User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Originally posted by Christopher
Quote:
For what it's worth, The Atlantic Group (Modern records distributer in the U.S.) issued quarterly upcoming new release catalogs to retailers, radio promoters, etc. (as was standard for major labels back then) and "Street Angel" was featured in the 4th quarter 1993 issue. The 1993 SA tracklist included "I Call You Missing." These scans are from my personal copy of The Alantic Group" 1993 new release catalog.
Yes, but people don't seem to accept that the track-listing contained an error of one sort or another. "I Call You Missing" (as we know it) was not included on the promo cassette that accompanied/was issued around the time of the 1993 new release catalogue, but "Love Is Like A River" was. Therefore, either the wrong song (ie "Love Is Like A River) was included as track 1, side b OR it was mistitled as “I Call You Missing”.

As previously stated, I adore the demo version of “I Call You Missing” that we have heard, but it is by no means a finished, structured song. It seems like an early draft with only a looped riff and stream of consciousness lyrics. Both “I Call You Missing” and “Love Is Like A River” were demoed during the Rock A Little era, but we don’t know which came first and whether “I Call You Missing” progressed beyond this point. Of course, I concede I could be entirely wrong about this (and I hope I am!), but there is no evidence to suggest that (the real) “I Call You Missing” was recorded for/included on the earliest version of the Street Angel album. I am just basing my opinion on the facts as we know them.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post

Going back to the original topic, though. I also dig Street Angel, though admittedly not my favorite. I must be in the minority because "Greta" is my favorite off this record and most of you guys seem to despise it. It puts me in a good mood and is a great "driving" song and, lyrically, it's so catchy.

"I bet she says just how many art lovers can one get to know?"
"She doesn't have an hour, she doesn't have five minutes. She's got to go!"

I do love 'Greta' for being so quirky. It has some really nice, breezy lyric lines. It's a type of unique song only Stevie could write.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 07-01-2014 at 07:36 PM..
Old 07-01-2014, 09:55 PM
Senior Ledgie

She's got a mooovie star view! That's my favorite part
Old 07-02-2014, 04:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love Street Angel, though I'll admit that it's the most un-Stevie of all her albums.

I love:

Blue Denim, Street Angel, Rose Garden, Listen to the Rain, Maybe Love Will Change Your Mind, Destiny, Kick It, and Unconditional Love.

And, I know that most people don't like it, but I loved her cover of Just Like a Woman.

I also love the chorus part of Docklands...the rest wasn't that great, though.

I can take or leave Greta & Love is Like a River.

The only song I really don't like is Jane...and there aren't words efficient enough to accurately describe just how bad it is. YIKES.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gssmith View Post
She's got a mooovie star view! That's my favorite part
She's got her bags packed, and she's off to the valley where the sun meets the sea.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:50 AM
Senior Ledgie

[QUOTE=PenguinHead;1134299]She's got her bags packed, and she's off to the valley where the sun meets the sea.[/

She's got her eyes wide open and she is ready to stare you down. You understand that? She wants to live by the ocean.

I don't know where we are going with this but ok. I have lived in the desert north of LA for the past 3 years. I can see all that too! I know this sounds nasty but, I had to go to the bath room to drop a Duce. I played Stevie. She is right! Music sounds better in the bath room. I wonder what Greta would say?

Last edited by gssmith; 07-12-2014 at 03:56 AM..