User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-15-2002, 03:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Heart Danny Kirwan's solo stuff!!

I am seriously digging Danny Kirwan's solo stuff. (THANKS JOHN!!)

My assessments of the songs I have:

Wings of a Dove: Sounds like it could have been an FM song!! I like it a lot!

Hot Summers Day: Such a great song, I love the aaahhh's. LOL If you know what part I'm talking about. HAHAHA

Misty River: I LOVE this one!!! It is GREATNESS!!!! It's country/60's sounding/Eagles-sounding...SO COOL!!!

Rolling Hills: This sounds Eagles-ish too....so pretty!! It's a great instrumental.

Second Chapter: Love the strings in this one...it sounds like it could be in a 60's movie or something to me. And, ending with a sax...that's wierd to me! LOL

Spaceman: Sounds like an FM song also, with those tinkly keyboard sounds like Christine would do. I love the keyboards in this one!!

Summer Days and Summer Nights: Reminds me of the Beach Boys at the beginning!! LOL Who's the chick singing? That is a chick, right? It's an okay song...not my fave tho.

Silver Streams: This reminded me of Tusk (the album, not the song), the very first time I heard it, don't ask me why. Sounds like a CM song from Tusk...WAIT, it kinda sounds like Dust...country-fied a tad...lalalalala....I like this song!!! LOL Tusk, Dust, WHATEVER! Now, it sounds like Hawaii...LOL It's COOL!

Cascades: Sounds 60's to me...love that harpsicord!! The guitar is so gorgeous too...

Castaway: Another FM sounding song...to me, anyways...

Angel's Delight: Pretty melody on this song.

Only You: Rockin song! Love the guitar solo!

Gettin the Feelin: Dang, this REALLY sounds like the Eagles, the harmonies and all...I like the Eagles....I like this song!

Lovely Days: Pretty melody....love the strings!!

Windy Autumn Day: It's an okay song, not my fave tho.

I Can Tell: Another Eagles-sounding song..maybe that's why I like them so much!!

Mary Jane: What an interesting song compared to the rest! LOL Sounds kinda Carribbean...

This stuff just makes me wish I was in the Carribean or something...it's so soothing...I am LOVING IT!! GO DANNY!! Why did he go nutsos and leave, but alas...then, I wouldn't have my Lindsey!!! NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! HAHA, but Danny is coolness!! I would love to be able to find all of his solos!!
Old 08-15-2002, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile YOUR WELCOME!

My pleasure Christy!

The girl singing in SDASN is Dana Gillespie, yet another wonderful but overlooked British Blues diva (Jo Ann Kelly etc.). I found the DK/Dana paring VERY interesting.

The rockin' guitar solo in OY is by "Kirby" the guitarist from the infamous "Fake Mac" of the MTM tour. At least it kinda gives us an idea as to how they may have sounded in concert! (Of couse I don't even know if I WANT to know how that sounded!)

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 08-16-2002 at 07:34 AM..
Old 08-15-2002, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow Thanks John..

Another British blues diva..eh? Interesting...LOL And to think, I thought Christine was the ONLY British blues diva!
Old 08-15-2002, 03:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile well...

OK, maybe I'm s t r e t c h i n g it a little!

John
Old 08-15-2002, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yay, John!! It's good karma to "share the wealth"!

Danny's solo albums are SO overlooked and underappreciated.

Actually, of the three solo albums, I tend to favor "Midnight In San Juan". LOVE Danny's reggae treatment of the Beatles' "Let It Be". The title cut is wonderful, but that Mini-Moog is annoying, too bad Danny didn't layer guitars instead of using the synth (that actually goes for the entire album). And, "I Can Tell" is my favorite Danny Kirwan solo tune.

I just hope that someday he'll be able to conquer his demons (or somehow peacefully co-exist with them) and get back into playing, writing & recording again. If Peter could do it, I hope that Danny could once again follow in his footsteps.

Hmmmm...how about a list...I haven't done a list in an hour or so.

Kiln House II:
I Can Tell- Danny Kirwan
Flee-Jeremy Spencer
Castaway-Danny Kirwan
You've Got The Right-Jeremy Spencer
Midnight In San Juan-Danny Kirwan
Travelling-Jeremy Spencer
Wings Of A Dove-Danny Kirwan
Love Our Way Outta Here-Jeremy Spencer
Purple Dancer-Fleetwood Mac
Dragonfly-Fleetwood Mac

Last edited by chiliD; 08-15-2002 at 04:09 PM..
Old 08-15-2002, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

I agree ChiliD that MISJ is the most instantly likable album of DK's solo offerings and I LOVE to give any FM fan the chance to hear any FM (or related stuff I have) from the "less familiar" lineups! I just thought as Christy was just starting out on DK solo stuff, I figured I'd give an overview of each album. The thing I forgot about was that since Danny's solo albums are so short on running time (and it was one side of a 110 minute tape, I ended up taping more than half of HTBB & MISJ and just about half of SC as well on that one side alone!

I always wondered if the title track of MISJ is one of the ones (that Clifford Davis alledges (sp?)) was not finished by Danny. Maybe I heard wrong but I thought I understood that Danny may not even be on that track (if what CD says is true that he ended up putting on the acoustic guitar parts in the end, chose the songs for inclusion, etc.) or what? I may be thinking of what (suppossedly) went on with "Hello there big boy" though. I just wondered as they must have known that if someone was going to hear a DK instrumental, then they would expect to hear Danny's one of a kind guitar playing through it (such as on "Rolling hills") but I'm speculating that maybe they couldn't get his guitar part down for the MISJ title track before his "illness" took over and they knew there would be no way they could replicate Danny's electric guitar work themselves so they tried to "hide" it with that annoying moog part in the track and the acoustic guitar could be DK but might be Clifford (if what he said was true and this one was one of the tracks he was referring to) as I assume he figured he could "get away with" people thinking the acoustic guitar parts he laid down for the track were Danny? Just a thought, I always wondered about it anyways as it seemed like one of the most "possible offenders". The MISJ title track is still great anyways!

How about the "possibly hidden" DK vocals on the first two lines of the second verse of "Gettin' the feelin'" from HTBB (this was the one I thought of when thinking that HTBB may be more "guilty" in this sense), any ideas? Don't get me wrong, I still LOVE these albums (and these songs I mentioned) and Davis is probably not truthful when he makes such claims but it just came to mind is all when discussing this.

Anyways, hey, great Kiln House sequel list ChiliD! I'll have to put that one together on tape and check it out. I sure hope Danny can make the comeback someday too.

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 08-16-2002 at 07:40 AM..
Old 08-16-2002, 12:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

That Kiln House 2 would be a great idea, I wish they could do it and I could get Dragonfly finally then.