User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:43 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
Apparently not to millions of people world wide. I mean you have your opinion and all, but I'd venture to say you are vastly out numbered.

Also, what exactly constitutes a slut? I say this in an historical way. She has inspired fashion since 1982 ish. So, if dressing like a slut is what she does, then seemingly women for the last 25 or so years are doing that as well. i get she did a nudie book, but that was 16 or so years ago. Also, I might agree with you in general if that 50 year old woman looked even 40. But, Madonna's body looks like she is in her 30's. Finally, dignity is how one judge's oneself, not how others judge another. For all we know, she has lots of dignity. Who am I to judge her about that?

Also, she is a highly trained and very good dancer, which is performace talent.

I think it is interesting that the two you attack are also heavily anti war - I think I see a correlation
Ya know, I never noticed the correlation about the war thing. I just hate his music and I think Madonna needs to grow up a bit. I mean, she looks good, but if you can afford to buy a body and face, anyone can look good. I think it is just a leftist thing to prolong adolescence as long as possible. I mean, how many conservative sluts are there? Anyway, I don't want to get too political here. I actually like Madonna's music, but I don't understand the ego or the hype. On a local radio station, she did a voiceover that says "I AM madonna" instead of "Hey there, it's Rob Thomas from Matchbox Twenty and you are listening to...." I don't get the reason for the ego. To me, entertainers are supposed to be a distraction from real life problems and when they weigh in on current events with a high school education and no real experience in the private sector beyond gigging, I lose most interest in them whether conservative or liberal. I would listen to a Michael Jordan, who is a businessman, over Madonna anyday. As far as the dignity goes, I have to say that dignity is based on societal norms and not what you think of yourself. That would mean that any degraded person, or insane person, is dignified even if they are lying in a gutter in their own filth. Not to say Madonna is doing that, but I disagree with your premise.

I don't mind being outnumbered by people worldwide. I mean, last year there was a survey on British culture and the majority of people thought that Sherlock Holmes was real and that Winston Churchill was a myth! I have never really cared what the majority thought about anything, since most of them know the names of the Idol contestants but couldn't name their own senator, or those who know the name of Paris Hilton's dog, but couldn't tell you who the secretary of the treasury is. Most polls prove to me that people just swallow good marketing and believe whatever they are handed. Music is all about packaging and has little to do with quality anymore.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmccarrell View Post
Buy my album and you'll see I have written songs as good as those. Okay, I did forget about Needles and the Damage done. It is a pretty good song, but not exactly in the top 500 of the decade even. It's a song that is very good for a folk singer in a coffee shop. In fact, I've heard better from guys at coffee shops.
Having seen your list of artists who are "good" and those who aren't, I think I'll be saving my money for the next Neil Young album, thanks

Funnily enough three of Neil Young's songs made Rolling Stones' list of the 500 Greatest Songs Of All Time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/500_Gre...gs_of_All_Time

I'd be surprised to see Sinai 48 ever make this list lol

Quote:
I don't know if you can call what he does "playing". It is all at an extremely rudimentary level. His "singing" is better described as moaning and croaking. LOL! One poster pointed out The Needle and the Damage done which is a good song, I will admit. Please tell me someone who doesn't cringe at "Keep on Rocking". LOL!
lol you're funny. The fact that you think Neil Young is cheesy suggests that you know nothing about his music or the man at all other than a few songs you heard on the radio lol
Old 07-23-2008, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
What happened? I didn't call anyone names. Perhaps I missed it too as my post is deleted.
Sheesh.
Well then, I think you're a twit

(for the weak of heart, I am joking with Richard )

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 07-23-2008, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well then, I think you're a twit

(for the weak of heart, I am joking with Richard )
I love it. You're my man, Strand, my main man.

Last edited by Richard B; 07-23-2008 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: Grammar: needed to use "you're" correctly.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think it is just a leftist thing to prolong adolescence as long as possible. I mean, how many conservative sluts are there?
omg Now I realise it's pointless arguing. Wow.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
. . . I mean, how many conservative sluts are there . . . .
Ann Counter - I mean she wears a come fukc me dress showing off her misquito bump breasts and bony clavicle and Adam's Apple at eight in the morning.

Then again, can a man be a slut

Poor Ann

Also, let's see:

1. Sen. Craig (after all, he plead guilty after throwing his position around did not work)

2. too many far right preachers to name

3. Strom Thurmond -- and with a black woman

4. Al State Attorney General Troy King -- though not proven yet, it will be

5. Neil Bush -- hey the hooker just showed up at my door - -what was I supposed to do?

6. Bob Barr - honey I know you are sick and likely dying, but please sign these divorce papers wherein I am screwing you over

7. Mark Foley - emails to the teenage boys in your employ anyone.

8. Ted Haggard -- Leader of the National Association of Evangelicals
(November 2006) and chronic beneffactor of male prostitutes and crystal meth -- BUT I WAS THERE FOR A MASSAGE ONLY

9. Bob Allen - Member of the Florida House of Representatives, Florida Chairman of John McCain’s Presidential Campaign (July 11, 2007) -- How about a hummer for $20 you big black burly man?

10. Glenn Murphy Jr. -- National Chairman of the Young Republicans (July 28, 2007) -- mouth-to-penis resuscitation of your asleep friend anyone - and repeated violations at that

11. Senator David Vitter -- I LOVE A HOOKER

12. Jeff Gannon -- gay rent boy in the White House anyone -- and just how did he pass that post 9/11 WH screening? Go here for "Bulldog's" lewd pics. and rates http://www.americablog.com/2005/02/man-called-jeff.html

I could go on, but I think that is enough for now.

Back to the topic at hand, I am happy Haircut 100 stopped recording.

Last edited by strandinthewind; 07-23-2008 at 02:10 PM..
Old 07-23-2008, 02:09 PM
Registered

Quote:
Ann Counter - I mean she wears a come fukc me dress showing off her misquito bump breasts and bony clavicle and Adam's Apple at eight in the morning.

Then again, can a man be a slut

Poor Ann

Also, let's see:

1. Sen. Craig (after all, he plead guilty after throwing his position around did not work)

2. too many far right preachers to name

3. Strom Thurmond -- and with a black woman

4. Al State Attorney General Troy King -- though not proven yet, it will be

5. Neil Bush -- hey the hooker just showed up at my door - -what was I supposed to do?

6. Bob Barr - honey I know you are sick and likely dying, but please sign these divorce papers wherein I am screwing you over

7. Mark Foley - emails to the teenage boys in your employ anyone.

8. Ted Haggard -- Leader of the National Association of Evangelicals
(November 2006) and chronic beneffactor of male prostitutes and crystal meth -- BUT I WAS THERE FOR A MASSAGE ONLY

9. Bob Allen - Member of the Florida House of Representatives, Florida Chairman of John McCain’s Presidential Campaign (July 11, 2007) -- How about a hummer for $20 you big black burly man?

10. Glenn Murphy Jr. -- National Chairman of the Young Republicans (July 28, 2007) -- mouth-to-penis resuscitation of your asleep friend anyone - and repeated violations at that

11. Senator David Vitter -- I LOVE A HOOKER

I could go on, but I think that is enough for now.

Back to the topic at hand, I am happy Haircut 100 stopped recording.

I was talking about entertainment. What is the point of this post anyway, why do you need to get nasty all the time, why do you need to drag politics into EVERYTHING, and who is Haircut 100?
Old 07-23-2008, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I was talking about entertainment. What is the point of this post anyway, why do you need to get nasty all the time, why do you need to drag politics into EVERYTHING . . . .
I was responding to your comment. For the record, I think Bulldog's stripping could be considered in the entertainment industry

Quote:
. . . . and who is Haircut 100?
Alas, this explains alot (joking) -- they were a one hit English wonder in the 80's with a kind of cool song called "Love Plus One."

Old 07-23-2008, 02:16 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
Having seen your list of artists who are "good" and those who aren't, I think I'll be saving my money for the next Neil Young album, thanks

Funnily enough three of Neil Young's songs made Rolling Stones' list of the 500 Greatest Songs Of All Time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/500_Gre...gs_of_All_Time

I'd be surprised to see Sinai 48 ever make this list lol

lol you're funny. The fact that you think Neil Young is cheesy suggests that you know nothing about his music or the man at all other than a few songs you heard on the radio lol
Well, we just hired an attorney who says there are 3 labels that we may end up getting signed with, so you never know?!

I'd be surprised if any of my songs made it there, but I think we'd all agree that Rhiannon and Go Your Own Way should be higher and a lot of those songs shouldn't be on there at all.

Besides, how "great" a song may be is irrelevant to musicianship. I mean, everyone knows Twinkle Twinkle and it is a "great" song because of its influence and impact, but it doesn't take much to play it. Neil Young may have "great" songs, but he's a poor musician. I mean, look at Kurt Cobain. He could barely play, he can't sing that well, he wrote some good songs, but he's consistently on the list of the greatest guitarists?! Why? Good marketing and the fact that he's dead. If he hadn't died, he'd be another STP or Live. He certaintly isn't a great guitarist. I mean, he makes the list and Elvis makes the list, but Lindsey doesn't?

My parents listened to a lot of Neil Young albums while I grew up and I just didn't like them. So what?! His voice grates, his songs are okay but nothing spectacular, and his guitar playing annoys me. Can we talk this subject to death any more?!
Old 07-23-2008, 02:17 PM
Registered

Quote:
I was responding to your comment. For the record, I think Bulldog's stripping could be considered in the entertainment industry

Alas, this explains alot (joking) -- they were a one hit English wonder in the 80's with a kind of cool song called "Love Plus One."
I think bulldog stripping DESCRIBES the entertainment industry!
Old 07-23-2008, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think bulldog stripping DESCRIBES the entertainment industry!
I tend to agree. However, there is still some fun, albeit not particularly great, music being released. I love "Since You've Been Gone" by Kelly Clarkson. I loved "Beautiful" by Aguilera. I like Madonna's new record -- and a few others. I realize these are not going to make people forget "tea for two" anytime soon. But, they are fun to listen to.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:24 PM
Registered

Quote:
I tend to agree. However, there is still some fun, albeit not particularly great, music being released. I love "Since You've Been Gone" by Kelly Clarkson. I loved "Beautiful" by Aguilera. I like Madonna's new record -- and a few others. I realize these are not going to make people forget "tea for two" anytime soon. But, they are fun to listen to.
I compiled a list of the greatest songs from the 1990's (in my opinion anyway) and I came up with over 250. I tried the same thing for this decade and I had a hard time coming up with 50! There is still some good music being put out, but it doesn't tend to hit REALLY big. Kelly Clarkson is one major exception! I like a lot of the semi-smaller acts like Matisyahu, Brandi Carlile, etc. They'll never be Madonna level, but at least they're popular enough to get serious notice.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Besides, how "great" a song may be is irrelevant to musicianship. I mean, everyone knows Twinkle Twinkle and it is a "great" song because of its influence and impact, but it doesn't take much to play it. Neil Young may have "great" songs, but he's a poor musician. I mean, look at Kurt Cobain. He could barely play, he can't sing that well, he wrote some good songs, but he's consistently on the list of the greatest guitarists?! Why? Good marketing and the fact that he's dead. If he hadn't died, he'd be another STP or Live. He certaintly isn't a great guitarist. I mean, he makes the list and Elvis makes the list, but Lindsey doesn't?
Lol, now you've completely lost me. I can't even relate to someone who dismisses Madonna, Neil Young, Kurt Cobain and Elvis.

And the fact you keep harping on about musicianship completely confirms to me that you know nothing about Neil Young, because he has very distinct views on that and things sounding too perfect. Thank god others share this view too, I don't even want to think about a world without punk, hardcore or garage rock

For the record, if you've ever seen Neil Young live playing acoustically, he's actually a superb acoustic guitar player. But I guess if you don't like anything too loud or challenging there's not much I can do to convince you I saw Nirvana back in the day too and they were amazing live, as someone who is turned off by what has happened since his death, I think sometimes it's easy to forget their impact, influence and importance.

Last edited by trackaghost; 07-23-2008 at 02:33 PM..
Old 07-23-2008, 02:44 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
Lol, now you've completely lost me. I can't even relate to someone who dismisses Madonna, Neil Young, Kurt Cobain and Elvis.

And the fact you keep harping on about musicianship completely confirms to me that you know nothing about Neil Young, because he has very distinct views on that and things sounding too perfect. Thank god others share this view too, I don't even want to think about a world without punk, hardcore or garage rock

For the record, if you've ever seen Neil Young live playing acoustically, he's actually a superb acoustic guitar player. But I guess if you don't like anything too loud or challenging there's not much I can do to convince you I saw Nirvana back in the day too and they were amazing live, as someone who is turned off by what has happened since his death, I think sometimes it's easy to forget their impact, influence and importance.
Okay, I didn't dismiss Madonna. I like her music, I don't like her image. I wasn't dismissing Elvis either, but pointing out that he's not one of the top ten best guitarists in the world and Kurt Cobain wasn't either.

My question for you would be, do you play the guitar? My mentor is Mason Williams, the guy who did "Classical Gas", so I'm a little more picky about what a superb guitar player would be than your average person would be. When I look at a guitar player, I am looking at technique, such as hand positioning, execution and clarity of notes, the absense of buzzing noises, tone and a variety of other things. I'm a classical player, so I don't have a lot of respect for people that most people would consider great. I mean people adore Cobain, but forget guys like Eric Johnson. One more example, that may piss you off too, is Big Love. For a BAD classical player, it is easy and most classical guitarists could do it sleeping. For most people, it is unattainable to think they could play it. It just depends on your perspective. There's an old joke, "Q: How do you get a guitar player to stop playing? A: Put sheet music in front of him." 99% of guitarists can't read music, but it doesn't diminish their accomplishments. Lindsey can't read music, which makes him poor technically, but it doesn't diminish his accomplishments. In fact, it magnifies them. Most guitarists are not like LB, however, and that does make them poor musicians.

I think the thing about things sounding "too perfect" is the same excuse many musicians use about being "too commcercial". It just means they don't know how to write hooks. I don't think it is that I don't understand Neil Young, I just think you are not a musician, so my opinion seems foreign. Like, "how can someone think that". I'm looking at it from a critical standpoint and not one of a fan. When I hear a song, I pick the different parts out in my head and analyze them. I can't just "listen".

I like a lot of punk, hardcore and garage rock too. I don't think you understood me.

I love challenging music. I just think most people would be surprised that Van Halen's Spanish Fly is not the hardest guitar song to play, Bach's Prelude # 6 is. For someone like me that has an exceptional musical education for most of his life, it seems totally foreign that something Neil Young does isn't all that hard for me.

Last edited by ajmccarrell; 07-23-2008 at 02:51 PM..
Old 07-23-2008, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think someone pooped their pants!