The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-24-2024, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Al, just with regard to the White Album Rhiannon playing before FM started playing The Chain…Karen or whoever could have easily put the cricket noises on. I was at this event and it was just weird that Rhiannon was playing while the curtain was closed. It would have been like Monday Morning playing before a Mac concert starts.

And then Harry Styles came out to introduce them, have the curtain be pulled open, and sing The Chain with them, which was a favor to Stevie I gather so she could sing to her best friend and perhaps a favor to Azoff’s son who manages Harry. Harry had no business being up there singing with them but luckily he really just looked like a background singer and he didn’t steal any spotlights. He actually interacted most with Lindsey and Mick.

Back to the tour negotiations, Lindsey probably said something to Stevie that really made her tick. The negotiations happened in late 2017. I think the late great Brett said rehearsal for MusiCares was tense because they hadn’t seen each other since the tour meetings. I’m thinking what gets Stevie angriest with Lindsey is any hint that her door opening to be able to become “Stevie Nicks” was Mick being impressed by Lindsey on Frozen Love.
Old 01-25-2024, 08:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
They called her out every night of the 2014 tour during her Gypsy story time.
I remember her Gypsy speech at the NJ show in oct. 2014. I didn't feel it was too long at that moment, and even found it kind of interesting. But at the end of the show she stood alone for several minutes doing a looong goodbye speech while some people started to go out, including me cause I didn't understood what she was saying (the sound at Prudential Center was not the best), plus I was more worried about getting out of the parking area soon, since traffice is always a nightmare at the end of concerts.
Old 01-25-2024, 09:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I remember her Gypsy speech at the NJ show in oct. 2014. I didn't feel it was too long at that moment, and even found it kind of interesting. But at the end of the show she stood alone for several minutes doing a looong goodbye speech while some people started to go out, including me cause I didn't understood what she was saying (the sound at Prudential Center was not the best), plus I was more worried about getting out of the parking area soon, since traffice is always a nightmare at the end of concerts.
I think at the end of the Columbus, OH show she gave her dreamcatcher speech.
Old 01-25-2024, 10:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
I’m thinking what gets Stevie angriest with Lindsey is any hint that her door opening to be able to become “Stevie Nicks” was Mick being impressed by Lindsey on Frozen Love.
That storyline just needs to die. It’s completely overblown.

Do people not realize Buckingham Nicks and Fleetwood Mac would have been in the same orbit, recording in the same studio with the same producer, even if Bob Welch had stayed? How did they get “Blue Letter”?

And, we’re talking early 70s Fleetwood Mac, here. Once Mick found out Buckingham Nicks weren’t on a label, he would have invited them to join Fleetwood Mac, anyway, since they were basically doing the same thing.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-25-2024, 12:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
That storyline just needs to die. It’s completely overblown.

Do people not realize Buckingham Nicks and Fleetwood Mac would have been in the same orbit, recording in the same studio with the same producer, even if Bob Welch had stayed? How did they get “Blue Letter”?

And, we’re talking early 70s Fleetwood Mac, here. Once Mick found out Buckingham Nicks weren’t on a label, he would have invited them to join Fleetwood Mac, anyway, since they were basically doing the same thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gyNfAI3axM
Stevie repeats “the storyline” at the 5 minute mark. Most recently, she said in October at The Garden that Lindsey wouldn’t have joined the band without her joining too. Mick told Alex Baldwin that Stevie is always mad at him whenever she says to him “you only wanted Lindsey.”
Old 01-25-2024, 01:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know if very many people here take anything Stevie says with even the slightest grain of salt....

Sadly, I do think that the bitter 2024 version of Stevie would love to erase any ties Lindsey has/had with her success. If she could claim she did it all on her own, she would. ACTUALLY...she did pretty much try to claim she did it all on her own in recent years when talking about her solo career, dismissing the small army of people she had helping her.

This is sort of off topic, but I've always wondered if she doesn't hear the difference between Lindsey playing something like Gypsy vs Mike or Waddy playing it. Are they equally as good to her ears!? Does she simply not care about the differences and one is just "good enough" ? She's always been highly protective of her demos and her original arrangements of a song, yet when it comes to guitar playing she swaps a 5 year aged cheddar for a kraft single and doesn't bat an eye. That never made sense to me. But I’ve always felt that out of everyone it was Rick and Billy that handled Lindsey’s work the best. Waddy is a great guitarist in his own style, but terrible with Fleetwood Mac material.

Last edited by BigAl84; 01-25-2024 at 01:48 PM..
Old 01-25-2024, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The difference is in her solo career she is the BOSS. She will never be the boss of Lindsey. Equals possibly, but never the boss.

Quote:
I don't know if very many people here take anything Stevie says with even the slightest grain of salt....

Sadly, I do think that the bitter 2024 version of Stevie would love to erase any ties Lindsey has/had with her success. If she could claim she did it all on her own, she would. ACTUALLY...she did pretty much try to claim she did it all on her own in recent years when talking about her solo career, dismissing the small army of people she had helping her.

This is sort of off topic, but I've always wondered if she doesn't hear the difference between Lindsey playing something like Gypsy vs Mike or Waddy playing it. Are they equally as good to her ears!? Does she simply not care about the differences and one is just "good enough" ? She's always been highly protective of her demos and her original arrangements of a song, yet when it comes to guitar playing she swaps a 5 year aged cheddar for a kraft single and doesn't bat an eye. That never made sense to me. But I’ve always felt that out of everyone it was Rick and Billy that handled Lindsey’s work the best. Waddy is a great guitarist in his own style, but terrible with Fleetwood Mac material.
Old 01-25-2024, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gyNfAI3axM
Stevie repeats “the storyline” at the 5 minute mark. Most recently, she said in October at The Garden that Lindsey wouldn’t have joined the band without her joining too. Mick told Alex Baldwin that Stevie is always mad at him whenever she says to him “you only wanted Lindsey.”
They never offered the job to just Lindsey! As pointed out countless times, anything they’ve said since 1997 has been a embellished. And, AGAIN, here’s what the two guys who actually had the phone call said about it:

Quote:
“I told him I wanted Lindsey Buckingham to be the new guitarist in Fleetwood Mac, and what did he think? Olsen replied that Lindsey was part of a team, the other half of which was his girlfriend, Stevie Nicks. They had a band called Buckingham Nicks and were very much a pair. Keith said he didn't think Lindsey would be interested in joining Fleetwood Mac without Stevie. Without hesitating, I told him that I wanted them both. Then I called Mickey Shapiro and said, ”I met these guys and am asking them to be in the band." -Mick Fleetwood, 1990
Quote:
“I had signed on to co-produce with Fleetwood Mac and engineer their album after Bare Trees [sic]. How I made the deal to do it was I played [Mick Fleetwood] three tracks of the finished Buckingham-Nicks record, one off an Emitt Rhodes record, and one thing from Aretha Franklin. He said, “Wow, this is really great.” So we made a deal to do it. Then I got a call on New Year’s Eve, and Mick says, “I’ve had some bad news. Bob Welch just decided to leave the band. So, that fellow in that band you played me—would you see if that guy would like to join my band?” And I said, “Well, they’re going to come as a set. Because they’re very much into their own thing, and the only chance of getting them to drop that would be to bring them both on.” And he says, ”Well, maybe that will work. Can you see if you can convince them to join my band?”

So I drop what I was going to do on that New Year’s Eve, take my date, and we drive over to Stevie and Lindsey’s house. I said, “Hey, Happy New Year” and all of this—I brought over the obligatory bottle of bad champagne—and I said, “Can we talk? Mick Fleetwood would like you to join Fleetwood Mac.” Immediately, Lindsey said, “Oh, no, no—I couldn’t possibly play anything as good as Peter Green did. How am I supposed to get up there and play ‘The Green Manalishi’?” Finally I get them, by the end of the night, to try it on a trial basis for eight weeks.” -Keith Olsen, 2012 (https://www.premierguitar.com/diy/st...ds-keith-olsen)
So, two accounts from the two men who actually had the conversation told over twenty years apart and they’re identical. Furthermore, you’ll notice that the next phone call was to Mickey Shapiro to draw up contractual paperwork, not the McVies, so the whole idiotic “Christine had to like Stevie” storyline was crap, too.

We, specifically you and me, have had this discussion several times already, so you know the FACTS, and most of us old timers have mentioned numerous times that they started romanticizing and embellishing their story starting with The Dance, so I don’t get why you keep referencing something you know isn’t accurate by someone known to not be a reliable source of information?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-25-2024, 03:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes Mick wrote that in his first book. He wanted Lindsey but when he knew they were a package deal, he offered the job to both.

Few pages later he also wrote:
Only later did it become apparent that Lindsey was with Stevie. They were together. Their ambitions and hopes were as a unit. They had been working for years, I was told; they were hitting brick walls but were determined to keep writing together. Later Stevie would give me a hard time. "Aaabhh, if I hadn't been with Lindsey, you wouldn't have wanted me." And like that. All I can say is that I remembered this guitar player but couldn't remember his name.
Old 01-25-2024, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Few pages later he also wrote:
Only later did it become apparent that Lindsey was with Stevie. They were together. Their ambitions and hopes were as a unit. They had been working for years, I was told; they were hitting brick walls but were determined to keep writing together. Later Stevie would give me a hard time. "Aaabhh, if I hadn't been with Lindsey, you wouldn't have wanted me." And like that. All I can say is that I remembered this guitar player but couldn't remember his name.
In other words, he didn’t realize they were a couple when he inquired about a guitarist. Nobody’s disputing Mick was only inquiring about a guitarist when he called Keith Olsen. It’s the whole “I told them I wouldn’t join without her” storyline I have an issue with.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-25-2024, 05:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
They never offered the job to just Lindsey! As pointed out countless times, anything they’ve said since 1997 has been a embellished. And, AGAIN, here’s what the two guys who actually had the phone call said about it:

So, two accounts from the two men who actually had the conversation told over twenty years apart and they’re identical. Furthermore, you’ll notice that the next phone call was to Mickey Shapiro to draw up contractual paperwork, not the McVies, so the whole idiotic “Christine had to like Stevie” storyline was crap, too.

We, specifically you and me, have had this discussion several times already, so you know the FACTS, and most of us old timers have mentioned numerous times that they started romanticizing and embellishing their story starting with The Dance, so I don’t get why you keep referencing something you know isn’t accurate by someone known to not be a reliable source of information?
Ok, roger that.

I shared what Stevie said. I don't believe her on the Lindsey said he wouldn't join without me since she is what you said "not a reliable source of information." But I do believe her when she said that Lindsey absolutely got her towards Fleetwood Mac, and I don't mean "you've got to take my girlfriend too." I meant Mick heard Lindsey's work on Frozen Love which led to Mick asking Keith Olsen about Lindsey (not Stevie), then Keith brought up Stevie and then the offer for them both to join happened.

Or is there a fact where Mick heard Frozen Love and said I want the lady who sang on that album and the guitar player on the album first and it wasn't that he said he wanted the guitar player first?

Also, I think you believe Lindsey was fired for his comment about The Classic Festivals and that he wanted to start a FM tour later and play solo dates in between FM concerts. Stevie said after 2018 that she wasn't willing to work with him anymore. What do you think the worst thing Lindsey has said to Stevie in recent years was? "You have no singing voice"?
Old 01-25-2024, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But I do believe her when she said that Lindsey absolutely got her towards Fleetwood Mac,
Nobody’s ever disputed that Mick called Kieth to have him ask Lindsey to join the band. Bob quit and the band had just gotten an advance. However, Mick didn’t know anything about Lindsey beyond he was a good guitarist. Once the equation was explained, Mick was on board.

Quote:
Or is there a fact where Mick heard Frozen Love and said I want the lady who sang on that album and the guitar player on the album first and it wasn't that he said he wanted the guitar player first?
Not really a fair comment, since Mick’s only context for what he was listening to was that it had been recorded in the studio he was scouting. He briefly met Lindsey, so being able to put a face with the guitarist also helped, but that’s all Mick knew.

Fleetwood Mac was founded by Peter Green, it was Mick’s idea to add Danny Kirwan, the band had had a revolving door of guitarists, and his brother-in-law was Eric Clapton. Mick’s natural inclination would have been to focus on the guitar player, especially since it was clear Bob Welch was burning out.

Quote:
What do you think the worst thing Lindsey has said to Stevie in recent years was?
Probably “I have no interest in doing a Buckingham Nicks reunion.” And, I think he stopped schmoozing her once Christine came back, assuming (as most of us did) that Stevie would be excited about making a Fleetwood Mac album with the full lineup. I think there was mutual bitterness surrounding LBCM. I also think they had very different visions for the 2018 tour.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-25-2024, 10:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh…I never thought of that. Let’s say history was different and rehearsals for the 2018 tour start with Lindsey….Stevie walks in wanting to do Free Falling. I’m sure that would have gone over like a lead balloon with Lindsey.

Stevie’s take on the Buckingham Nicks reunion was sorta odd. She was all about reforming the original Buckingham Nicks band and recording a bunch of lost tracks to tack onto the album as bonus tracks, but he couldn’t get her to participate in 3 songs for a Fleetwood Mac album and tour. Really weird rationale.

Last edited by BigAl84; 01-25-2024 at 10:27 PM..
Old 01-25-2024, 11:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh…I never thought of that. Let’s say history was different and rehearsals for the 2018 tour start with Lindsey….Stevie walks in wanting to do Free Falling. I’m sure that would have gone over like a lead balloon with Lindsey.
Yeah. He strikes me as more of a “Walls” type.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-26-2024, 12:18 AM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
I realize that I probably sound like Chevy Chase in that scene from Christmas Vacation....thanks for humoring my rants. I've got my Tylenol.
HalleLUJAH! Holy $hiiit!