The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

And the Rolling Stones made sure that Ian Stewart got inducted, too.

http://rockhall.com/inductees/the-rolling-stones/bio/

Clearly, Bob Welch was done an insulting disservice- the band could have ensured that he was inducted. Had the lawsuit not happened, then I'm sure he would have been in.

But there is one countervailing view that amuses me slightly, from the late Bob Weston, in his Q & A , here on the Penguin.

I don't have an opinion on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame thing. Of course it's great to be recognised; who wants to be ignored? (Only the famous, perhaps .) I don't understand the method of selection, or the Hall of Fame's significance. Does one get a wax effigy, like Mme Tussauds?

It's a bit of a Groucho Marx response, I guess.

http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/fwm/inde...110&Itemid=127 it's 3 questions from the bottom of the page.

Last edited by Mr Scarrott; 03-16-2014 at 05:14 PM..
Old 03-16-2014, 05:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just spotted, earlier on in the Q & A, Weston is asked:

7) How do you feel about being omitted from the Fleetwood Mac RRHOF roster?

He replies

Q7: RRHOF: until you mentioned it, I hadn't given it a second thought . Perhaps you should ask Mick Fleetwood. But would he give you an answer?
Old 03-16-2014, 11:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Personally, I think BOTH Bobs must be included. We can discuss if Bob Welch must enter as a FM member or for his solo career or both, but, FM was a big group, and I think that members like Bob Weston and Bob Welch would be included. And we can discuss if Rick Vito and Billy Burnette are on the same situation and if they must be included too...
Regards!
Mark.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Bob and FM mentioned in LA Times article]

KISS guitarist, drummer join list of snubs by rock hall of fame

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...#ixzz2wBumDusO

By Mike Boehm March 16, 2014, 3:45 p.m., Los Angeles Times

Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley of the rock band KISS have long cherished living in aggrieved opposition to critics who they have felt failed to respect Kiss' heavy metal oeuvre, and the band's impending induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame isn’t changing their tune.

Stanley recently complained to the Associated Press that KISS was being given short shrift by the rock hall because two members of the current four-man lineup, lead guitarist Eric Singer and drummer Tommy Thayer, aren’t going to be hall of famers, even though they “have been in the band for decades and played on multiplatinum albums and toured the world.”

Instead, original drummer Peter Criss and original lead guitarist Ace Frehley, who were part of KISS’ 1970s ascension to stardom but exited in the early 1980s, will be inducted along with perennial frontmen Simmons and Stanley.

PHOTOS: Iconic rock guitars and their owners

Stanley groused to the AP that “we have continuing issues with the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, starting with the fact that they chose to induct the original lineup when that’s hardly the case with other bands.”

He cited as an example lyricist Robert Hunter’s inclusion when the Grateful Dead was inducted in 1994. To Stanley, Hunter is “a writer who never played an instrument.” Hunter, who wrote the lyrics for many of the Dead’s songs, especially those composed by Jerry Garcia, always was credited as a band member on the band’s album jackets.

The rock hall hasn’t been a model of consistency when it comes to non-original band members. In the case of the Grateful Dead, for example, its website lists four keyboard players among the inductees: original member Ron “Pigpen” McKernan and his successors, Keith Godchaux, Brent Mydland and Vince Welnick (of whom only Welnick, who died in 2006, lived to see the induction).

On the other hand, when Fleetwood Mac was inducted in 1998, singer-songwriter-guitarist Bob Welch, the first American to join the previously all-British band, and a mainstay of its middle period, was the odd man out. He was excluded, though the rock hall inducted three other former Mac singer-guitarists not named Lindsey Buckingham.

PHOTOS: Daughters of rock stars

“It basically comes down to the fact that they don’t like me anymore,” Welch, who died in 2012, told the Cleveland Plain Dealer around the time of the induction. “I could understand it if I had been a sideman for a year, but I was an integral part of that band.” Welch was a member of Fleetwood Mac for five albums during the early 1970s, including the acclaimed “Bare Trees,” helping to keep the band going until the mid-1970s arrival of Buckingham and Stevie Nicks catapulted it to superstardom.

When the Velvet Underground was inducted by the rock hall in 1996, only the four original members were included. Left out was Doug Yule, who had figured prominently on two of the band’s four canonical studio albums and on “1969: The Velvet Underground Live,” a strong double-LP issued several years after the group had disbanded.

Stanley told the Los Angeles Times recently that the impasse over not including Singer and Thayer meant that KISS would not perform at the coming induction ceremony. Elaborating in his interview with the AP, he said that the rock hall “tried to strong-arm us into playing in [the] original lineup. Their craving of nostalgia or for wanting to have us play by their rules in many ways jeopardizes what we have spent 40 years building…. Very clearly the tail doesn’t wag the dog, and KISS is a big dog, and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a small tail.”

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...#ixzz2wButhglE
Old 03-16-2014, 11:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking

I liked Cat Stevens' music but Rock & Roll he's never been. Really... the so-called Hall Of Fame is to do with sales past, present and hoped for. For some Reason Bob Welch got on the wrong side of that, just like Bob Weston got on the wrong side of Mick Fleetwood (by getting on the right side of Jenny Boyd) and was kicked out after two albums... not even he would've said he should be included... Bob Brunning would've been more likely.

Doug Yule should have been included, great musician and person, I guess that makes him the Bob Welch of the Velvets. Maybe it was that Squeeze album without Lou? That is unforgivable though I'm not sure it was Doug's idea ever to call it a Velvet Underground album, although back then the group and it's name were barely revered by many.

That Hall (which is not Bob Hall) and it's secret masters/stakeholders mean squat to me.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
That is unforgivable though I'm not sure it was Doug's idea ever to call it a Velvet Underground album
Yup, that was all Sesnick.

John
Old 03-17-2014, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Still...I'm tempted from the fruit of another.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-17-2014, 09:50 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Reason Bob is not in the RRHOF

I know for a fact the reason that Bob Welch was not inducted in the RRHOF Mick called me the day that Bob died before his body even left the house and I refused to talk to him unless he told me why. He said "It was Christine McVie" and I put my friend on the phone with Mick, Mike Lawson, who was there with me as the police were still in my home. She refused to go on stage if he was inducted. It was NOT the RRHOF, but Fleetwood Mac, John, Mick and Chris who kept him out. Mick would not stand up to Christine. She did it vindictively because she was going to show him that he couldn't do what she felt was unjust to her. and I have letters and other statements to prove her vindictiveness then and now. They sounded great together, but she was always jealous that he sold more solo albums than she did, and was angry with him for other unaceptable reasons. I saw that in her at dinner one night. She was a very jealous and non-loyal person, I feel. Very
Sincerely the Truth!!! Mike Lawson is on facebook and you can ask him yourself. He is extremely honorable and reputable as you will see if you care to look.

Also, thank you for finally talking about this. It still can be changed and Bob wanted this Very Much! Welcome Chris, thank you, but one correction, Bob was in the band for five years, not three, and Christine just joined the band the year before. He wrote and sang 1/2 the songs on five albums and played guitar and sang backup on all the songs on those five albums. What's wrong with this picture?

Last edited by Wendy Welch; 03-17-2014 at 10:06 PM..
Old 03-18-2014, 12:16 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Call on Mick re: the RRHOF

Please fight for Bob and sign the papers to get him inducted and write Mick most of all. He doesn't want to be disliked for this, but he was the crucial person. After all, he told me, "it's not a matter of if, but when Bob is inducted. I do own the name Fleetwood Mac." So what has he done. Please ask him.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Welch View Post
but one correction, Bob was in the band for five years, not three, and Christine just joined the band the year before. He wrote and sang 1/2 the songs on five albums and played guitar and sang backup on all the songs on those five albums. What's wrong with this picture?
Sorry Wendy, but Bob was only in Fleetwood Mac from summer 1971 through December 31, 1974. That's 3.5 years by my math. He did not sing 1/2 the songs on all of the albums he was on. It wasn't until Mystery To Me that he became the primary writer, and even then, Christine still had four songs on the albums. Also, I don't understand why Christine joining the band a year before (although, she'd been playing with them in the studio since 1968) is less important. They could have easily done a record with that band just based on what they were playing at that time, that got nixed after Jeremy quit. Christine's presence was in full force when Bob joined.

Did Bob get screwed in 1998? Yep. Will having him inducted now change anything? Nope. Realistically, if he gets inducted, he won't even get mentioned. They'd just silently tag him on to Fleetwood Mac. At this point, that's a fool's errand. If you want to fight for Bob's legacy, get his era's songs on iTunes and insist on keeping his legacy alive within Fleetwood Mac. People won't and don't care about the Hall. Hell, many of the inductees don't care about the Hall. The most important thing to focus on is Bob's body of work.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-18-2014, 09:42 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Bob did write 1/2 songs

Excuse me, but Bob did write or co write 1/2 the songs on the five albums he recorded with FM. The last one in 1975. Heroes are Hard to Find had 7 of the 10 songs written by him, two on the first, and the rest on the three inbetween albums. I did not say that he wrote 1/2 the songs on each album, just on the total number of cuts on all five albums. He did sing them as well. Let's not minimize his credentials.

Plus I am not fighting to get Bob in for your approval or your desire, but only because he card about it so much and was very hurt when he was left out. I don't really care about anyone else's opinion. But after 27 years of marriage, I KNOW what HE cared about.

Also, you might be interested to know that all of those albums are gold or platinum now. He was awarded Rock Radio Award for best new debut album of the year and Billboard Award for best new artist of the year in 1978 for his first solo album French Kiss. I have both of those awards in my case and multiple gold and platinum albums on my wall.

Also, I might add that I just received over 30 personal messages and posts from Bob Welch friends and fans saying they couldn't get accepted on this site. Please tell me why that would be? By the way, I have the original copyrights of the songs on that first album with the manager prior to Steve's date, and also Bob writes about when he came to London after Judy Wont brought his name up to the band and it was in the winter and he was having to put coins in the heater in his apartment every few hours to keep warm before moving to Benifold. What are your credentials anyway? Feel free to contact me in a private message on my Facebook page. Wendy Welch.1232 and we'll talk privately. I don't use a pseudonym, and I have Bob's personal writings which I might quote to you. Were you around or alive then or did you know Bob or any of the other Mac people? I would be curious. Because you are very misinformed. Just like you said, Christine played with them in the studio, you are also misinformed about when Bob was called to be in the band or decided to leave.

Last edited by Wendy Welch; 03-19-2014 at 12:06 AM..
Old 03-19-2014, 12:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Also, I might add that I just received over 30 personal messages and posts from Bob Welch friends and fans saying they couldn't get accepted on this site. Please tell me why that would be?
I know that you can't join this site with a hotmail, gmail or other such emails. Plus you can only have one account here and I know Michele does look at IP Addresses. Pretty sure Michele isn't part of a greater anti-Bob Welch conspiracy.

Plus there is no point in those people coming here and telling us how great Bob was and how unfairly he has been treated. You are generally preaching to the converted here. I have all the FM albums with Bob on it, I have all the solo albums, Head West, Paris etc. (Still holding out hope for the elusive Seven Souls album but that's another issue for another day). You don't need to tell me (and plenty of others here) that Bob was a great talent.

As for why the Bob era albums aren't on iTunes, I would imagine that if Mick Fleetwood thought he could make money out of them being on there he would be pushing for it.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:07 AM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

Also, I might add that I just received over 30 personal messages and posts from Bob Welch friends and fans saying they couldn't get accepted on this site. Please tell me why that would be? By the way, I have the original copyrights of the songs on that first album with the manager prior to Steve's date, and also Bob writes about when he came to London after Judy Wont brought his name up to the band and it was in the winter and he was having to put coins in the heater in his apartment every few hours to keep warm before moving to Benifold. What are your credentials anyway? Feel free to contact me in a private message on my Facebook page. Wendy Welch.1232 and we'll talk privately. I don't use a pseudonym, and I have Bob's personal writings which I might quote to you. Were you around or alive then or did you know Bob or any of the other Mac people? I would be curious. Because you are very misinformed. Just like you said, Christine played with them in the studio, you are also misinformed about when Bob was called to be in the band or decided to leave.
Whole lotta stream of consciousness happening there. Wendy... look... there is absolutely no reason whatsoever as to why anyone shouldn't be able to join this site. We do not pre-screen members here. Occasionally old troublesome members return, or new members sign up with multiple user names, and we know that by their email addresses, IP locations, etc. But to say 30 people "tried to join and couldn't" and imply that there's some conspiracy here is absolute lunacy. I mean it Wendy; lunacy. It's something you've cooked up inside your own mind, or someone else has and you've chosen to put stock in, and I hate it for you because you're believing in an absolute falsehood. How would we know if someone was a Bob Welch friend or fan prior to them entering information to join the forum? And even if we did hold something against them for that reason, why deny them access to this forum? It makes no sense. We have neither the man (or woman) power, let alone the most remote of desires to conduct such behaviour. So please, I am truly being sincere when I ask that you do us as a community (and yourself) the courtesy of moving forward by ending such insinuations. SteveMacD made a great suggestion about getting Bob's work on iTunes and making the focus about his music again. Better words on the matter haven't been spoken.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I am FB friends with Wendy, and I will just say that I HAVE seen several people say that they tried to join the Ledge, but never got approved. And it was more than just a couple of people. Just saying...
Old 03-19-2014, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

How would I even know if someone was a Bob Welch fan in order to deny them access to the site? Unless they had a user name like Welchlover, I would have no clue and I honestly have no interest in excluding them.

If I was going to conspire with Mick or the band to do something, it wouldn't be related to Bob Welch!

The truth is, the website isn't big enough to change or influence anything one way or another, so even if it was converted into a full time campaign to have Bob inducted, it would hardly make any difference to the RRHOF or to FM. There is no incentive to conspire to do anything.

Yes, people are blocked from the site for having multiple user ids, for spamming or because they never respond to verification emails, but not for any reasons having
to do with Bob Welch.

Michele