Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-02-2007, 01:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
That is so high school!

Some homeless man on a bike asked me last week if I had heard that Magic Johnson had died. I said no, and then he looked at me disgusted and said I clearly wasn't a Lakers fan. WTF?
Magic Johnson died?
Old 01-02-2007, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
Magic Johnson died?
i just did a google search - i don't think so.

people are weird.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Magic Johnson died?
Not that I am aware of. The guy was a nut bag. If I had not kept walking I suspect he would have asked me how much I benched too.

All animals are equal. But some animals are more equal than others.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Magic Johnson died?
He's the one with AIDS right? He still looks hella healthy for having it for so long.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: In a dream. looking through a crystal glass or a piece of crystal or a diamond or something.

Magic Johnson isn't dead and I don't think even has an AIDS diagnosis. He's HIV positive for years and really takes care of himself.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickypt View Post
Magic Johnson isn't dead and I don't think even has an AIDS diagnosis. He's HIV positive for years and really takes care of himself.
Not to sound rude and disrespectful to those living with the diagnosis, but he's healthy mainly due to his financial/celebruty/sexual orientation status?
Old 01-02-2007, 02:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: In a dream. looking through a crystal glass or a piece of crystal or a diamond or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheEdgeof17 View Post
Not to sound rude and disrespectful to those living with the diagnosis, but he's healthy mainly due to his financial/celebruty/sexual orientation status?
I'm sure he has the best health care possible. If you have good health care and can afford the drugs (or have good insurance), then you can live healthy for 20-25 years these days. I have friends who were diagnosed with HIV 15-20 years ago and have never had one problem (except side effects from the drugs).

The people who die quickly or suffer a lot of health problems these days are those who find out too late they have HIV, or don't have good care, or have other things going on like Hep C, substance abuse issues, etc. Or a combination of all of the above.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickypt View Post
The people who die quickly or suffer a lot of health problems these days are those who find out too late they have HIV, or don't have good care, or have other things going on like Hep C, substance abuse issues, etc. Or a combination of all of the above.

Believe it or not, I take care of a lot of people who are HIV+ in the hills of WVA. You're right, the ones who are the most sick are the ones you mentioned above. Prisoners are ones to add to your list. They always seem to come into the hospital and turn from bad to worse very quickly. They are not getting the care they need in jail. Ethical problem, for sure.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Believe it or not, I take care of a lot of people who are HIV+ in the hills of WVA. You're right, the ones who are the most sick are the ones you mentioned above. Prisoners are ones to add to your list. They always seem to come into the hospital and turn from bad to worse very quickly. They are not getting the care they need in jail. Ethical problem, for sure.
Yes, indeed. HIV and prisons is a huge, huge problem and their health care is usually absolute crap.

West Virginia is actually a bit "famous" in the AIDS world as you all had a waiting list for AIDS drugs a few years ago and three people died while on that list. But that has all changed and there are some amazing advocates in your state.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh, I forgot - why do black men ask you how much you bench? ???
I have no idea... I suspect it's the same reason why people talk back at the movie screen in a mostly-black theatre - I just find in general that blacks are relatively more vocal about their opinions.

When I get comments, it's usually when I'm in a store trying on clothes (which is always a nightmare). Let's just say that I know how Dolly Parton must feel- big boobs on a skinny frame. But once when I was in San Francisco and walking through the Tenderloin (in broad daylight, mind you), this black guy I was passing on the sidewalk just reached out and felt me up! A split second. I was like... WTF?? Anyway, now I make sure to give that area a wide berth whenever I'm in SF.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I thought there was that lingering speculation about he really contracted HIV, especially since, statistically speaking, female-to-male transmission is extremely low. I don't remember the exact figure... but I think it was tantamount to getting struck with lightning.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
You could have told him you would perform some karate if he could kindly accompany you on bongos and sing a rousing version Harry Belafonte's Bananaboat song.

That would have been priceless.
Oh, the irony of a homeless man singing "...me want to go home" is too much. Anyway, with my luck, he probably would have started singing it.