Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-27-2002, 01:46 PM
Junior Ledgie

Question say you love me

All Fleetwood Mac discography or lyric pages I've found credit Christine McVie with writing this song yet sites for the Canadian songwriter/musician Shirley Eikhard credit her for penning this piece. Does anyone know the answer to this? Eikhard has written songs for other artists in the past most notably Bonnie Raitt's "Something to Talk About".
Old 04-27-2002, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question Say You Love Me......

Perhaps it was a "different" "Say You Love Me". Christine McVie definitely wrote a song with this title with Fleetwood Mac back in 1975.

Joe
Old 04-28-2002, 11:06 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default the same "say you love me"

No, by all indications everyone is talking about the same "Say You Love Me" song. Was it a possible collaboration without public or official credit given to Eikhard? Is ot possible that Fleetwood Mac felt the guitar changes/additions they made gave them the right to leave Eikhard out of the credits? Below are some quotes from Eikhard related articles on the web, read them here or visit the sites for yourselves. Does anyone know the answer on this one?

This week in 1976, Fleetwood Mac’s self-titled album hit number 1 after being on the charts for over a year. Songs such as Over My Head and Rhiannon helped the album reach the 5 million mark in sales in the U.S. alone. And after group members heard a cover of Say You Love Me by Canadian artist, Shirley Eikhard, the band added a splash of guitar to their own version and released it as a single. It would go on to be the best charting song from the album.

http://www.rocknrollvault.com/09020908.htm

By the mid-70's she was scooped up by Attic Records and she had her first legitimate solo hit with "Say You Love Me" in 1976. The same year, Fleetwood Mac would also send the song to the top of the charts with their 'Fleetwood Mac' album.

http://acmi.canoe.ca/JamMusicPopEncy...E/eikhard.html

So if Eikhard's recently released ninth studio album -- and her second collection of jazz -- gets a little bit more attention because of that, good for her.

Don't forget that this respected singer-songwriter has done better penning tunes for other acts, like Fleetwood Mac (Say You Love Me) and Bonnie Raitt (the Grammy-winning Something To Talk About, while failing to really strike gold on her own.

http://www.canoe.ca/JamAlbumsE/eikha...asthurrah.html

Old 04-28-2002, 11:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Question Say You Love Me

Christine is the only one who gets writing credits on the album this song was released on with Fleetwood Mac....no mention of Eikhard at all. I would think that she would have to get credit if she wrote the song, unless she didn't have a copyright on it....even then it would be a "ripoff".

Was there any attempt to get royalties from the song by Eikhard?
Any litigation on the matter?

The only song I've ever heard about being plagiarized was Stevie Nicks' song "Sara". That did go to court and it was proven that Nicks did indeed write the song.

Maybe someone else can shed a little light on this.

Joe
Old 05-04-2002, 12:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Say You Love Me

Quote:
Originally posted by jwd
Christine is the only one who gets writing credits on the album this song was released on with Fleetwood Mac....no mention of Eikhard at all. I would think that she would have to get credit if she wrote the song, unless she didn't have a copyright on it....even then it would be a "ripoff".
How bizarre to think that Christine McVie ripped off another songwriter!

Maybe she will rejoin the band -- in order to pay for copyright infringement litigation.
Old 05-04-2002, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Post David...

yes it is hard to believe Christine would ripoff another artist...especially with her talent and abilities. I wasn't saying that SHE DID....just trying to find a logical explanation for the question posed...do you have any?

Joe
Old 05-04-2002, 01:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: David...

Quote:
Originally posted by jwd
yes it is hard to believe Christine would ripoff another artist...especially with her talent and abilities. I wasn't saying that SHE DID....just trying to find a logical explanation for the question posed...do you have any?
Maybe the band settled up with this lady awhile back in exchange for full ownership -- I have absolutely no idea. It's pretty weird. The song's lyrics even sound like Christine McVie; that's her verbal style, except that I've often wondered whether Christine would use the word "woo" in a lyric. Hmmm ... a little old-fashioned maybe for the hip bluesmeister Christine?
Old 05-04-2002, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Do you not read that article the way I read it??? Look again...

This week in 1976, Fleetwood Mac’s self-titled album hit number 1 after being on the charts for over a year. Songs such as Over My Head and Rhiannon helped the album reach the 5 million mark in sales in the U.S. alone. And after group members heard a cover of Say You Love Me by Canadian artist, Shirley Eikhard, the band added a splash of guitar to their own version and released it as a single. It would go on to be the best charting song from the album.

The way I read it is that Shirley did a cover of the FM song and after hearing this cover FM added the splash of guitar to the original and then released it. That is how I read it.

Pip
Old 05-04-2002, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Ahhhh....

Thanks Pip...that DOES make sense. Kind of like a circle of inspiration going on...but the starting point was Chris and the Mac!

I'd like to know more about Eikhard's and FM's connection if there was more to it than just "Say You Love Me".

Joe
Old 05-05-2002, 12:21 AM
Junior Ledgie

If you are to take the Rock Vault article by itself it might sound as though FM heard Eikhard doing a cover version of their own song and were re-inspired by her cover but when you read all the articles together it seems to have been Eikhard's song first. My reading of the Rock Vault article is that FM heard some unnamed artist doing a cover of Eikhard's song and decided to do their own cover. Besides how would Eikhard have been covering a previously unreleased FM song?
Old 05-05-2002, 03:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It says that the album had been in the charts for over a year. She would have heard it on there regardless of whether the song had been released as a single. As far as I am concerned Christine wrote this song. They would give credit if it had been written elsewhere.

Pip
Old 05-08-2002, 04:37 PM
Junior Ledgie

I'm not satisfied. I'm going to try to dig a little deeper and if I find anything I'll let everyone know.
Old 05-15-2002, 08:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy-Rhiannon
Do you not read that article the way I read it??? Look again...

The way I read it is that Shirley did a cover of the FM song and after hearing this cover FM added the splash of guitar to the original and then released it. That is how I read it.

Pip
Pip, you said exactly what I was thinking!!!!!
This is how I read it as well.....

This song is CHRISTINE'S and only Christine's.......

Shirley heard their version, covered it, they heard her version, re-edited the song themselves and released the song (which was already out on the white Fleetwood Mac album for a year) as a single.

Stephanie

He fell for her again...she watched it happen...every day...day by day...but MORE important...NIGHT BY NIGHT!!--Thrown Down