Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-20-2002, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question Is this a bootleg or "legal" CD?

I just found a copy of the 1994 German CD entitled "The Original Fleetwood Mac Blues Band" (not to be confused with the Blue Horizon OFM studio outtakes compilation) on the Eagle label (catalog number EA-R90601 B) which includes live recordings of the Fillmore West January 4, 1970 FM show. Now, the page for it at the Penguin Discography lists it as "Import CD" and it has the same cover etc. and all of the tracks listed on that page are on this CD (except it does NOT have "Long tall Sally" which is listed in the tracklisting on that page) and a (great) book I just got called "Blues rock explosion" refers to it as a "foreign release" but being the stickler for not trying to have any boots as such in my collection, I guess I just wanna hear some others thoughts on whether this is deemed as an "above board" release or not. I guess I should copy this over to the Peter Green board to see if Mario knows too huh? So, I'll go and do that now. I look forward to hearing some thoughts on this from some of you soon. Thanks in advance!

John
Old 11-20-2002, 04:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hey, John.

I have that CD, except the catalogue number doesn't have a "B" at the end, and it INCLUDES "Long Tall Sally".

I've always considered it a "legit" release...although, the reference to both Danny KERWIN in one part of the liner notes and Danny KIRWIN in another (nowhere in the text do they spell his name correctly); as well as slide guitar by JeremEy Spencer, put some doubt in my mind...but then some official releases, supposedly endorsed by Mick, misspell Danny's surname, as well.

So, I would say this one sort of falls in that gray area between "official" & "bootleg". Sort of a "legit" release that is not endorsed by the band. (I think that Clifford Davis must've owned the tapes and released them...in a similar way to Dinky Dawson releasing the "Shrine '69" album, except Dinky had Mick's blessings.
Old 11-20-2002, 05:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
Hey, John.

I have that CD, except the catalogue number doesn't have a "B" at the end, and it INCLUDES "Long Tall Sally".

I've always considered it a "legit" release...although, the reference to both Danny KERWIN in one part of the liner notes and Danny KIRWIN in another (nowhere in the text do they spell his name correctly); as well as slide guitar by JeremEy Spencer, put some doubt in my mind...but then some official releases, supposedly endorsed by Mick, misspell Danny's surname, as well.

So, I would say this one sort of falls in that gray area between "official" & "bootleg". Sort of a "legit" release that is not endorsed by the band. (I think that Clifford Davis must've owned the tapes and released them...in a similar way to Dinky Dawson releasing the "Shrine '69" album, except Dinky had Mick's blessings.
Hey ChiliD! Thanks for the info, it's cool with me that it was "blessed" by SOMEONE of a legal nature, that's all it takes for me to consider it "fair game", Eh, I don't care about Mick's blessing!

HA! Yeah, I saw the mispellings, I know what you mean about how even "definite legal releases" still have spelling mistakes. I think the CD copy of "Mr. Wonderful" that I have tries to be overly meticulous as they even go so far as to state that Peter Green's middle initial is "S"! Don't know where they got that from, I don't know how they can mix up S & A ("A" of course it what it should be)!

Shame though that this version I found doesn't have LTS though, I would have liked to have heard what they woulda done with THAT tune, if the other Tea Party Little Richard covers are anything to go by! Ah well, the completest that I am, I gotta go find that FULL version of the CD now!

Any ideas anyone on where I might find the FULL version of this CD? (and yes, I just checked ebay and it's not there)

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 11-21-2002 at 07:55 AM..
Old 11-28-2002, 09:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've noticed that there are a lot of CDs of rare and hard to find recordings coming from Germany (and Italy and Holland, but mostly Germany) and they seem to be legal, it's just that the fees for European rights on many things is about a tenth what it is for North American rights as it's seen by majot labels as a secondary market for most things. These CDs usually state 'not for distrubtion outside the EU' now. Ones from Russia seem to be bootlegs with no payment to any copyright holders. There are many small labels making things available on CD that have not been before, or doing exhaustively complete collectors sets from say the Sun catalog. I think they do get a large share of their profits from outside continental Europe though.