Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-14-2002, 08:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation The Collection

OK Ledgies I need your help. I obviously started my FM fandom with the Rumours line-up and then I went back from there, came to the Bob Welch era, and then found Peter Green. And then some friend sent me a burnt copy of "The Collection" CD (you can see it here). But it has no credits... I've been searching for composer credits, producer credits (don't have any), lead vocalist (yes, I know, a shame, but sometimes I can't even recognize the lead vocalist ) and album/recording dates (or where do the songs come from, for that matter), and this is what I've come up with:

1. Shake Your Moneymaker
(Elmore James)
Album: Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac (1968)
Lead vocals: Jeremy

2. Long Grey Mare
(Peter Green)
Lead vocals: Peter

3. I Loved Another Woman
(Peter Green)

4. Got To Move
(Homesick James Williamson)
Album: Peter Green's Fleetwood mac (1968)
Lead vocals: Jeremy (?)

5. Black Magic Woman
(Peter Green)
Album: English Rose (1968)

6. Need Your Love So Bad
(Little Willie John)
Album: Pious Bird Of Good Omen (1969)
Lead vocals: ????

7. Doctor Brown
(B.Brown)
Album: Mr.Wonderful (1968)

8. Love That Burns
(Peter Green)

9. Lazy Poker Blues
(Peter Green/??????? Adams)
Lead vocals: Peter (????)

10. Drifting
(Peter Green)
Album: ???????????

11. Fleetwood Mac
(??????????)
Album: ??????????
Yes, it's an instrumental, I know

12. Love That Woman
(Danny Kirwan)
Album: ??????????
Lead vocals: I'll take a guess and say Danny

13. I've Lost My Baby
(Jeremy Spencer)
Lead vocals: Jeremy

14. Man Of The World
(Peter Green)
Album: no idea

15. Someone's Gonna Get Their Head Kicked In Tonight
(it's a cover -- but who wrote it?)
Lead vocals: Jeremy (it's his style... just guessing)

16. Watch Out
(Peter Green)

17. Homework
(Perkins/Clark/Rush)

18. Rockin' Boogie
(Jeremy Spencer ???)
(Is this the same as Evenin' Boogie that's mis-listed or something?)

19. Jigsaw Puzzle Blues
(Danny Kirwan)
Album: English Rose (1969)
Instrumental

20. Albatross
(Peter Green)
Album: English Rose (1969)
Instrumental

OK, please please please. Any additional info, any info to "fill in the blanks" (or the interrogation marks for that matter), any mistake, any album or single in which a track appeared previously, please let me know. I am dying to get this CD proper liner notes...

Thank you Ledgies.

Song of the moment - Love Shines
Old 12-16-2002, 08:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile Cristian

OK, let's see, here's correctioins/additions per track number:

4. Yes, JS vocal

5. Not really from "English rose" as it was a single originally and as the American label guys didn't want to put out "Mr. Wonderful" as is (for whatever reason), to compile the ER album they simply took 6 of the 12 MW tracks and added "Black magic woman", "Albatross" & "Jigsaw puzzle blues" (which had already surfaced on singles) and 3 newly recorded songs with the (then) new guitarist in the band, Danny Kirwan (and these three of course being "One sunny day", "Without you" & "Something inside of me" which most likely were recorded at the same session that gave us "Albatross" & "Jigsaw puzzle blues").

6. PG vocals, not from an album really as NYLSB was already out as a single on it's own and the PBOGO album was a highly disguised compilation album as Blue Horizon were trying to make it appear as though it was FM's third album (since there was bad blood at the time between BH and Clifford Davis who had eventually got the Mac signed to Warner/Reprise for the ACTUAL third album (which of course turned out to be "Then play on") and currently (at the time) took the Mac off to Immediate which was the label that had put out the "Man of the world" single more of which later).

7. JS vocal

9. Yes it was PG vocals, the song is credited as being written by Peter with "C.G. Adams" who is Clifford Adams (the real name of Clifford Davis, he had to change his professional name due to being confused with the Clifford Adams singers (who were well known in Britain then by all accounts). It's debateable as to whether Davis actually took part in the writing of any of the songs on which he is credited as "co-writer" but this (according to Mick) is one of many of a series of papers of which the various members of FM were "asked" to sign "while drunk on airplanes", not realizing that they were signing (or in this case, co-signing) away various important things (such as songwriting rights, etc.).

10. From the "The original Fleetwood Mac" album.

11. Technically this has fallen down to being a PG composition but this (by MOST accounts) is the recording that was made while PG, JM & MF were in the Bluesbreakers and was cut without Mayall and PG titled it "Fleetwood Mac" since John & Mick were playing on it. (though I've heard some reports suggesting that it may have been from a Mayall session with Aynsley Dunbar on drums). Whatever the case, it ended up being released on the "The original Fleetwood Mac" album.

12. No it is NOT DK singing, it is JS. The writing credit goes to "L. Leake". I'm not quite sure who that is or if it was one of Jeremy's many interesting writing credits that he had given to various (possibly non existant?) people over the years?! This is from the "The original Fleetwood Mac" album.

14. Not from an album really as this was originally released as a single on Immediate records (their only release as a band on the label) and has shown up on many compilation albums ever since (such as this) over the years.

15. JS is credited as the writer of this song on the CD. This was not from an album really as it was the B-side to the "Man of the world" single (see explanation in number 14 for more details) and yes, JS sings it.

16. From the "The original Fleetwood Mac" album.

17. PG sang, from the "In Chicago" album (this album was also released as "Blues jam at Chess" and various similar banners).

18. Yes JS wrote, no it's a different (and IMO better!) song (than "Evenin' boogie" from MW). RB is from the "In Chicago" album (once again see number 17 above for more details).

19. Not from an album really (see number 5 explanation for more info) B-side of "Albatross" single.

20. Not from an album really as it was origianlly the A-side of a single (see number 5 listing from more data on this).

I'll attach a scan of the back of "The collection" CD (in the next post as it is too big for this post apparently) so you can see the credits for yourself if it's of any help (though you should ignore those "1973" dates as they are obviously referring to reissues of the original albums when they say those dates etc.)

Any questions let me know.

John
Old 12-16-2002, 09:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile Scan

OK, here it is, it wouldn't let me do the whole back as it said the file was too big so here's the section of the back which has the song listing and writing credits etc. Hope this helps.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg backcollection.jpg (48.1 KB, 32 views)
Old 12-16-2002, 11:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
and 3 newly recorded songs with the (then) new guitarist in the band, Danny Kirwan (and these three of course being "One sunny day", "Without you" & "Something inside of me" which most likely were recorded at the same session that gave us "Albatross" & "Jigsaw puzzle blues").

"One Sunny Day" & "Without You" were originally released on the initial pressings of the UK version of "Then Play On", then dropped and replaced by "Oh Well" on subsequent pressings. I don't think they were recorded in the same session as "Albatross" & "Jigsaw Puzzle Blues".
Old 12-16-2002, 11:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you very very very much... I am downloading and printing out all of the info right now. Thanks for the contributions, again. Very appreciated.

Song of the moment - I Loved Another Woman
Old 12-16-2002, 11:58 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default Re: Cristian

Quote:
Originally posted by wetcamelfood
OK, let's see, here's correctioins/additions per track number:

12. No it is NOT DK singing, it is JS. The writing credit goes to "L. Leake". I'm not quite sure who that is or if it was one of Jeremy's many interesting writing credits that he had given to various (possibly non existant?) people over the years?! This is from the "The original Fleetwood Mac" album.

Lafaytte Leake played piano with Chuck Berry on many of his Chess tracks.
Old 12-16-2002, 12:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From his bio:

b. 1 June 1920, Wynomie, Mississippi, USA, d. 14 August 1990, Chicago, Illinois, USA. Lafayette Leake was a blues pianist whose prime contribution was his collaboration with Chess Records producer Willie Dixon. After moving to Chicago, Leake first worked with Dixon in 1951, replacing Leonard "Baby Doo" Caston in Dixon's group the Big Three Trio. Leake performed on many Chess sessions during the 50s and 60s, playing on recordings by Howlin' Wolf, Chuck Berry, Sonny Boy "Rice Miller" Williamson, Bo Diddley, Junior Wells and Otis Rush. Leake joined Dixon's Chicago Blues All Stars, appearing on the 1969 I Am The Blues. He also recorded for the Cobra, Ovation and Spivey labels. Leake died after suffering a diabetic coma

Last edited by chiliD; 12-16-2002 at 12:13 PM..
Old 12-16-2002, 12:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Dugan/ChiliD: Thanks for the info on Leake, that one was always a mystery to me!

ChiliD: Oh I forgot about the way in which those 3 tunes were released in the UK (on the original pressings of TPO). I wasn't sure on the "first FM DK sessions" deal as I had noticed that the liner notes in the "Complete Blue Horizons sessions" box set said that SIOM, WY, OSD along with "Albatross" & JPB (in addition to the box set only version of "Coming your way") (and probably others too but this was all I had time to look up on this matter for now) were credited as being done on October 6, 1968 in the CBS Studios on New Bond Street in London, but there probably is a more reliable source for this info somewhere (I have the UK version of the CBHS box so maybe my book is different to the US booklet as I see that the US version is in a long box while the UK version is cropped down to (just about) the size of the CD slipcases so they all barely fit in). That's the problem with being a Mac fan, there's so many contradictions in the documents that you never know which source to go by!

Cristian: You're welcome!

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 12-16-2002 at 03:01 PM..
Old 12-17-2002, 01:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That's the problem with being a Mac fan, there's so many contradictions in the documents that you never know which source to go by!
And, the most unreliable thing is the spelling of Danny's last name!!! Even on supposedly "OFFICIAL" releases, it comes up in many forms:

Kirwin
Kerwan
Kerwin
Kerwen

It's KIRWAN!!