User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmccarrell View Post
I think the thing about things sounding "too perfect" is the same excuse many musicians use about being "too commcercial". It just means they don't know how to write hooks.

I like a lot of punk, hardcore and garage rock too. I don't think you understood me.
I'm afraid these two sentences don't go together in my book.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just think this article was a hilarious read is WHY I posted it, apparently SOME took it too serious...

PERSONALLY I wished the govt.'s of the world SHOULD BAN COMPILATION albums...Who cares about War/Oil/Terrorism/Global Warming/William Shatner, COMPILATION ALBUMS are the TRUEST EVIL of all!!!! Quick, Get Sting, Bono and Geldof signed up for Comp Aid to save those poor re-releases of songs we've HEARD a Quint-tillion times..."That is just 'BA-DONG' "

How many more Kiss, Heart & Elvis albums does the world need? How does Elvis find the time to record albums of old tracks when he is TOO BOOKED playing Vegas, Branson, your local lounge and/or Elvis convention?

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 07-23-2008, 02:54 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
I'm afraid these two sentences don't go together in my book.
Okay, well we're in two totally different worlds. By it's very nature Punk, Hardcore, or whatever do not exclude them from being done commercially or perfectly. You'd be surprised at how many people spend years in the studio trying to sound spontaneous, or "not perfect". Or those people who spend hours on that "just rolled out of bed" look. Recording music is no different.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Okay, well we're in two totally different worlds. By it's very nature Punk, Hardcore, or whatever do not exclude them from being done commercially or perfectly.
You couldn't be more wrong It's about capturing a moment, not technical perfection. That's what punk is!

Btw, I do play guitar, and I don't think how technically brilliant a song is makes it great, as absurb as that may seem to you. Some of the greatest songs ever are three simple chords. There's also small things like passion and soul put into a performance.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
. . . Some of the greatest songs ever are three simple chords . . . .
I submit that is what most of the beginings of Rock and Roll was.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 07-23-2008, 03:03 PM
Registered

Quote:
You couldn't be more wrong It's about capturing a moment, not technical perfection. That's what punk is!

Btw, I do play guitar, and I don't think how technically brilliant a song is makes it great, as absurb as that may seem to you. Some of the greatest songs ever are three simple chords. There's also small things like passion and soul put into a performance.
Have you ever been in a studio trying to record a punk track? It's mostly about long hours trying to get the right take more than inspiration.

I don't think a song could be great being only three chords by definition, which is the heart of where we disagree.

Of course Passion and Soul make a great performance, but there is a such thing as skill.

Listening to any old great punk musicians from the Sex Pistols on, does not seem to be about "capturing a moment" as much as recording a well crafted and well performed song. I mean, ANY recording is about capturing a moment, but mostly about recording what you were there to record in the first place.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life View Post
I just think this article was a hilarious read is WHY I posted it, apparently SOME took it too serious...

Don't be such a Debbie Downer, this is a GREAT argument!
Old 07-23-2008, 03:04 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
I submit that is what most of the beginings of Rock and Roll was.
Three chords by themselves would be very boring. Guys like Chuck Berry made it interesting by being good musicians. Where would Elvis be without Bill Black or Scotty Moore?
Old 07-23-2008, 03:05 PM
Registered

Quote:
According to you, the argument would need three chords to be great!
Old 07-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink I was...

Quote:
(As always) being sarcastic with that statement!!!

I think Lindsey, Stevie, Mick & Chris need to STOP MAKING ALBUMS...(They release an album as often as one can have a child, raise it and send it off to college )

Cause John RULES and they wouldnt have ANY success with him!!!

John McVie - The REAL genius behind Fleetwood Mac...Fire the rest of 'em!

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 07-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post

I think it is interesting that the two you attack are also heavily anti war - I think I see a correlation
Well at least you know I'm not attacking her due to a pr0-war biasAnd I have to profoundly disagree with you in regard to her acting ability she is among the most untalented American film actresses of all time ..In fact I'm hard pressed to think of a worse one ..even Pia Zadora had an undeniable campiness something which Madonna lacks ..she is so terrible she can't even muster a so bad she's good camp watchability.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Have you ever been in a studio trying to record a punk track? It's mostly about long hours trying to get the right take more than inspiration.
If you've ever been in a studio trying to record a punk track I'll eat my hat.

You're wrong of course, as there are many punk musicians who believe in capturing things quickly. Funnily enough Neil Young (who isn't punk, but very much in the spirit of it) is one! He won't even let his band rehearse the songs too much before they go in to record them. Paul Westerberg of The Replacements fame is another, his last few albums don't even bother to fix imperfections on the tape.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Three chords by themselves would be very boring. Guys like Chuck Berry made it interesting by being good musicians. Where would Elvis be without Bill Black or Scotty Moore?
What aboubt Big Mamma Thornton?

I also submit Elvis made pretty much everything interesting just by showing up on the stage. This is mostly true for The Beatles in the early years, though they could write songs.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Well at least you know I'm not attacking her due to a pr0-war biasAnd I have to profoundly disagree with you in regard to her acting ability she is among the most untalented American film actresses of all time ..In fact I'm hard pressed to think of a worse one ..even Pia Zadora had an undeniable campiness something which Madonna lacks ..she is so terrible she can't even muster a so bad she's good camp watchability.
You did not like her in Evita? I readily admit she could not sing the score even written down as it was, though she was not bad with the help of IMO pro tools. But, her acting was decent in it and she got mostly decent reviews. I get that she was awful in just about everything else, save for Desp. Seeking Susan. But, I give her kudos when I see them. Again, the rest of her shiitee (that awful South Beach baby movie and Swept Away -- )

As for her music -- you have never once jammed to her shiitte? Come on

Last edited by strandinthewind; 07-23-2008 at 03:24 PM..
Old 07-23-2008, 03:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

All I can add, without being SARCATIC is...

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they smell!