User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmccarrell View Post
According to you, the argument would need three chords to be great!
Surprisingly enough I don't just like three chord punk songs
But I do believe a three chord pop song can be just as great as a symphony.
In the end it's all about how it sounds and how it makes you feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
What aboubt Big Mamma Thornton?

I also submit Elvis made pretty much everything interesting just by showing up on the stage. This is mostly true for The Beatles in the early years, though they could write songs.
I agree completely about Elvis! No doubt he had great musicians, but the man could have easily turned up with just his voice and his guitar and mesmerised.

Last edited by trackaghost; 07-23-2008 at 04:35 PM..
Old 07-23-2008, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Well at least you know I'm not attacking her due to a pr0-war biasAnd I have to profoundly disagree with you in regard to her acting ability she is among the most untalented American film actresses of all time ..In fact I'm hard pressed to think of a worse one ..even Pia Zadora had an undeniable campiness something which Madonna lacks ..she is so terrible she can't even muster a so bad she's good camp watchability.
Pia Zadora!!!! LOL...I have not heard her name in a long time. Didn't she record an album too?

Anyway, I agree with you, Madonna is a terrible actress.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:05 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
If you've ever been in a studio trying to record a punk track I'll eat my hat.

You're wrong of course, as there are many punk musicians who believe in capturing things quickly. Funnily enough Neil Young (who isn't punk, but very much in the spirit of it) is one! He won't even let his band rehearse the songs too much before they go in to record them. Paul Westerberg of The Replacements fame is another, his last few albums don't even bother to fix imperfections on the tape.
I am literally trying to record one at this moment. I have a recording rig in my house. Do you want Ketchup?
Old 07-23-2008, 04:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow, I can't believe I didn't catch this until now, but I have to chime in and agree that ajmccarrell has NO idea what they are talking about. Neil Young is probably my absolute favorite guitar player. Seeing him live last year was the greatest experience ever. To question his skills and musicianship is just insane. It's one thing if you can't persoanally appreciate him thats one thing, but don't say he can't play guitar.

And to address the original point of this thread, the MSN guy is right about Neil Young and making good new music. His output of great albums since 1990 is every bit as good as his output from 1970-1980 which is nearly unheard of for classic rock artists especially the ones we are all hear because of.

And yeah, Madonna sucks, whoever sited her streak of #1 albums as proof that the MSN writer is wrong, that meanss nothing, Charts don't indicate ****.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 07-23-2008, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmccarrell View Post
I am literally trying to record one at this moment. I have a recording rig in my house. Do you want Ketchup?
Yeah right. Considering you're so into "technique" and "perfection" and think Kurt Cobain is a lousy guitar player, if you really are trying to record a punk song I bet it's as punk rock as Doris Day.

But then your idea of punk rock is The Sex Pistols

Last edited by trackaghost; 07-23-2008 at 04:47 PM..
Old 07-23-2008, 04:34 PM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

you don't like Madonna and the others? just don't listen them. That's it.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:20 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
Yeah right. Considering you're so into "technique" and "perfection" and think Kurt Cobain is a lousy guitar player, if you really are trying to record a punk song I bet it's as punk rock as Doris Day.

But then your idea of punk rock is The Sex Pistols
I take it you haven't looked up my band or taken a listen. I never said "perfection" I just said that a guitarists technique matters to me and decides if he is actually a good player. If a guy has rotten technique without any other redeeming value, he sucks!

Well, not quite Doris Day, but it sounds more like Stone Temple Pilots. Either way, it's decidedly not punk.

Seriously asking, maybe you'd like to help me? If you pm me your email, I'll send some samples of what I'm doing and maybe you can guide me to great punkitude? I'd really like to know.

And yes, Kurt Cobain is a horrible guitar player.

Last edited by ajmccarrell; 07-23-2008 at 05:50 PM..
Old 07-23-2008, 05:21 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
you don't like Madonna and the others? just don't listen them. That's it.
I do like Madonna, just not Neil Young. At least, not what I've heard. I don't listen to him and no one likes my reason why I don't like him. If anyone has any great Neil Young guitar tracks, I'd be open to hearing them. Any suggestions?
Old 07-23-2008, 05:38 PM
Registered

I looked up Neil Young guitar solos on youtube and got this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XBJeX0UyZ0

If this is real, I have to now conclude that he absolutely sucks worse than I thought.

Is this actually real? Does he really just play one note straight for 15 minutes live?
Old 07-23-2008, 05:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

that video is some funny chit
Old 07-24-2008, 02:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You did not like her in Evita? I readily admit she could not sing the score even written down as it was, though she was not bad with the help of IMO pro tools. But, her acting was decent in it and she got mostly decent reviews. I get that she was awful in just about everything else, save for Desp. Seeking Susan. But, I give her kudos when I see them. Again, the rest of her shiitee (that awful South Beach baby movie and Swept Away -- )

As for her music -- you have never once jammed to her shiitte? Come on
I thought she looked like a mannequin in Evita .. oddly flat and lifeless although the film itself was not terrible like so many of hers were. The only reason she EVER got a part in a major film or any film for that matter is her fame for doing whatever else she does and as for her music some of her collaborators may have helped her come up with some decent tunes but I have never once purchased a Madonna record nor could I bear to listen to one in it's entirety.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
I thought she looked like a mannequin in Evita .. oddly flat and lifeless although the film itself was not terrible like so many of hers were. The only reason she EVER got a part in a major film or any film for that matter is her fame for doing whatever else she does and as for her music some of her collaborators may have helped her come up with some decent tunes but I have never once purchased a Madonna record nor could I bear to listen to one in it's entirety.
So, once again, you have never danced around with wild abandon to some silly Madonna tune and managed to have a good time? Come on -- her stuff is fun

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 07-24-2008, 10:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't like Neil Young's music that much either, but I would never call his songs "cheesy." Britney/Miley/Fergie songs are "cheesy."

I just got the best of the Johnny Cash show on DVD, and there was a clip of Neil playing "The Needle and the Damage Done." It was pretty apparent that he played guitar well in 1969, so...

As far as Nirvana goes, they were hugely popular & predicted to be THE band (along with Pearl Jam) that would be remembered as having changed the music scene long before Kurt died. Yes, his death brought more fame but it's certainly not the reason for their success.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:58 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
I don't like Neil Young's music that much either, but I would never call his songs "cheesy." Britney/Miley/Fergie songs are "cheesy."

I just got the best of the Johnny Cash show on DVD, and there was a clip of Neil playing "The Needle and the Damage Done." It was pretty apparent that he played guitar well in 1969, so...

As far as Nirvana goes, they were hugely popular & predicted to be THE band (along with Pearl Jam) that would be remembered as having changed the music scene long before Kurt died. Yes, his death brought more fame but it's certainly not the reason for their success.
Okay, I was referring to "Rockin' in the Free World" and the Farm Aid stuff as cheesy, not the man's ENTIRE body of work. "The Needle and the Damage Done" is what I would call average guitar playing, from my point of view. It is a powerful song and I wish people would write more like that now. From someone else's, it might be incredible guitar playing.

The thing about Pearl Jam and Nirvana is fine, except look at where Pearl Jam is now. They're already another Live or some other forgotten band and they aren't on "best guitarist" lists anywhere. They are exactly where Nirvana would be now, except that Kurt Cobain died, so now he's the "greatest". Nirvana basically defined a two year period between 1991 and 1992, music drifted a long way from that towards the end of the decade. After grunge, we got post-grunge, like Matchbox Twenty, Fastball and the Goo Goo Dolls, and also it was the beginning of this decade's R & B with TLC and Destiny's Child. We also had a lot of anti-commercial stuff like the New Radicals, Offspring, Blink-182, Stroke-9, Harvey Danger, Lit, and a lot of power pop like Natalie Imruglia, Vonda Shepard, Faith Hill, Celine Dion, etc. Jam bands also became popular like Dave Matthews, the Spin Doctors, and Blues Traveler. It was also the decade of the angry white female, with Alanis Morissette, Fiona Apple, Tori Amos and heck even the Spice Girls. We also saw the boy band era with NKTB, the BSB, N'Sync, Youngstown and even the Meaty Cheesy Boys. LOL! Not to mention, it was also the era of the comeback with the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac and anyone remember "Smooth" with Santana and Rob Thomas? We also had the angry poets like Smashing Pumpkins. There were also just plain great rock bands like Stone Temple Pilots, RHCP, Alice in Chains and many others. You can't really say that Nirvana defined the 90's because the sheer diversity of 90's music rivals only the 1960's. The majority of the 90's sound owes more to REM than it does Nirvana. Whereas in the 80's and today, your choices are pretty homogenous with what gets major label sponsorship.

Also, everyone kept saying how great Neil Young's playing was and I asked for a few songs that REALLY show his guitar skills and no one could give me one?!

Last edited by ajmccarrell; 07-24-2008 at 12:12 PM..
Old 07-24-2008, 12:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
So, once again, you have never danced around with wild abandon to some silly Madonna tune and managed to have a good time? Come on -- her stuff is fun
Nah back in the years when I actually went to clubs I was way more interested in drinking than dancing and don't do much of either anymore ..At the start of Madonna's career I hopefully believed she would be a flash in the pan given the "talent" involved and I didn't really loathe her at first until I heard Material Girl one of the most obnoxious songs ever ..that did it for me.