User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmccarrell View Post
. . . Also, everyone kept saying how great Neil Young's playing was and I asked for a few songs that REALLY show his guitar skills and no one could give me one?!
I never really said that -- but, the wiki article I posted the link to goes on about his talent

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 07-24-2008, 01:10 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
I never really said that -- but, the wiki article I posted the link to goes on about his talent
He is a very talented songwriter. There were some songs that he did that I wasn't aware were him, like "Sugar Mountain". The wiki article said that his electric guitar playing was "idiosynchratic", which I thought was putting it nicely. Did you see the video I posted yesterday with the 15 minutes of one note solos? I wasn't sure if that was a 'shred' gag or not.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Okay, I was referring to "Rockin' in the Free World" and the Farm Aid stuff as cheesy, not the man's ENTIRE body of work. "The Needle and the Damage Done" is what I would call average guitar playing, from my point of view. It is a powerful song and I wish people would write more like that now. From someone else's, it might be incredible guitar playing.

The thing about Pearl Jam and Nirvana is fine, except look at where Pearl Jam is now. They're already another Live or some other forgotten band and they aren't on "best guitarist" lists anywhere. They are exactly where Nirvana would be now, except that Kurt Cobain died, so now he's the "greatest". Nirvana basically defined a two year period between 1991 and 1992, music drifted a long way from that towards the end of the decade. After grunge, we got post-grunge, like Matchbox Twenty, Fastball and the Goo Goo Dolls, and also it was the beginning of this decade's R & B with TLC and Destiny's Child. We also had a lot of anti-commercial stuff like the New Radicals, Offspring, Blink-182, Stroke-9, Harvey Danger, Lit, and a lot of power pop like Natalie Imruglia, Vonda Shepard, Faith Hill, Celine Dion, etc. Jam bands also became popular like Dave Matthews, the Spin Doctors, and Blues Traveler. It was also the decade of the angry white female, with Alanis Morissette, Fiona Apple, Tori Amos and heck even the Spice Girls. We also saw the boy band era with NKTB, the BSB, N'Sync, Youngstown and even the Meaty Cheesy Boys. LOL! Not to mention, it was also the era of the comeback with the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac and anyone remember "Smooth" with Santana and Rob Thomas? We also had the angry poets like Smashing Pumpkins. There were also just plain great rock bands like Stone Temple Pilots, RHCP, Alice in Chains and many others. You can't really say that Nirvana defined the 90's because the sheer diversity of 90's music rivals only the 1960's. The majority of the 90's sound owes more to REM than it does Nirvana. Whereas in the 80's and today, your choices are pretty homogenous with what gets major label sponsorship.

Also, everyone kept saying how great Neil Young's playing was and I asked for a few songs that REALLY show his guitar skills and no one could give me one?!

Thanks for the clarification. Quite a difference in saying "his songs are cheesy" vs. 'that one song is so cheesy." Also, I never said he was an "incredible" guitarist, just noting that the old performance I saw was far from bad.

And no, YOU look at where Pearl Jam is now. They sell out venues all over the world without radio airplay, without major records deals or concert promotion. They record their live shows to offer to their fans. THEY walked away from the mainstream music biz, they weren't "forgotten." I'm not into them anymore, but I'm well aware of how successful they are to this day, which is even more impressive considering the above.

Not that these types of lists mean much to me, but for what it's worth:
Quote:
In a review of Pearl Jam's 2006 eponymous album, Rolling Stone editor David Fricke admitted that he "screwed up" in excluding both McCready and Pearl Jam rhythm guitarist Stone Gossard from the publication's 2003 feature "The 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time".[17] In 2007, McCready's guitar solos from "Alive" and "Yellow Ledbetter" were featured on Guitar World's "100 Greatest Guitar Solos" list.[18] In February 2007, McCready and Gossard were included together by Rolling Stone in its list of "The Top 20 New Guitar Gods" under the title of "four-armed monster."[19] He (McCready) was placed at #6 on a list of "The Twenty-Five Most Underrated Guitarists" by Rolling Stone.[20]
Notice those dates were in the last few years, NOT the early 90's.

I noticed you only named popular acts at the time. Your list read like a "The Very Best of the 90's!" CD compilation.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
and I hate his songs because they're so darn cheesy!
Quote:
Okay, I was referring to "Rockin' in the Free World" and the Farm Aid stuff as cheesy, not the man's ENTIRE body of work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
Thanks for the clarification. Quite a difference in saying "his songs are cheesy" vs. 'that one song is so cheesy."

Come on, no backtracking, you did say songs.

Quote:
The thing about Pearl Jam and Nirvana is fine, except look at where Pearl Jam is now. They're already another Live or some other forgotten band and they aren't on "best guitarist" lists anywhere. They are exactly where Nirvana would be now, except that Kurt Cobain died, so now he's the "greatest".
omg Yeah. Their last album (out in 2006) debuted at number two in the US Billboard charts. They've been constantly touring selling out big arena shows since the early 90s. Their Tom Petty/Pearl Jam double bill was one of the hottest tickets in the summer of 2006 in fact. Last year Eddie Vedder did the soundtrack to Into The Wild, receiving a Golden Globe nomination. They were on VH1 just last week performing alongside the likes of the Foo Fighters and The Flaming Lips in tribute to The Who. You're right no one remembers Pearl Jam anymore. Glad to see you keep up with current music!

Quote:
Nirvana basically defined a two year period between 1991 and 1992, music drifted a long way from that towards the end of the decade. After grunge, we got post-grunge, like Matchbox Twenty, Fastball and the Goo Goo Dolls, and also it was the beginning of this decade's R & B with TLC and Destiny's Child. We also had a lot of anti-commercial stuff like the New Radicals, Offspring, Blink-182, Stroke-9, Harvey Danger, Lit, and a lot of power pop like Natalie Imruglia, Vonda Shepard, Faith Hill, Celine Dion, etc. Jam bands also became popular like Dave Matthews, the Spin Doctors, and Blues Traveler. It was also the decade of the angry white female, with Alanis Morissette, Fiona Apple, Tori Amos and heck even the Spice Girls. We also saw the boy band era with NKTB, the BSB, N'Sync, Youngstown and even the Meaty Cheesy Boys. LOL! Not to mention, it was also the era of the comeback with the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac and anyone remember "Smooth" with Santana and Rob Thomas? We also had the angry poets like Smashing Pumpkins. There were also just plain great rock bands like Stone Temple Pilots, RHCP, Alice in Chains and many others. You can't really say that Nirvana defined the 90's because the sheer diversity of 90's music rivals only the 1960's. The majority of the 90's sound owes more to REM than it does Nirvana. Whereas in the 80's and today, your choices are pretty homogenous with what gets major label sponsorship.
I do admit I properly laughed out loud when I read your round-up of 90s music, it comes straight off a radio playlist like Paula said! I looked at her post and it said nowhere on it "please give me your roundup of 90s music and keep it to radio bands please as they are the only ones of any importance" Come on you could at the very least mentioned Radiohead, Beck, Missy Elliott or at least one hip hop act!

And The New Radicals were anti-commercial even though they had one of the biggest radio hits of the late 90s? I still hear that song on the radio to this day! Gregg Alexander the main guy in that band actually went on to be a pop songwriter working with ex-Spice Girls, Ronan Keating from Boyzone and Michelle Branch among others.
And Natalie Imbruglia and Vonda Shepherd were power pop? First I've heard of it! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_pop

Anyway to you Nirvana don't define anything, but to a lot of people they do define that decade. I remember the grunge scene so clearly and even though Nirvana were far from my favourite band of that period, they do represent the spirit, the ethos of that time. Their impact is huge, it basically made alternative mainstream and led the way for so many bands that made up the rest of the decade. And of course their demise brought us the Foo Fighters, who are one of the biggest rock bands out there today.

Quote:
Also, everyone kept saying how great Neil Young's playing was and I asked for a few songs that REALLY show his guitar skills and no one could give me one?!
What's the point? You clearly have you mind made up and would only ridicule anything suggested. The fact you looked on YouTube and found a parody clip put together by a fan (you could easily do one of those for Lindsey or many other guitarists) shows that you are more willing to believe a compilation put together for comedic effect that anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post

I noticed you only named popular acts at the time. Your list read like a "The Very Best of the 90's!" CD compilation.
I love you Paula

Last edited by trackaghost; 07-24-2008 at 03:23 PM..
Old 07-24-2008, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Talking

William Shatner should hang up his jock when it comes to releasing albums; but damn, I just gotta have more Spock and Shat!

Old 07-24-2008, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretchen View Post
William Shatner should hang up his jock when it comes to releasing albums; but damn, I just gotta have more Spock and Shat!

Well, they really are the Buckingham Nicks love affair of that generation

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 07-24-2008, 03:44 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
Come on, no backtracking, you did say songs.

omg Yeah. Their last album (out in 2006) debuted at number two in the US Billboard charts. They've been constantly touring selling out big arena shows since the early 90s. Their Tom Petty/Pearl Jam double bill was one of the hottest tickets in the summer of 2006 in fact. Last year Eddie Vedder did the soundtrack to Into The Wild, receiving a Golden Globe nomination. They were on VH1 just last week performing alongside the likes of the Foo Fighters and The Flaming Lips in tribute to The Who. You're right no one remembers Pearl Jam anymore. Glad to see you keep up with current music!

I do admit I properly laughed out loud when I read your round-up of 90s music, it comes straight off a radio playlist like Paula said! I looked at her post and it said nowhere on it "please give me your roundup of 90s music and keep it to radio bands please as they are the only ones of any importance" Come on you could at the very least mentioned Radiohead, Beck, Missy Elliott or at least one hip hop act!

And The New Radicals were anti-commercial even though they had one of the biggest radio hits of the late 90s? I still hear that song on the radio to this day! Gregg Alexander the main guy in that band actually went on to be a pop songwriter working with ex-Spice Girls, Ronan Keating from Boyzone and Michelle Branch among others.
And Natalie Imbruglia and Vonda Shepherd were power pop? First I've heard of it! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_pop

Anyway to you Nirvana don't define anything, but to a lot of people they do define that decade. I remember the grunge scene so clearly and even though Nirvana were far from my favourite band of that period, they do represent the spirit, the ethos of that time. Their impact is huge, it basically made alternative mainstream and led the way for so many bands that made up the rest of the decade. And of course their demise brought us the Foo Fighters, who are one of the biggest rock bands out there today.

What's the point? You clearly have you mind made up and would only ridicule anything suggested. The fact you looked on YouTube and found a parody clip put together by a fan (you could easily do one of those for Lindsey or many other guitarists) shows that you are more willing to believe a compilation put together for comedic effect that anything else.

I love you Paula
Why the hostility?!

It could be that I'm a bit younger than you. I'm 26, so, when Nirvana was in their heyday, I was 11. So, they didn't define that decade for me. When I think about driving around with my friends in the car, we sang along to the songs I mentioned and not Beck or Radiohead. Beck is a little hard to sing along to. I didn't listen to hip-hop ever, so I can't really name anyone. I never liked anything I heard, although I did find Snow amusing.

As far as Pearl Jam goes, I was referring to airplay more than anything. I mean, Say You Will hit pretty high on the album charts, but both singles basically stalled. The last Pearl Jam song I can recall on the radio was "I Am Mine", which I REALLY liked. I wasn't aware of their new albums. They were never one of my favorites. I have Ten and that's about it for me.

I'm glad you found my list amusing, that's what I listened to during that decade. I'm not a Gen-X'er, so the 90's mean something different to me. I never listened to Phish or Radiohead or anything else like it. For the majority of the 90's, I listened to classical music only. It wasn't until 1998 that I even started listening to music with words!

Who are The Flaming Lips?

I was actually serious about asking for great guitar work by Neil Young. I posted that video because it was funny, so why get offended?

You're right, I don't keep up with the radio anymore. I hate the way it sounds. Too much compression and loudness effects ruin the purity of the sound and makes it hard to listen to. I end up with a headache. It sounds fake as opposed to CD. I mainly listen to talk radio or alternative music radio stations that play b-sides now. No doubt, someone is going to argue with me that the radio sounds great and CD''s have crappy sound. (sigh)

Last edited by ajmccarrell; 07-24-2008 at 03:47 PM..
Old 07-24-2008, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Exactly why I didn't bother either.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm actually not being hostile, I genuinely found your round-up of 90s music funny because it was like one of those "Remember the 90s!" Time Life things

I think you're missing out on rap and hip hop.

And I wasn't offended by the Neil Young clip, I actually found it funny, but it perfectly demonstrated your prejudice against him. My suggestion would be to go see him live, because the atmosphere and energy of a concert is a far more convincing thing than any youtube clip.

And The Flaming Lips are a very popular, Grammy Award winning alternative band. They recorded, what many believe, is one of the best albums this decade Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots, although I think their previous effort, The Soft Bulletin is superior (and Entertainment Weekly agree with me - they named it the 23rd greatest album of the last 25 years). I don't think you'll like it too much though because Wayne Coyne isn't the greatest singer!

Last edited by trackaghost; 07-24-2008 at 04:02 PM..
Old 07-24-2008, 04:00 PM
Registered

Quote:
I'm actually not being hostile, I genuinely found your round-up of 90s music funny because it was like one of those "Remember the 90s!" Time Life things

I think you're missing out on rap and hip hop.

And I wasn't offended by the Neil Young clip, I actually found it funny, but it perfectly demonstrated your prejudice against him. My suggestion would be to go see him live, because the atmospheric and energy of a concert is a far more convincing thing that any youtube clip.

And The Flaming Lips are a very popular, Grammy Award winning alternative band. They recorded, what many believe, is one of the best albums this decade Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots, although I think their previous effort, The Soft Bulletin is superior. I don't think you'll like it too much though because Wayne Coyne isn't the greatest singer!
I liked MC Hammer and Heavy D. Does that count as Hip Hop!

I'll have to look up the Flaming Lips and give them a listen. I PROMISE, when Neil Young next comes to Seattle, I will go see him and give you a full report. The one disclaimer being ticket prices.

I have to apologize a bit, since I'm not up on most things. I don't have an iPod or even a cell phone. I've never even USED an iPod. I still use Direct X plugins and haven't even upgraded to VST! I still have a record player.... I was raised in a cult, so my exposure to the outside world is a little limited at times.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Okay, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to laugh, it's just you said it all so matter of factly, and I guess Paula and myself remember those years and the songs that were popular pretty clearly.
The Flaming Lips are worth a listen, their music is pretty interesting and quite ambitious for pop songs at the very least.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermicious knid View Post
Man, your friends are so hip and cool. Can you guys teach us children and queers to be like you?
You're not gonna last long around here making comments like that.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool The greatest band...

Quote:
Who are The Flaming Lips?
out of Oklahoma City, Not the 'typical' environment for an 'alternative' band (Probably the real reason Seattle WHINES about OKC, Not because OKC STOLED the Supersonics, but because the "alternative pop" greats are from OKC - And possibly Jerry Cantrell of Alice in Chains has Oklahoma blood since his Father STILL resides here).

I'm not a fan of 'alternative' music myself (Nor am I fan of hip-hop/rap - Sorry, tried giving it a listen and it did nothing for me. I do like electronic/tech/trance/dance however), but I give my support to a local band who made it to the BIG stage.

I prefer Classic rock, 80's Hard Rock/Metal and modern death/black metal (Which makes up about 95% of my massive collection)...Different strokes for different folks.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 07-24-2008, 08:44 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life View Post
out of Oklahoma City, Not the 'typical' environment for an 'alternative' band (Probably the real reason Seattle WHINES about OKC, Not because OKC STOLED the Supersonics, but because the "alternative pop" greats are from OKC - And possibly Jerry Cantrell of Alice in Chains has Oklahoma blood since his Father STILL resides here).

I'm not a fan of 'alternative' music myself (Nor am I fan of hip-hop/rap - Sorry, tried giving it a listen and it did nothing for me. I do like electronic/tech/trance/dance however), but I give my support to a local band who made it to the BIG stage.

I prefer Classic rock, 80's Hard Rock/Metal and modern death/black metal (Which makes up about 95% of my massive collection)...Different strokes for different folks.
You can have the Sonics! All they do around here is whine about Key Arena and clog traffic when they have a game.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool No thanks...

Quote:
You can have the Sonics! All they do around here is whine about Key Arena and clog traffic when they have a game.
I HATE basketball and I feel they should STAY in Seattle.

Until Oklahoma can removes its head from the O-Who Gooners and the Dallas Cowboys asses this STATE will never be a MAJOR LEAGUE state!!!

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."