Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-03-2002, 07:56 PM
Senior Ledgie

Question Heroes Are Hard To Find?

Whats your take on this album?...I only reciently got it. I had most of the tracks before, But its really different as a whole album. I have to say that I really like it. I have been listening to it a lot the past few days....Shes Changing Me is my new favourite BOB Welch song..And Prove Your Love is greatness as well....So any thoughts on this album?....

Last edited by thewhitewingedd; 01-18-2007 at 02:50 PM..
Old 08-04-2002, 06:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I like this album, although not nearly as much as Mystery To Me & Bare Trees. I love Come A Little Bit Closer and Prove Your Love. Those are great songs. I like She's Changing Me & Silver Heels, but I don't really care all that much for Bob Welch's other songs on here. This album is sort of in the middle for me of the Bob Welch era Fleetwood Mac albums-good but not great.
Old 08-04-2002, 12:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It has a special place for me since it was:

1) the album they were touring to promote when I saw them in concert the first time.

2) After all the legal hassles that almost prevented them from even BEING "Fleetwood Mac", it was great that this album was finally made & released.

As with a lot of albums, I just think the tracking order isn't what it could be...so after about 25+ years (and thanks to the invention of CD programming technology) of tinkering with it, I think this order makes more sense:

Heroes Are Hard To Find (great opener)
She's Changing Me
Prove Your Love
Silver Heels
Angel
Bad Loser
Bermuda Triangle
Born Enchanter
Come A Little Bit Closer
Coming Home
Safe Harbour
(Welch's "Albatross" )

The two songs I originally didn't care for, "She's Changing Me" & "Silver Heels" are now right up there with my faves of the album. This album just seems to get stronger with age.

Last edited by chiliD; 08-05-2002 at 09:01 AM..
Old 08-11-2002, 06:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation LMAO!!

This thread is hilarious, but only to me because I JUST listened to this LP earlier today and was gonna give my "review" of it! LOL

So, here tis...

HAHTF - "in the mooooooooood.." LOVE THAT, this is a fun song!!

Coming Home - Wierd beginning, sounds like a science fiction movie...may take some getting use to. LOL

Angel - Ok, not bad, but not memorable to me.

Bermuda Triangle - I love the guitar on this one!

Come a Little Bit Closer - Beautiful song with the strings!! Although, her vocals seem drowned out by the music...but that could be the album...maybe if I heard a CD of it...

She's Changing Me - I love the melody, and it sounds kinda country-fied.

Bad Loser - Reminded me of a western movie! LOL Cool song!

Silver Heels - Ok song, I liked the claps. LOL

Prove Your Love - Pretty song. Sounds like it could have been made in the 60's.

Born Enchanter - Talk about Stevie-esque! The vocals and lyrics...not the music.

Safe Harbour - Very mellow and cool. Woohoo!!

It's funny because on the back cover it says Bob Welch - guitar, vocals and vibes. LOL What the heck? Vibes...what kind of vibes?

What a great picture on the back, them laughing and Bob wearing a FM shirt! BTW, was there a sleeve inside with the lyrics originally? Any pictures on the sleeve?

That cover...Good gravy..Mick looks like an Ethiopian child!! DOH! Bleck!

Last edited by wondergirl9847; 08-11-2002 at 07:04 PM..
Old 08-12-2002, 05:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default LP sleeve

Christy, I have the originial sleeve and it's just a plain generic sleeve-no lyrics or pictures on it. For some strange reason, Mystery To Me is the only pre Buckingham/Nicks era Mac album to have the lyrics with the album. And I agree, Mick does look emaciated on the cover.
Old 08-13-2002, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow macfan57...

Thanks much, at least I know I'm not missing anything!!
Old 08-14-2002, 01:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

There is something about the guitar riff in Angel though that get me 'hypnotized'. I have this whole story of a guy a hundred years ago walking to Augusta or Marietta or someplace with a lot of kudzu, or maybe it's his ghost, to see some woman he knows of as Angel and he is hung up on her but there is a lot he doesn't know. Maybe I am the only person stuck on this song, it almost has an unfinished feel to it but maybe that means there is potential?
Old 08-14-2002, 01:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's funny because on the back cover it says Bob Welch - guitar, vocals and vibes. LOL What the heck? Vibes...what kind of vibes?
I've always thought of it as Bob Welch played "vibraphone", which is audible on a couple of songs ("Born Enchanter" being the most obvious)...but, now after all these years and knowing MORE of the scoop behind all the crap the band was putting up with at the time and how DEEPLY Welch was involved with keeping the band together and such, "vibes" takes on a double meaning...as it was HIS energy that made the album happen.