Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-12-2005, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
he had some of the bigger hits
Though I do highly respect LB & all, I found his "biggest hits" were released at the most convenient times:

1. After the 1975 album broke though & everyone was clamouring for the follow up, he got the lead off "Rumours" single (GYOW).

2. After "Rumours" conquered the world, I don't honestly think people generally were particulary crazy about the song "Tusk" but after that kind of massive success they enjoyed with "Rumours", they could've released ANYTHING as the "long awaiting single from the "Rumours" follow up album" & it would've made top 10.

3. Same could be said for "Big love" since MTV embraced the video & the band (at THAT time) & after the "5 years wait, the long awaited comeback single..." (etc.)

Just some thoughts is all.

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 06-12-2005 at 05:58 PM..
Old 06-13-2005, 08:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

GREAT points!
Old 06-13-2005, 04:26 PM
Junior Ledgie

re: People not caring as much about Fleetwood Mac after Peter Green quit.
I'm sure some people became less interested in FM without Peter, but
didn't Kiln House sell a lot more than Then Play On?
Old 06-13-2005, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Glassman
I'm sure some people became less interested in FM without Peter, but
didn't Kiln House sell a lot more than Then Play On?
"a lot more"...no...maybe a "little more". From Then Play On through Mystery To Me they sold a fairly consistent number each album...I think I read somewhere around 250K-300K each.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Glassman
I'm sure some people became less interested in FM without Peter, but didn't Kiln House sell a lot more than Then Play On?
Well, it charted in the top 50 in the US, but I don't know if it actually sold any more copies. Their popularity was gradually building in the US at the time. I don't think too many Americans were really aware of who was in Fleetwood Mac, so Peter's defection wasn't as noticed. Now, they all but fell off the planet in Europe, only selling about 5,000 units in England, where they had been HUGE only a year before.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-13-2005, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The "charting" aspect really depends on who else's albums were released at what point in time. Hypothetically, Kiln House COULD have sold LESS units, yet made the charts because of a slow time of album releases overall, whereas Then Play On could've sold more UNITS yet not reached the charts at all because of the competition releasing albums in a relatively close time frame.

Old 06-13-2005, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
The "charting" aspect really depends on who else's albums were released at what point in time. Hypothetically, Kiln House COULD have sold LESS units, yet made the charts because of a slow time of album releases overall, whereas Then Play On could've sold more UNITS yet not reached the charts at all because of the competition releasing albums in a relatively close time frame.
Very true. I think the bigger point is that since they weren't well known in the US, Peter Green's departure wasn't as big a deal, hence why they were able to sustain a career in the US, whereas their career in Europe pretty much tanked altogether.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-16-2005, 12:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood
2. After "Rumours" conquered the world, I don't honestly think people generally were particulary crazy about the song "Tusk" but after that kind of massive success they enjoyed with "Rumours", they could've released ANYTHING as the "long awaiting single from the "Rumours" follow up album" & it would've made top 10.
"Tusk" took awhile to sing in & get people to groove to it. It didn't have that immediate impact, but it did have a hook that the public did begin to respond to.

It's my own hypothesis, too, that the USC Trojan Marching Band helped propel "Tusk" (the song & the album) as much as any airplay did. They featured the song at halftime at all the USC games at the Coliseum that year & the next, & you have no idea what it was like to see 80,000 people stand & do their "Victory Sign" thingie when the band launched into its arrangement of "Tusk." It really got everybody pumped.

In fact, "Tusk" probably got a bigger, better reception at the Coliseum that year than on the radio!

Plus, Stevie & Lindsey showed up at the USC-ASU game in October, & those 80,000 people were doubly dazzled, oddly enough. There was just something about seeing Stevie do her baton majorette routine & watching Lindsey fake-conduct the band.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
It's my own hypothesis, too, that the USC Trojan Marching Band helped propel "Tusk" (the song & the album) as much as any airplay did. They featured the song at halftime at all the USC games at the Coliseum that year & the next...
And the year after that, and the year after that...in fact, it is a USC halftime STAPLE....every game, every year, ever since 1979. And, the band spells out T-U-S-C when they play it.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
"Tusk" took awhile to sing in & get people to groove to it. It didn't have that immediate impact, but it did have a hook that the public did begin to respond to.

It's my own hypothesis, too, that the USC Trojan Marching Band helped propel "Tusk" (the song & the album) as much as any airplay did. They featured the song at halftime at all the USC games at the Coliseum that year & the next, & you have no idea what it was like to see 80,000 people stand & do their "Victory Sign" thingie when the band launched into its arrangement of "Tusk." It really got everybody pumped.

In fact, "Tusk" probably got a bigger, better reception at the Coliseum that year than on the radio!

Plus, Stevie & Lindsey showed up at the USC-ASU game in October, & those 80,000 people were doubly dazzled, oddly enough. There was just something about seeing Stevie do her baton majorette routine & watching Lindsey fake-conduct the band.
Oh yeah, I agree with this, I just meant that I think many younger fans might think that people loved "Tusk" because it made the top 10 on it's release & I think the 1st Tusk single would've charted up there no matter what music was included on it.

John