Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Songs she was offered but rejected

Anyone ever hear this story before? I hadn't. Kind of interesting...
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/stevi...e-rain-lyrics/
Old 12-31-2011, 09:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yep, I'd heard it. Pretty interesting to think what-could-have-been and all.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yep heard it before. Although there is no proof I believe that Stevie had a hand at least in part in writing When Doves Cry. Prince took no credit for his part in Stand Back so I think Stevie did the same on Doves. For awhile during Edge Stevie would sing "I know what it sounds like when doves cry...."
Old 12-31-2011, 01:43 PM
Senior Ledgie

Yes! I heard the same story! Supposedly, Prince gave her the music to Purple Rain and wanted Stevie to write the lyrics to the song. Stevie said that she got a little frustrated with this awesome piece of music and ended up giving it back to him. She told him that he should write it himself.

She said she was glad that she did because now there is this awesome Prince song called Purple Rain.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Songs she was offered but rejected (Janey, Don't You Lose Heart)

Within the time span of her career, Stevie has inspired a few artists to write songs who were either inspired by her, or intended for her.

A good example of it is "These Dreams," written by Elton John's brilliant lyricist Bernie Taupin. He wrote the song for her, or at least offered it to her, knowing that it was a nice fit, in her style. She rejected it, and the song found its way to Heart, who enjoyed a massive hit with it.

Another song, a long forgotten memory, was remembered just today when I purchased a used copy of Bruce Springsteen's 18 Tracks CD, a compilation of outakes - songs that never found a place on albums. One track ignited my memory : "Janey Don't You Lose Heart."

Early on in Stevie's solo career I recall a note (likely in Rolling Stone), speculating about her recording this Springsteen -written song. Since no evidence of it exists as of now, I assume she never took the offer, and never had any involvement with it.

Anyone know anything about this?

Last edited by PenguinHead; 02-18-2014 at 09:03 PM..
Old 02-18-2014, 09:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I read or heard somewhere that she did record it, but Bruce didn't like that she changed the gender roles around. So he asked her to scrap it.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 02-18-2014, 10:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I personally asked her about this a few years ago. She said she was never offered a song by Bruce. She said she would have "loved" it if he sent her something. I know her memory is often fuzzy from the past but I doubt she forgot being sent a song by Bruce Springsteen, especially during his mega-selling Born in the USA period.

Last edited by FM77; 02-21-2014 at 11:54 AM..
Old 02-19-2014, 02:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
I read or heard somewhere that she did record it, but Bruce didn't like that she changed the gender roles around. So he asked her to scrap it.
That would be a real lame excuse. I think that was someone's supposition that has grown into a "mythical" fact. Usually artists whose songs get covered don't have artistic control over the creative articulation of the song. If Bruce worked directly worked with Stevie in the development of the song, that's another story. But I don't think that was ever the case.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 02-19-2014 at 03:02 AM..
Old 02-19-2014, 09:36 AM
Ledgie

I remember around the time of Trouble In Shangri-La, that Macy Gray wrote a song for her called "Smitten" and Courtney Love wrote a song for her called "When It All Falls Apart," but I don't know if she ever recorded either one of them. I think Rod Steward eventually recorded "Smitten."

Wasn't the song "Love Will Find a Way" by Yes originally supposed to be written for Stevie as well?
Old 02-19-2014, 01:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know the offical story, but I have heard a few demos of Tied Up In Promises (J.Farrar/L.Ritenour). from a cassette tape in 1989. Olivia Newton John ended up recording this song, but I don't know if Stevie's were intended to be a cover, or if it was offered to her before Olivia.

http://dancpharmd.wordpress.com/2012...p-in-promises/
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 02-19-2014, 01:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
I don't know the offical story, but I have heard a few demos of Tied Up In Promises (J.Farrar/L.Ritenour). from a cassette tape in 1989. Olivia Newton John ended up recording this song, but I don't know if Stevie's were intended to be a cover, or if it was offered to her before Olivia.

http://dancpharmd.wordpress.com/2012...p-in-promises/
I really love this track and always wished there was a clean, good quality of Tied Up (In Promises) by Stevie. I do know Tied Up released in 1982 on ONJ Greatest Hits vol 2...but according to everything I have read, Stevie's version was recorded during Rock-A-Little sessions...so 1984-1986?

However, both John Farrar and L. Ritenour wrote many songs exclusively for ONJ, with Farrar producing most of her albums. So, I really do not think Tied Up (In Promises) was written for Stevie Nicks in mind. It's well known that Stevie has trouble with hit songs, which is why I think they brought in Tied Up (In Promises) to Stevie.

Last edited by Richard B; 02-19-2014 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: more thoughts
Old 02-19-2014, 07:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSATX View Post
I remember around the time of Trouble In Shangri-La, that Macy Gray wrote a song for her called "Smitten" and Courtney Love wrote a song for her called "When It All Falls Apart," but I don't know if she ever recorded either one of them. I think Rod Steward eventually recorded "Smitten."

Wasn't the song "Love Will Find a Way" by Yes originally supposed to be written for Stevie as well?
Yes offered her the instrumental track that became "Love Will Find a Way" Courtney also reportedly offered Stevie "Malibu" for TISL which ended up the second single from Hole's Celebrity Skin..that one she should have taken.She could have dunped That Made me Stronger for it.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Within the time span of her career, Stevie has inspired a few artists to write songs who were either inspired by her, or intended for her.

A good example of it is "These Dreams," written by Elton John's brilliant lyricist Bernie Taupin. He wrote the song for her, or at least offered it to her, knowing that it was a nice fit, in her style. She rejected it, and the song found its way to Heart, who enjoyed a massive hit with it.
It's probably a good practice for her to turn down these songs. Most fans absolutely hate it when she records other people's songs anyway. The fact that she includes covers in her set lists is a general complaint.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

She was offered "Call Me" but turned it down. Worked well for Blondie.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
You are correct.
I read the same article. It was in Rollingstone sometime in 1984 or 1985.