User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:33 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
Well, I am unsure if a market based correction is necessary in that the complete misery it would cause (thousands of people likely would starve and die - colleges would empty -- etc. ) likely would outweigh the outcome, which IMO would take a decade or more. I also think the Bush administration will bail the banks out because it is way cheaper than living up to the FDIC guarantees.
N0 one would starve and die, if any, then very few. The people who were foreclosed on wouldn't suddenly become unemployed because they were foreclosed on. They would still work, but end up in rentals and have to curb their spending in iPods, video games and the like. The people wouldn't be in much worse financial shape than they are in already. They'd probably be slightly better off as far as cash on hand, since they'd be renting, but they'd be unable to obtain credit for about 7 years if they filed bankruptcy right away. Plus, as prices fell, you'd have new buyers in lower income brackets buying the houses that they previously couldn't afford, so the impact on the industry would be crippling, but not the far reaching destruction you are mentioning. As far as colleges go, that might not be a bad thing. College is way too expensive. If they emptied, they'd have to bring down their prices and cut useless crap out, like ice skating. A friend of mine actually majored in ice skating. Pathetic!
Old 07-29-2008, 11:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Did you take any Katrina aid? Just curious. If you did, then you really are no different than the people taking the mortgage aid in that you could have chosen not to live in a flood plane/hurricane zone and/or you could have bought more insurance.
strandinthewind, you've got a good memory. I think we had posted about FEMA?

Aid after a hurricane, yes we did accept. It came in the form of water, ice and $$$ to help with damage to our farm. Did it help, yes it did. Is everything back to normal, no. I can look outside even after all this time and still see damage. Our concrete and steel silos broken beyond repair and way too expensive to rebuild. I always notice them during the sunset. A daily reminder of the storms.

Are you really compairing natural disasters to the mortgage crisis?
Old 07-30-2008, 08:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmccarrell View Post
N0 one would starve and die, if any, then very few. The people who were foreclosed on wouldn't suddenly become unemployed because they were foreclosed on. They would still work, but end up in rentals and have to curb their spending in iPods, video games and the like. The people wouldn't be in much worse financial shape than they are in already. They'd probably be slightly better off as far as cash on hand, since they'd be renting, but they'd be unable to obtain credit for about 7 years if they filed bankruptcy right away. Plus, as prices fell, you'd have new buyers in lower income brackets buying the houses that they previously couldn't afford, so the impact on the industry would be crippling, but not the far reaching destruction you are mentioning. As far as colleges go, that might not be a bad thing. College is way too expensive. If they emptied, they'd have to bring down their prices and cut useless crap out, like ice skating. A friend of mine actually majored in ice skating. Pathetic!
It sort of amazes me that you have these views, which are unsupported. But, you are 26 and I think that gets you some slack. If no one has any money to buy things - then how are the manufacturers and reatilers going to stay in business? True Ch. 7 is an alternative if you have no job, but you will lose you house if you cannot continue to pay for it. Then, who is going to rent an unemployed bankrupt person an apartment? I tell you what, just make a few calls to your local rental companies and tell them you have just emerged from a Ch. 7, you are unemployed, and you have a foreclosure on your record -- see what they will cahrge to rent to you if they will at all. Moreover, with millions unemployed, where do you expect people to find a job? Finally, I suggest that if you cannot find a job or a place to live, your chances of strarving and dying escalate But, you are for the survival of the fit anyway, so it really should not bother you, though you were there once yourself

As for majors in college, if your friend was good enough, he'd make a great living, even if he just toured with the shows as an extra But, I think all colleges should run their curriculums past you as the decider of what is appropriate

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 07-30-2008, 09:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
strandinthewind, you've got a good memory. I think we had posted about FEMA?

Aid after a hurricane, yes we did accept. It came in the form of water, ice and $$$ to help with damage to our farm. Did it help, yes it did. Is everything back to normal, no. I can look outside even after all this time and still see damage. Our concrete and steel silos broken beyond repair and way too expensive to rebuild. I always notice them during the sunset. A daily reminder of the storms.

Are you really compairing natural disasters to the mortgage crisis?
No, I am comparing your prior statement and the prior statements of the one you high fived with the "BINGO" with your willingness to accept Federal aid when it suited you. I took your statement then and your provious statments to mean that you supported individual responsibility as opposed to govt. handouts. So, the question from that vantage point becomes could you not have bought more insurance? Could you not have saved more money instead of spending on something silly (surely you did that once) I do not hold you to such a ridiculous standard, but you and ajmccarrell set that standard earlier. I mean you live in a hurricane zone -- surely you knew one was eventually going to come and you had at least four days warning with Katrina. I lived in S.W. Louisiana and New Orleans for about 25 years and have been through many a hurricane -- so, I know more than most about this topic.

Interestingly, ajmccarrell likely thinks you spent your Fed. benefits on hookers, hooch, and designer duds as he lumped all people who got aid into one general category earlier. He implied it was the blacks only, but and in fairness, he was not specific. I, however, do not think that. I think the vast majority of the people who took the cards spent it wisely -- you seemingly fit into this category and I know many more. But, this notion apparently is foreign to him.

As an aside, if I had lost my house, money, livelihood, etc. and was living on a cot in the Astrodome, I'd need a drink or two myself and fukc anyone who judged me for that If you are a drinking man, did you not at least once get ****tefaced after the storm? I sure as hell did.

In the end and back to the topic at hand -- I agree with you that the mortgage companies and were greedy and they should suffer. But, if we allow all the banks to fail because people start making runs on banks (it already happened in Calif. ) -- how would that benefit us as a nation. True, the banks would be punished and there is some comfort in that ability to wag the finger and say "I told you so." But, is that comfort worth the effect of bank failures on the economy? To me that is cutting off our nose to spite our face To me, the more pragmatic and wildly cheaper business decision is to bail out the banks and pass laws trying to ensure this will never happen again. W could have passed these laws in his first term, but he did not. I submit he did not because he along with everyone else knew that the collapse of Enron, MCI, the computer industries ( .com stock anyone) at the end of the Clinton era, etc. left the economy crippled (note - I blame Clinton for this because the Dept. of Justice essentially turned a blind eye to it) . Though the US still had a huge surplus mostly thanks to Clinton and his "raised taxes," the only continuing game in town so to speak was the mortgage industry, which included the construction industry et al. The Bush Administration could not stifle that and it is costing us now.

Interstingly, if we allowed the banks to fail and the markets to correct themselves, what do you think would happen? Would we enter into another Great Depression?

Note - I am not blaming or judging you for taking the Katrina related aid. I think you were smart for taking it. Moreover, I wish you luck with the farm. I am just noting that many people including myself are quick to judge others because of perceived stereotypes when not all people fit in those stereotypes.

As for your silos -- I know its a long shot, but is there any govt. aid for that? If not, is there anyway the local community can help you rebuild them. I say this because I know in many communities in NOLA and the area, neighborhood people got together and helped clear and redo each others' hosues. A silo seemingly is a far larger task though. Good luck with that!

Last edited by strandinthewind; 07-30-2008 at 09:35 AM..
Old 07-30-2008, 09:32 AM
Registered

Angry

You said, "Interestingly, ajmccarrell likely thinks you spent your Fed. benefits on hookers, hooch, and designer duds as he lumped all people who got aid into one general category earlier. He implied it was the blacks only, but and in fairness, he was not specific. I, however, do not think that. " What the hell is your problem? You are grossly mischaracterizing what I said you jerk. Knock it off! I never said it was blacks only either. You sir, are a liar!
Old 07-30-2008, 09:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You said, "Interestingly, ajmccarrell likely thinks you spent your Fed. benefits on hookers, hooch, and designer duds as he lumped all people who got aid into one general category earlier. He implied it was the blacks only, but and in fairness, he was not specific. I, however, do not think that. " What the hell is your problem? You are grossly mischaracterizing what I said you jerk. Knock it off! I never said it was blacks only either. You sir, are a liar!
I said you implied it. Please read my statements that you just quoted. If you did not implhy it, your statements read that way. Surely you realized that.

Note - if I am in error, I apologize. But, I do not think I am as the vast majority of the evacuee's were black and they are whom you specifically referenced. You laid the card, don't be scared to play it

Old 07-30-2008, 09:36 AM
Registered

Quote:
I said you implied it. Please read my statements that you just quoted. If you did not implhy it, your statements read that way. Surely you realized that.

Note - if I am in error, I apologize. But, I do not think I am as the vast majority of the evacuee's were black and they are whom you specifically referenced. You laid the card, don't be scared to play it
Twist and spin, mischaracterize and assume. You have some pretty severe problems. I don't mind debating issues. i like to argue, but i will not have a conversation with someone who outright lies and stretches the truth.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^

Here's what you said:

Quote:
. . . As far as the people being human debris, an audit of the funds given to survivors revealed money used for strippers, drugs, prostitutes, a sex change operation, a divorce, season football tickets, vacations, and God only knows what else. Does that sound like a bunch of boy-scouts? No, I didn't think so.

This is, of course, more racism. A flood hit Minnesota and caused severe damage as well. There was no news coverage of it, probably because the population was white and largely took care of the problems themselves. White people in distress don't need coverage. I got very sick of watching the news devote time to the people who were sitting tearfully in their easychairs on the sidewalk staring at debris day after day, not doing anything themselves to clean it up, while waiting for FEMA to come and do it for them. The sycophantic media sucking up to make people victims disgusts me. This is the same as the fish hatcheries. People will not do for themselves when they think someone else will do it.

Hey, all of this could have been handled better. However, spread the blame around. People forget that there is a such thing as local government that IS the first responder. FEMA always takes two days to arrive, regardless of what your race is. Sorry Kanye.
http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showth...=36253&page=18

Clearly, you were talking about black people and you referred to them as "human debris." Would you like to backtrack from that now?

Old 07-30-2008, 09:50 AM
Registered

Quote:
^^^

Here's what you said:

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showth...=36253&page=18

Clearly, you were talking about black people and you referred to them as "human debris." Would you like to backtrack from that now?
I wasn't specifically referring to black people. I was referring to people left behind waiting for their welfare checks that were committing crimes. I never defined people by race. It is just another typical pathetic response from a stereotypical liberal to label anyone who disagrees as a racist to shut down debate because they can't win. PATHETIC! You also admitted abuses of the funds, does that mean that you said black people squandered the money?! I wouldn't stoop low enough to accuse you of something like that. This gutter level of debate disgusts me. Pathetic...
Old 07-30-2008, 10:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I wasn't specifically referring to black people. I was referring to people left behind waiting for their welfare checks that were committing crimes. I never defined people by race. It is just another typical pathetic response from a stereotypical liberal to label anyone who disagrees as a racist to shut down debate because they can't win. PATHETIC! You also admitted abuses of the funds, does that mean that you said black people squandered the money?! I wouldn't stoop low enough to accuse you of something like that. This gutter level of debate disgusts me. Pathetic...
I readily admit some black people squandered that money - there is evidence to prove that. I do not think all did though and certainly white people and people of other races did as well. The difference is I, unlike you and your "human debris" statement, did not lump all evacuees together, compare the New Orleans situation with the, according to you, mostly white recent floods, to wit (emphasis supplied) :

Quote:
This is, of course, more racism. A flood hit Minnesota and caused severe damage as well. There was no news coverage of it, probably because the population was white and largely took care of the problems themselves. White people in distress don't need coverage.
That is white people is distress as opposed to green people? No, it is white people in distress as opposed to the 95% black population in NOLA in distress after Katrina. If not, then what were you making the racism comparison to?

In any event, you clearly were talking about black people with the human debris comment. That you recant now is unsurprising though as you have yet to win any argument in this or the other two threads. And, when called on your incorrect assertions, you attack the person calling you out.

Last edited by strandinthewind; 07-30-2008 at 10:04 AM..
Old 07-30-2008, 10:19 AM
Registered

I was pointing out bias in the media, not making a broad assumption about black people. Are you really that stupid?! Maybe so! There is no winning an argument with you because you don't want to be confused with facts. You just grasp at any excuse to hold on to your hatred of conservatives to the point of lying.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^

So, the "human debris" comment was meant as an editorial on the bias in the media?

Old 07-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Registered

The two comments might have been part of the same overall subject of Katrina, but not about race specifically. My comment on human desbris was not related to my comments on the media. Is your reading comprehension really that bad?! I said that most of the people left behind during Katrina were human debris. I also said that the media covered Katrina more than similar disasters because the inhabitants of the damaged areas were largely black. A + B does not = D. Have you ever a formal logic course? I can tell it's been a while if you had.

There's an old joke that God is going to destroy the world, so the papers report, "God destroys world: women and minorities hardest hit." The joke is that the media fixates on minorities. I was making the same point here. There were floods in the midwest this summer far beyond the scope of those that hit Katrina and these also had the potential to disrupt our food supply. The media was still covering Katrina a year later and Oprah was still doing specials on it. How about the floods? The media stopped covering it about a week later and Oprah never addressed it. My point is that the media is racist.

Why bother, you're just going to lie about it anyway. You are a testament to our rotten school system if you legitimately think that my media comments were related to my human debris comments. I can't imagine someone that lacking in basic reading skills. But then again, you do vote democratic!
Old 07-30-2008, 10:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
. . . My point is that the media is racist . . . .
The situation in Minnesota was not nearly as dramatic as the tens of thousands of, to use your words, "human debris" left in NOLA after Katrina due to the Feds takijng too long to send in the needed help to get them out. That is why NOLA got so much television coverage as oppsed to Minnesota, which though perhaps in a larger area geographically, was a comparatively far less severe disaster. I may be mistaken, but I do not think tens of thousands had to be evacuated from Minnesota. The horrible events were not really comparable in severity or cost (monetary and human lives and suffering) .

Old 07-30-2008, 10:55 AM
strandinthewind
This message has been deleted by strandinthewind. Reason: what's the use?
Old 07-30-2008, 11:04 AM
Registered

Quote:
The situation in Minnesota was not nearly as dramatic as the tens of thousands of, to use your words, "human debris" left in NOLA after Katrina due to the Feds takijng too long to send in the needed help to get them out. That is why NOLA got so much television coverage as oppsed to Minnesota, which though perhaps in a larger area geographically, was a comparatively far less severe disaster. I may be mistaken, but I do not think tens of thousands had to be evacuated from Minnesota. The horrible events were not really comparable in severity or cost (monetary and human lives and suffering) .
Minnesota too, but i was just now referring to the Midwest floods up and down the Mississippi. The fact that I said Midwest and you didn't immediately know what I meant is a pretty good indicator that I'm right. I just heard a report on the radio that the US is asking the UN to intervene and send food to those along the Mississippi. It must be bad, but we're not hearing about it daily, weekly. Maybe monthly at this point.