User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-05-2004, 05:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari

But here's a point of discussion: why did they need to replace Lindsey with two new official bandmembers, where they had no official new member replacing Christine?
Just to add another note of controversy:

Maybe it took 2 people to replace Lindsey but Christine is irreplacable?

Seriously though I don't blame Lindsey for leaving just as I didn't blame Christine. I thought both departures were incredibly sad. Understandable but sad.

Gail
Old 05-05-2004, 05:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh
Just to add another note of controversy:

You got me there

excellent!
Old 05-05-2004, 06:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I was going to post exactly the same thing but Gail beat me to it.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts
So we can't go "aw, poor Lindsey, he thought he was fired." (Besides, I always took that line from John "I was asking him to leave the room, not the band!" as a joke.)
Nancy, I happen to agree with you. It's just that in defending Stevie elements of this discussion (yes, you, Jason ) had crossed a fairly high threshhold of silliness. What's good for the goose... which come to think of it was the original thought for this thread anyway.

Last edited by CarneVaca; 05-05-2004 at 08:04 AM..
Old 05-05-2004, 08:20 AM

Yes, I suspect the vitriol directed at Lindsey to this day for leaving after the Tango sessions is a manifestation of what the Stevie fans know deep inside: Fleetwood Mac without Lindsey was rather uninteresting. He and Christine did stellar work for Tango, the band's second best-selling non-compilation album. To call Stevie's contributions to Tango mediocre would be too kind.

Be that as it may, I have never held Lindsey's decision to leave the band against him. Keep in mind that in 1997, I still considered myself more of a Stevie fan than Lindsey's. When I saw the press reports on Lindsey's departure, I could tell he was being treated unfairly. Regardless of whether he had agreed to tour, the fact is he worked on Tango more than any other band member, except perhaps for Christine. He busted his rump, with little support from three band members, then when he decided he'd had enough with this dysfunctional bunch, they all jumped on him. Problem is they were in no legitimate position to react the way they did. They were being hypocritical and unfair. Except for Christine of course. Stevie was rather unkind toward her former lover at the time considering she barely bothered to go into the studio.

As a matter of fact, this was a turning point for me. After Rock a Little and Stevie's contributions to Tango, I decided that she no longer interested me. Meanwhile, I had become quite enamored of Lindsey's Go Insane album, and Tango became one of my favorite albums ever, Stevie's work notwithstanding. By 1992, having seen what the band was capable of without Lindsey, I had become a full-fledged Lindsey fan, and I had great hopes he would have huge solo career without ever returning to FM. Unfortunately that did not happen, despite the brilliance of OOTC.

Just as I didn't hold Lindsey's departure against him, I didn't think Christine made a bad decision for leaving the band. Her studio participation in Time was weird to me because I had already seen the band perform without her. When she decided to leave after the short Dance tour, I suspected she was just sick of these people and simply had no desire to work with them anymore. I still do. And her subsequent decision to stay out of SYW but record her own album confirms my suspicions.

Interestingly enough, I didn't even realize for a long time Stevie had left the band after Mask. I had stopped paying attention to Fleetwood Mac for a while. Time piqued my interest for about five minutes, but what I really was hoping for was a Lindsey album. Then came the The Dance and the rest is history.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
Even when the discussion is Lindsey v. Christine, Stevie's legion of apologists feels compelled to come here and defend Stevie.

A quite telling phenomenon.
PPUUHHHLLLEEEZZZEEEEE - This is the typical LB egoists picking the fight and then blaming the Chiffonheads for screaming foul

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 05-05-2004, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
PPUUHHHLLLEEEZZZEEEEE - This is the typical LB egoists picking the fight and then blaming the Chiffonheads for screaming foul
How daaaaaaaare you!!???
Old 05-05-2004, 10:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
Nancy, I happen to agree with you. It's just that in defending Stevie elements of this discussion (yes, you, Jason ) had crossed a fairly high threshhold of silliness. What's good for the goose... which come to think of it was the original thought for this thread anyway.
Since when is stating the facts silly Yet, the LB egoists refuse to acknowledge them and call people silly for stating them

Old 05-05-2004, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari
I'm going to bring back this discussion to CHRISTINE (gee, I wasn't on the net for two days, had to read six pages of comments)

Ok, I'm not saying that Chris's departure didn't leave 'a' gap, it's not a black/white thing. I'm not saying Christine McVie didn't contribute a major part to the band, because she certainly did. And she is missed for that. I'm very excited to know she's back in music again!

But here's a point of discussion: why did they need to replace Lindsey with two new official bandmembers, where they had no official new member replacing Christine?
Well it's kind of hard to run a rock band without a guitar player. Keyboards are secondary in rock. Especially the way FMac and Christine used them.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Wrong

As I pointed out earlier, Stevie came back yet again to FM, perhaps out of love and loyalty, when she clearly did not have to come back because at that time or any other time, save 1997, because she was one of the most popular rock stars in the world and could have continued down that line - after all TOTSTM sold over a million records and had a hit single. Yet, she came back She put up with the same FM BS LB put up with (I mean they were all guitly of it). Then, she went on tour despite it all. So, I think Stevie has the upper hand here But, as Carne noted, this is about CM.
She came back? Just barely. I seem to remember most of her parts being phoned-in and then a big discussion took place where Stevie bitched about barely being on the record. TITN was a Buckingham McVie album, with a sprinkling of Nicks to taste.

Also, TOSOTM wasn't certified platinum in 1989, it was in '97. At the time, that record was considered a flop; it only went gold and the biggest single was out of the top ten.

Old 05-05-2004, 10:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I remember an article at the time that said the tour was booked and I believe Mick said the tour was booked. Booked means contractual obligations
Not neceassarily. You know how Mick is.

And what is this contract for Christine recording Time that everyone is speaking of? What contract did she have that Stevie didn't?

Old 05-05-2004, 10:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
and FM must have wanted her back pretty bad to be willing to put up with her solo tour and her hospitalization for addiction. So, FM must have thought her input was of some merit? Otherwise, why wait?. Just do it without her? But, I think we all know they waited because without Stevie's input, TITN would not have sold as well.
The success of the singles paint a different picture.

But, I suppose I'll hear that Little Lies was only a success because La Nicks' voice was prominent on it.

Old 05-05-2004, 10:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
She came back? Just barely. I seem to remember most of her parts being phoned-in and then a big discussion took place where Stevie bitched about barely being on the record. TITN was a Buckingham McVie album, with a sprinkling of Nicks to taste.
I agree. I have never said she was there 100%. What I am saying, have said, and will always say is FM was willing to work with her while she was on the road and were willing to wait for her to get through her hospitalization for her addiction. That was great of them to do that and that they did that must mean they like her and thought her work/presence was of merit. I think they also did it because at the time she was very, very popular and her presence on the record guaranteed a certain number of sales as did her presence on the tour. Yet, when I say this, people think I am slamming LB or saying TITN was all Stevie or an awful record. I am not. I am just saying Stevie made a considerable effort to fit TITN into her schedule when she did not have to do so and she was sick. I think that shows unquestionable loyalty on her part; it does not mean TITN was not LB's brilliant product that was the result of hard work or that CM did not give far more time than Stevie did. But, people cannot see that and thus, the LB v. SN debate rages on.

Old 05-05-2004, 10:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Maybe it took 2 people to replace Lindsey...

Don't get me started...it won't be pretty.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
The success of the singles paint a different picture.

But, I suppose I'll hear that Little Lies was only a success because La Nicks' voice was prominent on it.

Are you going to sit there with a straight face and tell me that if La Nicks had bailed from the project altogether that it would have sold as well as it did PPUUUHHHLLLEEEZZZZEEEEE!!!!

Here again, I think it should have as LB and CM FAR outshine Stevie on this record. But, Stevie has a star power that neither Lb nor CM have and that is sad because none of the three are any better in my book. Yet, people just want to see Stevie more. I can't explain it. I just know it. I mean she was crowned the Queen of Rock and Roll and has been in the spotlight FAR more than anyone else in the band. This does not take away from the musical genius of LB who was responsible for the majority of the reason behind Stevie's FM hits or from CM's beautiful work.

As an aside, LB's production of LL was brilliant int he way he had the "three" seemingly calling to each other in the chorus of LL. Kudos to LB.