The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-09-2003, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've gone to many shows alone, usually hooking up w/ other Ledgies once there.

Quite often, buying a single "last minute" ticket will get you a better seat (i.e., first 5 rows) than searching for a pair, or more.

I'd rather be alone (~*~*~than be without you~*~*~*) at a show, get a killer seat, and make new friends w/ other diehard fans around me - than go w/ a non-diehard fan (just for the sake of not being alone) ANY day!

Old 12-09-2003, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Livia

Quite often, buying a single "last minute" ticket will get you a better seat (i.e., first 5 rows) than searching for a pair, or more.

I'd rather be alone (~*~*~than be without you~*~*~*) at a show, get a killer seat, and make new friends w/ other diehard fans around me - than go w/ a non-diehard fan (just for the sake of not being alone) ANY day!

AND sometimes you meet large, loud, busy people like me who yank you into the front row!!!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 12-09-2003, 02:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up I almost...

always prefer to go to a concert solo and meet up with fellow diehard fans than attend a show with someone who is just a casual fan...

I never had a bad experience attending a show as of this moment (Unless you count possible food-poisoning from the Hard Rock Cafe in Dallas this past July!)

I usually plan ahead for the shows I attend & always drive to the shows that are in a reasonable distance from my home (Though I have drove to Dallas twice in the past 2 years...And will once again this spring/summer!!!) since I won't waste money flying to a show that is less than 300 miles away.

Brian j.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 12-09-2003, 02:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

just to add a word of caution...since you are young and under 18.

use your common sense and trust your instincts, nutcases do tend to prey on lone travelers. While you're traveling, don't broadcast that you're traveling alone even to the desk clerk, hotel maid, toll taker whoever...

Get a travel guide and read it's safety tips over and over again even while your actually traveling to keep yourself alert!!!

Get a cellphone and travel with it...even if it's just temporary, you can probably hit your dad up for it's cost. Shows your mature and stuff...

I live in the Northeast and did some of the travel thing during the Wild Heart tour and had great fun and great memories...and I always promised myself to do it again...but never have so I say go for it but take your dad's warnings/concerns to heart.

I remember a man when he said to me
He said, "What do you do?"
I sing...

S. Nicks

Photobucket

www.myspace.com/bellafigura64
Old 12-09-2003, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

BTW, many states do have regulations about how old someone has to be to get a hotel room. I'm from Kansas, for example, where the age was 21. In Missouri, just across the border, it's 18. Guess where we had hotel parties in high school? ;-)

Even though they have those regulations, the vast majority of hotels don't check age, but you WILL need a credit card. They keep it on file for extra charges, and I've never encountered a hotel where it was easy to be able to check in without a credit card.

You mentioned before that you had a checking account- you should seriously consider getting a debit card for your account if that's a possibility. It'll work the same for you as a credit card but won't actually *be* a credit card.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Bella Figura
just to add a word of caution...since you are young and under 18.

use your common sense and trust your instincts, nutcases do tend to prey on lone travelers. While you're traveling, don't broadcast that you're traveling alone even to the desk clerk, hotel maid, toll taker whoever...

Get a travel guide and read it's safety tips over and over again even while your actually traveling to keep yourself alert!!!

Get a cellphone and travel with it...even if it's just temporary, you can probably hit your dad up for it's cost. Shows your mature and stuff...

I live in the Northeast and did some of the travel thing during the Wild Heart tour and had great fun and great memories...and I always promised myself to do it again...but never have so I say go for it but take your dad's warnings/concerns to heart.
Amen Bella!!!!

I just wanted to add, never, ever, meet up with anyone (even of the same sex) in their hotel room. Meet them in the lobby, in a cafe, or any other public place, but never in their room. Same goes for having them pick you up in their car from your hotel when you have never met them.

Having said that , don't be scared, just be cautious, as, unfortunately, there are a lot of creeps out there.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 12-09-2003, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

yep showed my age with that one...sometimes the MOM in me just pops out but it needed to be said. I could have used the same advice when I was doing my Wild Heart mini-tour, not that anything major happened but it could've very easily as I had just recently graduated high school, was starting my freshman year of college and still very naive.

And that's what this board is about...Ledgies helping Ledgies enjoy the MAC!!

I remember a man when he said to me
He said, "What do you do?"
I sing...

S. Nicks

Photobucket

www.myspace.com/bellafigura64

Last edited by Bella Figura; 12-09-2003 at 04:46 PM..
Old 12-09-2003, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
I just wanted to add, never, ever, meet up with anyone (even of the same sex) in their hotel room. Meet them in the lobby, in a cafe, or any other public place, but never in their room. Same goes for having them pick you up in their car from your hotel when you have never met them.

You sure as hell don't wanna wake up in a bathtub full of ice with a missing kidney.

Old 12-09-2003, 06:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by hayley
BTW, many states do have regulations about how old someone has to be to get a hotel room. I'm from Kansas, for example, where the age was 21. In Missouri, just across the border, it's 18. Guess where we had hotel parties in high school? ;-)

Even though they have those regulations, the vast majority of hotels don't check age, but you WILL need a credit card. They keep it on file for extra charges, and I've never encountered a hotel where it was easy to be able to check in without a credit card.

You mentioned before that you had a checking account- you should seriously consider getting a debit card for your account if that's a possibility. It'll work the same for you as a credit card but won't actually *be* a credit card.
I do have a debit card, so would that work in exchange for the credit card the hotel will normally ask for?

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 12-09-2003, 06:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Bella Figura
yep showed my age with that one...sometimes the MOM in me just pops out but it needed to be said. I could have used the same advice when I was doing my Wild Heart mini-tour, not that anything major happened but it could've very easily as I had just recently graduated high school, was starting my freshman year of college and still very naive.

And that's what this board is about...Ledgies helping Ledgies enjoy the MAC!!
Thanks so much for the advice and it sounds so much better coming from the ledgies because everyone is a fan of fleetwood mac and can really relate to how much I want to see them on tour.

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 12-09-2003, 08:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by diamondsnake
I do have a debit card, so would that work in exchange for the credit card the hotel will normally ask for?
If your debit card has a Visa/Mastercard logo on it it should work...like if it's a check card...and if you have a bank account, you should get a check card..they're fab! AND..that's what I always use to get hotel rooms
Old 12-09-2003, 08:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by DrummerDeanna
If your debit card has a Visa/Mastercard logo on it it should work...like if it's a check card...and if you have a bank account, you should get a check card..they're fab! AND..that's what I always use to get hotel rooms
Debit cards are great but I think that you might have to be 18 to get one. I can't remember because it's been awhile that I worked as a CSR in a branch. I seem to remember that you had to be 18 to apply for one for some reason but that might just be at my credit union.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by SpyNote
I can help you out if you decide to go alone. Here are some tips:

Solo
I usually go alone to concerts (for documention purposes) and get weird looks from people. Not because I am alone, but because I always dress in all black (I was so in the Tango in the Night look I am probably the only fan who likes Stevie's black dress night after night!) If you plan to document a show, you MUST go alone.

Buy tickets at the last minute
I always buy tickets one week to a few hours before the show. If you go solo, you can usually get a 5th row or better seat at almost any show. Remember, industry seats are always released at the last minute when they are no longer needed. Sometimes you can get a pair in a great spot, but front row solo seats are easier to get, as they usually pop up in the beginning, middle or end of a row to fill in the odd spot in that row. I went to ten shows on this current tour and was able to score front row at about half of them by waiting until the last minute. The Ledgies here (especially Livia, you ROCK girl are great about sending out last minute Ticketmaster alerts. It's still amazing to me that these fantastic seats become available.

And sometimes, fans desperate to unload their extra tickets at the last minute in front of the venue can give you a great discount on seats. I was able to get a 2nd row seat on the Enchanted tour for $50 (face value at the time) from a guy whose date didn't show up for the concert. I guess I was his date that night...he still had a good time

Cheap lodging
Motel 6 is probably the most decent and least expensive motel you'll be able to find (some Best Westerns are reasonable too). Their rates for single occupancy ranges from $40 to $80 a night, depending on what city you are in. If you are a member of AAA Insurance, you can get an additional 5% discount. AAA also gives out free maps and that discount book that golden braid mentioned. Some credit card companies offer lodging and transportation discounts, as well. Motels close to the venues and area attractions are always more expensive. If you don't mind driving, consider staying at a motel off the freeway away from the venue (although you'll have to pay $6-$15 for venue parking, as opposed to walking from your motel).

Bring your laptop
If you have a laptop, bring it! Wherever you're staying, you will need to connect to the internet so that you know what's going on and how to find things if you are not familiar with the area (e.g. MapQuest will generally get you in the right spot). If you don't have a laptop, use the public library in between shows for free internet access. On the same token, a cell phone is useful too (but that's kind of a given these days).

Bring your own food or eat theirs
OK, if you're truly on a budget, bring your own microwaveable food. Some Motel 6s have microwaves and freezers as immenities, take advantage of them. Bring a cooler with those blue ice packs, too, so you can keep them frozen while you're driving from one stop to the next.

Some Motel 6s have free continential breakfasts every morning between 6 and 9. Stock up on fruits, bagels, pastries and cereal. You have to be a bit bold for this one... Visit a nicer motel, in the area, one that you are not staying at, and crash their continental breakfast!

Flying tip
If you plan to fly during part of the trip, book your flight well in advance during the busiest time of the day. Airlines often overbook their flights and occasionally cannot accommodate everyone. If this should happen (and it does happen often), offer to give up your seat and take a later flight. If the flight is really overbooked, they will be very appreciative and offer a flight voucher, usually up to $300 (which you can use to fly to your next concert!). But they don't always offer the voucher (sometimes it's just lodging coupons, but those can save you money too), so you have to be persistent and ask.

About the credit card thing... I think you need one to reserve the room ahead of time. You might be able to get away with one of those pre-paid credit cards (gift cards) that Bank of America (and other banks) issues. It's identical to a credit card in almost every way. (They make GREAT Christmas gifts, too!)

I've never heard of any age restrictions in getting a room at a motel.
Wow! Thanks for all the information! A couple of questions:

About getting tickets a week to a few hours before the show, how would I do that? Would I need to purchase them online and check frequently for good seats? Also, how do I know when I have found the best seats and that they aren't going to get much better? Has it ever happened where you waited too long and no good seats were available? Do I just go up to the ticket stand before the concert and ask for their best ticket or what? Also, is it illegal to purchase tickets from someone just selling them on the street?

How can I use my laptop in a motel? Do they have connections in a motel or a computer room with all the hook ups? Also, don't most motels have a computer room where you can go on the web?

About the planes being overbooked, what if my flight got delayed and I didn't make it in time for the concert? That would be a horror story! Has this happened to anyone?

We were frail...
Save us...

Last edited by diamondsnake; 12-09-2003 at 10:51 PM..
Old 12-09-2003, 10:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Livia

Where do you get the last minute ticket, online? Or just right before you head in to the venue, at the ticket booth?

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 12-09-2003, 10:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by WelshWitchPMD
Debit cards are great but I think that you might have to be 18 to get one. I can't remember because it's been awhile that I worked as a CSR in a branch. I seem to remember that you had to be 18 to apply for one for some reason but that might just be at my credit union.
Well, I have one and I am not 18. However, my mother has to sign for it and say that she will take responsibility in case I spend too much, etc. You know?

We were frail...
Save us...