-2004, 07:16 AM
joe

i have to add one more thing....since i was NOT planning on going to any more shows, i would have been kicking myself till doomsday if i found out that they played "Sara" amongst other gems. So, i'm glad i found out. However, that's enough for me. No pun intended. Hey, maybe they'll do that one! But seriously folks, i don't need to know what other songs will be added. I got what i needed to know.