The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For those who are maybe "new" in this amazing FM world, it's rare to say that this is not new.
Personally, when I heard about Fleetwood Mac, I had two versions of the band: The first one, and the most important, the Rumours and TITN era band (forgetting FM '75, Tusk and Mirage). Then, the Peter Green's band, with Black Magic Woman as their most important song (maybe because Santana covered it). Rare, isn't it? I don't know if that happens in this side of the world, or in the whole world, sincerely.
All the time I only hear and read in other sites: "yes, FM, the band of Dreams, GYOW, Don't Stop, Little Lies and Landslide", or "Yes, FM. Their past singer was Peter Green". But nothing about Bob Welch, or Jeremy Spencer, or Danny Kirwan, or even Bob Weston. And I think is not fair, because Fleetwood Mac was, is and will be all of that and more. The appreciation for Bob Welch is well deserved, but with things like the absence of the 1971-1974 albums on sites like itunes and stuff, we won't know much more.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
The appreciation for Bob Welch is well deserved, but with things like the absence of the 1971-1974 albums on sites like itunes and stuff, we won't know much more.
I wonder how much of that is related to things like Cliff Adams/Davis?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-15-2013, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If Christine in the Guardian said: "I loved the stuff we did with Bob Welch [in the early 70s]: Mystery To Me, Bare Trees, Future Games" why would she be the person keeping Bob from the R&R Hall? Or is it a clever ruse? I don't know anymore... I think part of it is that with so many members the line gets drawn someplace, but Bob was a major part.

Christine also makes a comment that leaves the impression Sandy Denny only sang, but she was a fantastic pianist and a very good acoustic guitarist too. Maybe she had her confused with Lulu or something?
Old 12-16-2013, 12:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
why would she be the person keeping Bob from the R&R Hall? Or is it a clever ruse?
Christine became a recluse in 1998, now she wants back in the band. Maybe she's reflected a bit more on those days and is over whatever was bothering her sixteen years ago.

Quote:
Christine also makes a comment that leaves the impression Sandy Denny only sang, but she was a fantastic pianist and a very good acoustic guitarist too. Maybe she had her confused with Lulu or something?
I'm betting that her primary exposure to Sandy Denny was during Sandy's first time around with Fairport Convention (when Richard Thompson was in the band), and Sandy didn't play an instrument on stage at that time.

ETA:

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 12-16-2013 at 12:32 AM..
Old 12-22-2013, 04:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Don't worry, Wendy. There are a lots of fans out there who will never forget Bob's incredible contributions to Fleetwood Mac.

Here is a fantastic, new live cover of one of his FM classics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZOzr1Oh_SI

Sorry, link only - embed not working for me.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brown View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZOzr1Oh_SI
Sorry, link only - embed not working for me.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks, Viv - you're an angel

Old 07-17-2017, 02:54 AM
Ledgie

I think you would be interested to see this documentary from the Biography channel which not only interviewed Bob Welch, but also half-forgotten members Rick Vito, Billy Burnette, and Bekka Bramlett. Only problem is whoever made this documentary clearly didn't bother with music clearances and it's almost all generic ("Oh Well" somehow made the cut). There's nothing worse than a music documentary that omits the music but it's cool to hear from the usually unsung band members.

https://www.biography.com/video/flee...phy-9576003710

EDIT: It also claims that Bekka Bramlett and Dave Mason were introduced at the Clinton inauguration performance. Umm what?

Last edited by RockyRaccoon; 07-17-2017 at 03:08 AM..