User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-24-2003, 11:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by gldstwmn
A year and a half ago I was a size four. I was taking antidepressants for a while in increasing doages to deal with the death of my brother from colon cancer. I'm now a size ten. I continued to work out almost every day during this whole time but still gained weight. I've been off of them since the begining of February. It's unbelievable what they can do to you.
I'm sorry to hear about your brother, sweetie. Hopefully they'll find a cure for cancer soon.

Antidepressants are awful; they make you feel worse. I went on antidepressants and they had the opposite effect; I ended up losing LOTS of weight. They suppressed my appetite to the point where I would never be hungry. After I lost all this weight, my doctor decided to mess with my doses and I gained back all the weight and even more within a month. I was fat and depressed. Whoever says that these drugs work is smoking crack. They mess with your body, make you overweight, and when you see yourself becoming this other person, you get even more depressed. The solution? More drugs. What does it equal? More weight and unhappiness.

Old 08-24-2003, 11:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention

I've stuck by her when I felt the music was sub-par, when other criticized her, and when she felt like she couldn't take it anymore. Why? Because of the joy she has brought to my life and the ways she has touched my soul like no one else. She is a remarkable woman, an icon, a legend, and the definition of strong. No one else compares, no one ever will. I'm a fan for life and that will never change.
I totally agree with you. She's not perfect but she's perfect for me. STEVIE RULES...... JUST 'CAUSE!!!!!!!!!
Debbie

You got a sweet heart
Never will you be replaced
Old 08-24-2003, 11:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by The Catdancer
I totally agree with you. She's not perfect but she's perfect for me. STEVIE RULES...... JUST 'CAUSE!!!!!!!!!
Debbie
Damn skippy!

It's the imperfections and acknowledgment of the imperfections that make her even more beautiful.

Old 08-24-2003, 11:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I talked to Lindsey in 1990. Of course this was way before the Clinton performance but back than he was very worried about her. He had performed with Fleetwood Mac in San Francisco and his whole family was there. They were really looking forward to seeing Stevie again, especially his sister in law Eileen because she and Stevie used to be close friends. But when she came in she didn't say a word to any of them. She did ask:"What the f*ck am I doing here? Where the hell are we?". Lindsey said to me:"We all have our moments but Stevie......". He just shook his head, sighed deeply and stared at her picture on the Rumours album (my friend had brought it for him to sign it).
Like most of you I've been a fan since Rhiannon so I lived through all the bad moments but I never left her side and never will.
Debbie
So are you saying that Stevie was so confused and drugged out she didn't even know where she was?

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 08-24-2003, 11:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
I'm sorry to hear about your brother, sweetie. Hopefully they'll find a cure for cancer soon.

Antidepressants are awful; they make you feel worse. I went on antidepressants and they had the opposite effect; I ended up losing LOTS of weight. They suppressed my appetite to the point where I would never be hungry. After I lost all this weight, my doctor decided to mess with my doses and I gained back all the weight and even more within a month. I was fat and depressed. Whoever says that these drugs work is smoking crack. They mess with your body, make you overweight, and when you see yourself becoming this other person, you get even more depressed. The solution? More drugs. What does it equal? More weight and unhappiness.
They advertise them on television. It's sick. And yes, hopefully they will find a cure someday soon.
Old 08-24-2003, 11:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Debbie
Well said.
Old 08-24-2003, 11:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by diamondsnake
So are you saying that Stevie was so confused and drugged out she didn't even know where she was?
That's the impression I got from Lindsey. A year before that, 1989, she did a show here in The Netherlands/Europe and although she knew exactly where she was when she was on stage, a friend of mine who had a backstage pass told me she didn't know where she was after the show. She said:"It's very nice to be here in Scandanavia. Oh no, we're in Germany. No that's it either". Than someone had to tell her where she was. My friend Tom thought it was a horrible experience, she was totally confused. But I think we should drop this subject. It's over and done with and I for one thank God that she came out of it alive and well. I haven't seen her & The Mac in concert yet but I know I'm in for one hell of a night. FLEETWOOD MAC OVER EUROPE..... AT LAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Debbie

You got a sweet heart
Old 08-25-2003, 12:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by gldstwmn
They advertise them on television. It's sick.
Can I jump on the 'antidepressants are terrible and should be banned' bandwagon? cause yeah, they suck. they suck ass.

Debbie, your conversation with Lindsey is breaking my heart. I echo your sentiments in thanking God that she came out on the other side alive and well and I hope you enjoy your FM concert~ you're in for an incredible night
Old 08-25-2003, 12:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Merf
Can I jump on the 'antidepressants are terrible and should be banned' bandwagon? cause yeah, they suck. they suck ass.

Debbie, your conversation with Lindsey is breaking my heart. I echo your sentiments in thanking God that she came out on the other side alive and well and I hope you enjoy your FM concert~ you're in for an incredible night
First, the antidepressants do suck, they made me so fat. I used to weigh about 125, 130 pounds.... now I'm 230 at least. But.... if I don't take them, I feel so bad I'm willing to jump off a building. I don't think that's the purpose of life.

Second, yes, I do thank God that she came out alive and well and stronger than ever. She is one hell of a woman. She went through the Exodus program and I know people who've been through that and that program is one of the hardest programs I've heard of. But she did it, she made it. She already had my utmost respect, even when she was doing drugs and drinking a whole lot, but now I respect her even more (if that's possible). She's a role modell for everyone who has an addiction and wants to get out of it, a true inspiration.
Debbie

You got a sweet heart
Old 08-25-2003, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I feel the Dance, specifically "Silver Springs" was a catalyst to Stevie re-gaining a lot of mainstream respect. TISL was a follow up to a new fresh and enchanting gypsy we all became re-infatuated with during the Dance. Im grateful she was able to rise above it all, like Don H. said at Stormy Weather last year "she's come through a lot of fires".

Dont forget she had to beg Lindsey to do the inaguration... so I agree, she was likely emotional and getting herself together, figuring things out for herself.

I read a report last week if you take fish oil supplements it helps with depression without the "non emotional" side effects some medicines can bring.

Im alone now, with my thoughts...
Old 08-26-2003, 10:55 PM
Senior Ledgie

"She was never as successful without the band however, and within ten years had become a parody of her former self, the archetypal blonde-locked spacey Rock Chick in flowing dresses. New York gay club Jackie 60--a regular hangout for drag queens in the early '90s used to have Stevie Nicks theme nights, a testament to how camp her image had become"

"She Bop: The Definitive History of Women in Rock, Pop, and Soul" - Lucy O'brien
& the voice of a choir
& a melody...
nothing else mattered
Old 08-26-2003, 11:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by flyfirefly
"She was never as successful without the band however, and within ten years had become a parody of her former self, the archetypal blonde-locked spacey Rock Chick in flowing dresses. New York gay club Jackie 60--a regular hangout for drag queens in the early '90s used to have Stevie Nicks theme nights, a testament to how camp her image had become"

"She Bop: The Definitive History of Women in Rock, Pop, and Soul" - Lucy O'brien
But do you think by now her image is respectable and not so campy? I think it is really disrespectful how these people at the shows dress up as Stevie. I think it is her style and like you said, if people are dressing up for something like it's Halloween it is turning her image into a parody.

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 08-27-2003, 02:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by diamondsnake
But do you think by now her image is respectable and not so campy? I think it is really disrespectful how these people at the shows dress up as Stevie. I think it is her style and like you said, if people are dressing up for something like it's Halloween it is turning her image into a parody.
If this is Night of A Thousand Stevies being referred to, I must offer a different perspective. I can only speak for the Los Angeles event a few years ago, but it was hardly about parody. Never in one evening have I ever met as many Stevie fans. Drag queens, straight guys, casual fans, hardcore fanatics - all were there and all celebrated. This marked the first time in my life being on a crowded dance floor with tons of people - dancing to nothing but Stevie. And everyone singing along. All night ! The performances, while some were a little goofy, were for the most part heartfelt and absolute homage. Everyone dressed like her loved her. It was a phenomenal and memorable evening. If my schedule allowed, I would fly my butt to NYC every year for it. No matter the cost. It's that much fun.
Old 08-27-2003, 05:55 AM
Senior Ledgie

I completely agree with you, Sparky! I flew to the US last year just so I could be at the Night Of 1,000 Stevies in New York, because my dear New York friends had told me so much about it. And believe me, that event is all about paying hommage to a great entertainer and not at all like some kind of Halloween party. Although you can argue the fact that some performers look better in Stevie clothing than others, most performances are indeed heartfelt. OK, maybe some were (unintentionally) camp or goofy, but some of Stevie's performances are too, so where's the problem?

It just felt so good being at an event where almost everybody in the room loves Stevie as much as I do, where I could wave a ribboned tambourine and dance to songs like Blue Lamp and sing along wildly without having to worry about others. I've been to a number of Stevie and FM shows in the US where people get irritated when you stand up and dance during the show. Hello? ?!It's a rock concert, not an opera at the Met!

Oh and Stevie herself has said on several occasions that she thinks the "Night..." is a cool idea!

Rick
Old 08-27-2003, 11:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I've been to Night of 1,000 Stevies too. I don't think it's mean-spirited at all, but there's definitely some good-natured poking fun at Stevie going on. The twirling, the mane of blond hair, the lacy black dresses...
Like other older female divas (Cher springs to mind), Stevie seems to be viewed with equal measures of reverence and derision by a lot of gay men.
And there's no question that her image became a laughing stock in the late 80s - early 90s. I remember a MTV skit from the early 90s from Julie Brown's show (not Downtown Julie Brown but the other). Brown was dressed as Nicks, with a white lacy dress and a big blond wig, and all she did was twirl around silently. No one could shake her from her fog - that was the joke.
In that era, admitting to being a Mac or Stevie fan could get you laughed out of a room. I'm glad those times are over!