Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-04-2003, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Is FM a band for men or women?

I was just thinking, does FM appeal more to men or woman? I guess it is pretty split down the middle, right? Are most of the people her male/female?

I'm of the male sex and I love Fleetwood Mac! I actually like Stevie's songs more then Lindsay's.... Is this the norm that the men like Stevie better or do most guys like Lindsey's songs better?

I know this is a stupid post, but I'm a tad bored.

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 10-04-2003, 01:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I'm a girl (duh), and I love Fleetwood Mac. My dad loves FM, and I know some other guys who love The Mac, but alot of the guys are more drawn toward Lindsey because of his skills and whatnot. I'm drawn toward Lindsey for everything... Skills, voice, looks, talent, the man can do no wrong. I'm also a big Christine fan, I just love her voice and her piano skills, but I also love Stevie, I think she's an excellent writer... So, I guess I'm a fan of all of them. FM is very versatile, lol.
Old 10-04-2003, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I'd agree with Kate that most men seem to like Lindsey better, although as Christopher demonstrates that's certainly not always the case. As for Fleetwood Mac as a whole - split down the middle, probably due in no small part to the two leads' differing appeals. I love them both equally, but in different ways and for different qualities... two kinds of love, you might say, lol.

Old 10-04-2003, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking Appeal

Fleetwood Mac appeals to males and females and everyone in between!

Joe

Last edited by jwd; 10-04-2003 at 01:29 PM..
Old 10-04-2003, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Hey, I'm a freak accident!!!

I would agree that it is basically spilt down 50/50. Mainly because Fleetwood Mac's sound is basically uncatagorizable.

It's odd though, because I think most male FM fans like Lindsey for his sound, Stevie for her looks, and Chris for her...ummm "Little Lies." Anyway, Stevie's solo material is what brought me into Fleetwood Mac, that and I could care less about her looks (I'm 16). And if I was to rank all three of the Rumours-era members, Stevie and Chris would tie at first, and Lindsey would be placed behind them. I guess I'm just a freak!

-- Jason
Old 10-04-2003, 05:50 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Default Hard to say...

I think they're a band for everyone.

But, and I don't know if anyone else has had THIS problem...everyone I seem to know associates me liking this band with "being gay." Everyone knows me well enough now as strictly a heterosexual male, but I constantly hear "why do you listen to that fairy music?" "God Fleetwood Mac is gay!" I think because they stick to pretty mainstream pop, especially on the 80s records. I can see how Stevie possibly would be associated with gay men (ala Madonna--although I'm NOT comparing them) but the band as a whole? No.

Last edited by mylittledemon; 10-04-2003 at 05:53 PM..
Old 10-04-2003, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Is FM a band for men or women?

Quote:
Originally posted by diamondsnake

I know this is a stupid post, but I'm a tad bored.
So am I:

FM is a band for men who are in good touch with their feminine side and vice versa.

Old 10-04-2003, 06:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Hard to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by mylittledemon
I think they're a band for everyone.

But, and I don't know if anyone else has had THIS problem...everyone I seem to know associates me liking this band with "being gay." Everyone knows me well enough now as strictly a heterosexual male, but I constantly hear "why do you listen to that fairy music?" "God Fleetwood Mac is gay!" I think because they stick to pretty mainstream pop, especially on the 80s records. I can see how Stevie possibly would be associated with gay men (ala Madonna--although I'm NOT comparing them) but the band as a whole? No.
You're not the only one. I used to not understand why it was perceived that way, but I never really took offense to it. It's a good thing to realize that while Fleetwood Mac's sound is different, so are it's fans.
Old 10-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Are you referring to Fleetwood Mac as a whole, throughout history, or just this current incarnation?

I do think that the percentages of fandom between the genders has evened out since the addition of Lindsey & Stevie in 1975.

Stevie's presence alone, attracted a whole legion of female fans that Fleetwood Mac didn't have before that (despite Christine's already being in the band for YEARS); and almost immediately evened out the gender demographic.

Especially the further back you go, I think the percentage of male fans to female fans even gets higher. Mainly, due to the fact that "guitar hero worship" was more of a "guy thing" back in the late 60's/early-mid 70's...and Peter Green was VERY MUCH on equal standing with Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix & Jeff Beck, at the time. These days, the "Guitar Hero" is really passe...I think Eddie VH was the last of a breed...there hasn't been a real "Guitar Hero" since, I don't think (if someone can think of someone, let me know); although, Lindsey Buckingham these days is seemingly intentionally trying to attract the deserved "Guitar Hero" worship that has unfortunately eluded him all these years.
Old 10-04-2003, 08:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Appeal

Quote:
Originally posted by jwd
Fleetwood Mac appeals to males and females and everyone in between!

Joe
That's a great answer.
Debbie

You got a sweet heart
Never will you be replaced
Old 10-06-2003, 08:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Mac has mass appeal for men and women, there are different styles for each person to hook onto. From children to seniors, they span the whole demographic here!

"Live, Eat and Breathe Music...."

Unleashed 2009
Old 10-06-2003, 09:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Is FM a band for men or women?

Quote:
Originally posted by shackin'up
So am I:

FM is a band for men who are in good touch with their feminine side and vice versa.
That's a very diplomatic way of putting it! Well put!!