Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-11-2006, 06:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 1973

I know alot of people talk about 1975 and 1977 being big years in Fleetwood Mac's history, but to me 1973 is a big year also. I mean they released 2 albums and had the Fake Fleetwood Mac thing hit at the end of the year. I was wondering, how did they manage to record two albums in the span of 6 months. If memory serves me right, Penguin was released in april or so and Mystery to me was in September. ANd also I believe Bare Trees was releaed in September of the previous year, so they were really crankin out the music in that years time. Just like to get peoples thoughts. Thank you.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
I know alot of people talk about 1975 and 1977 being big years in Fleetwood Mac's history, but to me 1973 is a big year also. I mean they released 2 albums and had the Fake Fleetwood Mac thing hit at the end of the year. I was wondering, how did they manage to record two albums in the span of 6 months. If memory serves me right, Penguin was released in april or so and Mystery to me was in September. ANd also I believe Bare Trees was releaed in September of the previous year, so they were really crankin out the music in that years time. Just like to get peoples thoughts. Thank you.
I agree, David, 1973 was a big year for Fleetwood Mac, and could have been even bigger if the band hadn't semi-imploded and the tour been cancelled. Mystery to Me was really gaining momentum, and if they'd kept touring behind it and promoting it, it might have been a really big album.

As for the fast-paced recording, that was just the norm for the band in those days. I bet if you had told Chris, Mick and John in 1973 that five years later they'd be spending more than a year and more than a million recording a new Fleetwood Mac album, they'd have laughed in your face. They were a struggling band going through a lot of line-up changes. They needed to get new product out there to promote whatever the latest incarnation of the band was. Bare Trees was recorded in just two weeks, I think, although I don't recall if that was the first sessions or the second, after the master reels were lost/stolen.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like to think that MTM might've been HUGE, had Weston kept it in his pants, OR Mick have realized what a great album it was, and kept the band on the road.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
I like to think that MTM might've been HUGE, had Weston kept it in his pants, OR Mick have realized what a great album it was, and kept the band on the road.
I agree! I really, really like MTM. It's rare that I find an album I can listen to all the way through without skipping over a track or two, but I make an exception for this one. I likes me some Welch.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
Ah, but would it have been played on AM radio, which was still Crossover King in 1973?

Remember, this was a time when young teenagers were listening to 92-KHJ play "One Tin Soldier" every afternoon precisely at 4 o'clock. I should know because I was on the school bus heading home every afternoon at the time, & the whole bus quieted down for the daily broadcast of "One Tin Soldier," a hook-filled megasuccessful song that AM radio owned.

www.thecolefamily.com/onetinsoldier.htm

moviekinks.blogspot.com

Last edited by David; 01-11-2006 at 07:04 PM..
Old 01-11-2006, 07:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird
I agree! I really, really like MTM. It's rare that I find an album I can listen to all the way through without skipping over a track or two, but I make an exception for this one. I likes me some Welch.
See, now aren't you glad you eventually got the album?
Old 01-11-2006, 07:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
See, now aren't you glad you eventually got the album?
You're never going to let me forget that I bought Wild Heart before it, are you?
Old 01-11-2006, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Ah, but would it have been played on AM radio, which was still Crossover King in 1973?
Maybe, maybe not...but, they were gaining a "mainstream" audience. Had they been able to capitalize on their Midnight Special appearance, the history of Fleetwood Mac from that point on might've been VERY different.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Actually, I think THE most significant year in Fleetwood Mac's history was from May 1970 through May 1971. In that time, they went from Fleetwood/McVie/Green/Spencer/Kirwan to Fleetwood/McVie/McVie/Kirwan/Welch.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-11-2006, 10:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Maybe, maybe not...but, they were gaining a "mainstream" audience. Had they been able to capitalize on their Midnight Special appearance, the history of Fleetwood Mac from that point on might've been VERY different.
SOMEBODY needs to seed the Midnight Special from '73!!

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 01-12-2006, 12:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Was this appearance in '73?
Old 01-12-2006, 12:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You got it. Hypnotized s one of the coolest songs going.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

OMG!

Does someone HAVE the 1973 Midnight Special performance...

Well, for the love of GOD if you do...POST IT!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-12-2006, 03:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwn_eyes0511
OMG!

Does someone HAVE the 1973 Midnight Special performance...

Well, for the love of GOD if you do...POST IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Abso-freakin-lutely! I'd love to hear this, too. Does anyone have it?
Old 01-12-2006, 06:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You're never going to let me forget that I bought Wild Heart before it, are you?
No.