Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Heart Let's show some love for Penguin and Heroes!

So I know a lot of Mac fans view these as the ugly ducklings/red headed step children of the Mac bloodline... but I've always really enjoyed these two albums. Christine's material in particular is fantastic in my opinion... Did You Ever Love Me, Remember Me, Dissatisfied, Come A Little Bit Closer, Prove Your Love... the list goes on and on. Some of her best material, in my opinion. I think Prove Your Love is perhaps Christine's most underrated song... LOVE that one. Almost charting into Stevie Nicks-style ethereal territory. I adore Bob's contributions to these two albums as well... he was really starting to get far out in his love of mysticism and philosophy... but I think he's just terrific! I think there's a plentitude of very high quality, very intelligent pop music on these two albums. They have their blemishes, yes, but they almost serve as character to me instead of detriment. I can't help it, I just plain enjoy these two albums... how about y'all?
Old 03-30-2010, 06:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ah yes the Derelict! Best damn song ever from Fleetwood Mac with maybe the exception of Rhiannon.

EDIT: Interesting that you aren't showing any love for Mystery to Me
Old 03-30-2010, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post

EDIT: Interesting that you aren't showing any love for Mystery to Me
Mystery To Me is very well respected in the Mac community (especially by myself... on a song by song basis, it's perhaps the strongest Mac album of them all). I thought it'd be nice to show some love to the lesser appreciated chapters of the Mac story.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I love the Heroes Are Hard To Find album. Penguin has its good parts and bad. All of Christine's songs on Penguin are good. I think Heroes is the better album. My favorite Christine song of all time is 'Prove Your Love'.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Mystery To Me is very well respected in the Mac community (especially by myself... on a song by song basis, it's perhaps the strongest Mac album of them all). I thought it'd be nice to show some love to the lesser appreciated chapters of the Mac story.
It's not your fault louie..., Fleetwood Mac is a lot like the band Chicago, only more intrenched. While Chicago was slowly drifting towards pop music while supreme guitarist Terry Kath was alive, they really fell off the cliff when Kath accidentally killed himself in 1978. It wasn't long after that Chicago became unlistenable.

Mick Fleetwood would've followed Peter Green into the Sun (except when it came to money), that's how good the original FM band was. Peter Green left at the worst possible time for the band's growth. They would've shared rock stardom with Led Zeppelin, The Who, the Rolling Stones, The Allmans, and The Dead. As long as Danny Kirwan was in the band, FM still had that "it".

While Mick Fleetwood took the money route, and has had financial success beyond his dreams (ala ABBA), he didn't create "The Mick Fleetwood Blues Band" to make more cash. Mick Fleetwood misses Peter Green.

Last edited by slipkid; 03-31-2010 at 12:17 AM.. Reason: Lindsey Buckingham, and Mark Knopfler should record together.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm surprised Heroes Are Hard To Find isn't well respected! I mean, that's really surprising to me! With the exception of "She's Changing Me", this is a very creative album, much like... well, all of the FM albums I've heard so far, actually!
As for Penguin... well, I haven't heard it yet! But I ordered it at JB Hi-Fi, so it should arrive soon... anyway, I love "Did You Ever Love Me" (I own SF25YTC)! If most of the other songs on Penguin are of that quality, I'd be hard pressed not to love it!
NB. Not necessarily in that order...
Old 03-31-2010, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
As for Penguin... well, I haven't heard it yet! But I ordered it at JB Hi-Fi, so it should arrive soon... anyway, I love "Did You Ever Love Me" (I own SF25YTC)! If most of the other songs on Penguin are of that quality, I'd be hard pressed not to love it!
Well, Penguin has two major turds on it... perhaps two of the worst Mac songs ever: I'm A Roadrunner and The Derelict. I mean they're really bad... and placed smack in the middle of the running order... so I think that sours the overwhelming majority of people to this album. But I personally still really love Penguin. It captures such a moment in time of the band... such a feeling out/transitional phase. To me, albums like Penguin and Heroes are actually far more interesting listens than the self titled Mac album of '75... which is very middle of the road/adult contemporary. The '73-'74 Mac albums may have their warts, but they're ripe with character and personality in my book!
Old 03-31-2010, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love the Pengun. And I love The Derelict! It's so heartfelt, I don't know why people don't like it. Now, I hate Roadrunner a lot, but I think The Derelict is a really great song.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Derelict and Roadrunner (great song, fine cover) do not sound like Welch och Rumours-era Mac, that's must be the reason most fans dislike them. I think they're great - but McVie and Welch are responsible for some great turds on this uninspired, very transitional album. Highlight is of course Greeny's playing on Nightwatch .

Last edited by dino; 03-31-2010 at 03:53 PM..
Old 03-31-2010, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
The Derelict and Roadrunner (great song, fine cover) do not sound like Welch och Rumours-era Mac, that's must be the reason most fans dislike them. I think they're great - but McVie and Welch are responsible for some great turds on this uninspired, very transitional album. Highlight is of course Greeny's playing on Nightwatch .
The reason I don't like them is that Dave Walker can't sing.......
Old 04-01-2010, 01:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
The reason I don't like them is that Dave Walker can't sing.......
Sure he can, he has a nice blues voice.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
Sure he can, he has a nice blues voice.
Maybe it's just me Not everyone is going to like the same voice.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Saw this thread and just had to get in on it. These are two of my least favourite Mac albums. I would agree that Christine's material stands out above the rest. Bob Welch's stuff is not bad, but as I've said multiple times before (Chriskisn can vouch for me!!), I just cannot stand Roadrunner and The Derelict Those have to be 2 of the worst songs FM ever recorded, bar none!!!! They are just awful!!! Not in keeping with any of FM's previous material and don't really fit in the "transition period" either. Just terrible. I've heard other versions of Roadrunner and those have been good, but this one is just terrible.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree wholeheartedly slipkid. Mick is pursuing the MFBB because of a love for that era of the band and a desire to recapture that time. Mick loves Peter and would probably cut off his right arm if he thought it would bring Peter back to play with him. At least that's how I see it. My personal dream is to have Peter play with Rick, and get John to sit in on bass, but that dream I'm afraid will remain so always, just a dream.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Arrrggggh...I can't take all this anti-Dave Walker stuff...I swear that if the boys in his current band can get him on the net I'm going to try to drag him into this forum to defend himself.

The man is brilliant, he oozes talent, raw, rockin' smokin' talent!

now if only there was an emoticon for sitting in the corner crying uncontrollably I'd use it.