User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-14-2002, 12:47 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Penguin???

What do you all think of this album?...

Last edited by thewhitewingedd; 01-18-2007 at 05:45 PM..
Old 08-14-2002, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's kind of funny in a way, when I first got the album (about a day or two after it was released), my favorite cut was "Roadrunner"...now the entire rest of the album I think is great and that cut stinks. I now program around it.

Christine's tunes on here are fantastic. Signs of what was to come from her. I can imagine the "Rumours" lineup doing all three of Chris' tunes in concert with the killer Stevie & Lindsey harmonies. It's really amazing that neither "Remember Me" nor "Dissatisfied" were "hits".

Welch's tunes are really cool...definitely he'd come into his own as a songwriter since "Bare Trees". "Revelation" & "Night Watch" especially. "Bright Fire" is a bit weak, but still an improvement over "The Ghost"

Dave Walker's "The Derelict" sounds alot better NOW than it did nearly 30 years ago. Not a bad contribution considering his short tenure in the band.

And, it was nice to hear Peter Green's guitar again on "Night Watch".
Old 08-14-2002, 01:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it is a transition album and I think any would admit it is a bit thin compared to Mystery To Me or Future Games. I kind of find the Dave Walker stuff interesting, especially The Derelict; kind of the last attempt at something earthy maybe?

Did You Ever Love Me is just an all time great song, if just for this I would have to have it.
Old 08-14-2002, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Penguin is the weakest of the Bob Welch era Fleetwood Mac albums. I agree that Christine's 3 songs are terrific, especially Did You Ever Love Me. I think Chris and Bob Weston blend together very well. Bob Welch's songs are OK, but not as good as on Mystery To Me. I just can't stand both of Dave Walker's songs. In my opinion, they seem out of place on the album. He seemed out of place in the band. Caught In The Rain is a nice instrumental, though. Overall, the album is still definitely worth having, for Christine's songs alone.
Old 08-14-2002, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Bob Welch's songs are OK, but not as good as on Mystery To Me
From most fan's perspective, I would say that's true, due to the fact about 90% of FMac fans are discovering these albums in retrospect. For the small minority who were already fans when "Penguin" was released, there wasn't a "Mystery To Me" to compare it to; Welch's tunes were a vast improvement over his only two contributions to "Bare Trees"...and who knew that there was going to be a better album next time around?
Old 08-16-2002, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Penguin I remember seeing when it was new, the cover was neat because you saw the back of the Penguin on the other side so it kind of stood out, but since I got one I can't say I remember hearing any of the songs really, same with Heroes and Mystery To Me. We did have Then Play On around before the white album though, but the Bob Welch era has been like this lost era to me and yet we had French Kiss and Three Hearts and Man Overboard.
Old 08-16-2002, 03:57 PM
thewhitewingedd
This message has been deleted by thewhitewingedd.