Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-05-2003, 05:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 2 New Singles?

Look at the songs going for adds this week at AAA radio....

Triple A Going For Adds

Artist Title (Label)
Daron Talbot Ski Bum (Talbot)
EastMountainSouth Rain Come Down (DreamWorks)
Fleetwood Mac Steal Your Heart Away (Reprise)
Fleetwood Mac Thrown Down (Reprise)
Maria McKee In Your Constellation (Viewfinder)
Old 11-05-2003, 06:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

AWESOME! Thanks Joe.

This is great news - going with the two singles - and these two songs are as classic Mac as anything on the album. Sure the rest of the songs on the CD are all so much more unique and fiesty, but these two 'single-ish' songs are surely the best chance FM has from SYW to make an impact in their most suited category (AAA etc). I mean what categories do EFO and Red Rover fall under - 70s Disco and Bizzaro?

Both of these songs have a sort of timeless quality to them and I think they'll stand FM in great stead.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default 2 New Singles?

This is fantastic. I agree - SYHA is a great choice for this format and is such a classic sound with some really great harmonies on it.

Thrown Down, for me, is a no brainer and I expected it to be released at some point - I love it!!
Old 11-05-2003, 11:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I'm *slightly* surprised that they're releasing "Steal Your Heart Away," only because the other singles so far had all been the ones that received TV promotion ("Peacekeeper" on 'Third Watch,' "Say You Will" in the ads for 'That 70s Show,' and "Thrown Down" on 'Friends')... so I would have expected the fourth single to be "Bleed To Love Her," since it was featured on an episode of 'Alias.'
Old 11-06-2003, 01:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I guess we shouldn't be surprised about SYHA, as Lindsey did include it in the PBS set.
I like the song a lot, but I don't see how Lindsey can ignore most of the Mirage album due to its supposed fluffiness, but then promote a song like this, which is catchy but not exactly deep.

- Jake
Old 11-06-2003, 02:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

and all FM fans should be sure to check out Maria McKee's new record. It's fantastic and she was sort of ushered in to the "mainstream" by Tom Petty and Jimmy Iovine in the late 80's.
Old 11-06-2003, 03:05 AM

Thumbs up

Oh thats excellent news, hopefully the two songs getting expsoure will help the fortunes of SYW back up the charts

Maybe only 'Thrown down' is getting a commercial CD release?

Do u think we might get 2 concept videos this time??????
Old 11-06-2003, 06:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

SYHA is, IMO and after SYW (remix), the most radio friendly song on SYW (CD). Thrown Down (DVD-A mix) is also radio friendly, but IMO, it needs a little remix to liven it up as IMO it tends to drag on the CD cut and less with the addition of the repeating harmonies on the DVD-A cut.

In any event, I am ecstatic they released more singles. Hopefully, these will add life to the CD.

My $0.02.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 11-06-2003, 09:29 AM
Ledgie

It looks like like "Thrown Down" is going for adds on Hot AC and AC and "Steal Your Heart Away" to Triple A. Of the two, "Thrown Down" is going to need the most luck because it is going for adds in a MUCH tougher format. This is kind of what like what they did for the first two singles from 'Shangri-la.' They should do a "triple threat" and ship a dance mix of "Everybody finds Out" to the dance stations and clubs too.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:33 AM

Incidentally, I liked Maria McKee a lot better when she was twangy. The music she's done since the mid 90s lacks vitality.

Now back to your regularly scheduled dicussion about FM singles.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:57 AM

I would also add that I agree fully with my friend Strandinthewind. How often does that happen? Hands down, Steal Your Heart Away is the most radio-friendly track in SYW. The melody has a timeless quality; it harkens back to the Rat Pack type of music, much as Soul Drifter and some stuff off Law and Order did. The lyrics are vague, yet universal in what they convey. The vocals are absolutely gorgeous, not to mention the very tasteful guitaring.

Last night at an open mic, I got to do a second three-song set because only a few performers showed up. I closed the second set with Steal Your Heart Away. It was the only cover I played, and the only one I got comments on later. (That'll teach me!)

I think the song has potential.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
I would also add that I agree fully with my friend Strandinthewind. How often does that happen?
On occasion here and even rarer on the General Discussion Board!!!

Congrats on the cover at open mic.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 11-06-2003, 10:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"
Quote:
Originally posted by darklinensuit
I like the song a lot, but I don't see how Lindsey can ignore most of the Mirage album due to its supposed fluffiness, but then promote a song like this, which is catchy but not exactly deep.
He has stated that it "borders on generic". It's one of my least favourites by him (although I do like it) and it sounds like it can offend no one. But it certainly won’t be causing any big emotional reactions. It is the biggest compromise on SYW; the other members must have wanted it on the album very bad.
Any depth one is hearing in any particular song (and yes, this includes everything Stevie has ever written) is the empty space between your ears anyway.

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
The melody has a timeless quality; it harkens back to the Rat Pack type of music, much as Soul Drifter and some stuff off Law and Order did. The lyrics are vague, yet universal in what they convey. The vocals are absolutely gorgeous, not to mention the very tasteful guitaring.
Therefore it’s the archetypal MOR song. I can hear anyone of the Rat Pack doing “Soul Drifter”, but not “SYHA”. Ah, it’s the space between my ears that’s talking again.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by face of glass
He has stated that it "borders on generic".
Lindsey said that about SYHA?

I've always liked it because it has a bit of the Kingston Trio (generic folkies who played banjo well) vibe to it, & maybe even a little Beach Boys (the dipping little melody that accompanies "suddenly we hit the ground").

I find it hard to imagine the Great Unwashed out in Radioland having any fondness for it, though. At this stage of the game, I'd find it next to impossible to decide what to try to get on the radio from the whole album. The classic rock stations still play "Gold Dust Woman" & "Dreams," but they're obviously (as is apparent by now) not going to add new Mac to their playlists. Years ago, when "The Dance" was big, I thought Fleetwood Mac could step easily into the Dave Matthews audience -- those thirtysomething yuppies who used to watch VH1 & "Ally McBeal." But that never happened, so at this point, I just don't see Fleetwood Mac ever again finding a sizable niche in any of the radio markets geared to charts.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by David
Lindsey said that about SYHA?
I believe that's what he said about Mirage, not SYHA. He said that Mirage "borders on generic."