User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
"I'm So Afraid" live outdoor, 1976? Really? JS warned you!

Since you don't like "End of the Game", do you own Miles Davis' "Bitches Brew"? That could explain it.

Maybe I get "End of the Game" because I was a 1970's British prog rock fan twenty-five years ago when the majority of American high school morons followed REM, and U2.
No I don't own anything by Miles Davis Though from what I've heard of Bitches Brew that is probably a good thing...

Although perhaps my problem with jamming is that I don't like songs without words. I skip pretty much any instrumental on my ipod. Naturally I skip all those jam tracks from Live in Boston albums too as well as pretty much anything longer than ten minutes (FM, Mayall, Clapton, Cream, etc just love those long tracks).

As for PG, I have said this before, I still prefer his Splinter Group stuff over his FM and early solo career.

Actually, come to think of it, of the 16 Fleetwood Mac members, I'd prefer the solo works of 14 of them.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
No I don't own anything by Miles Davis Though from what I've heard of Bitches Brew that is probably a good thing...
Scandalous! About 20 Miles Davis recordings are essential. And Bitches Brew is one of them.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default bitchin about 'brew"

Quote:

Although perhaps my problem with jamming is that I don't like songs without words. I skip pretty much any instrumental on my ipod. Naturally I skip all those jam tracks from Live in Boston albums too as well as pretty much anything longer than ten minutes (FM, Mayall, Clapton, Cream, etc just love those long tracks).

As for PG, I have said this before, I still prefer his Splinter Group stuff over his FM and early solo career.

Actually, come to think of it, of the 16 Fleetwood Mac members, I'd prefer the solo works of 14 of them.
in the words of some old geezer who most likely has never read anything from The Ledge:
"Oh Well"
Old 03-15-2012, 12:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

By your account you would hate "Bitches Brew" because it contains no words, as does much of Miles Davis' music.

chriskisn has provided the divide between fans of the original FM lineup, and the band that went to California.

"Rattlesnake Shake" from "Live in Boston Volume 2", is essential listening for anyone who loves bands that interact, and play together very well, words are just fluff. Of course how could you ignore a band that went to Hugh Hefner's "Playboy After Dark" in early 1970, to play a song about male masterbation!?!? What happened to that band? They went pop!

If I'm listening to Pete Townshend, Lou Reed, David Bowie, Bob Dylan, or The Beatles, words matter. Does "Rumours" stack up to Dylan's "Blood on the Tracks" in hidden meanings?
Old 03-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
By your account you would hate "Bitches Brew" because it contains no words, as does much of Miles Davis' music.

chriskisn has provided the divide between fans of the original FM lineup, and the band that went to California.

"Rattlesnake Shake" from "Live in Boston Volume 2", is essential listening for anyone who loves bands that interact, and play together very well, words are just fluff. Of course how could you ignore a band that went to Hugh Hefner's "Playboy After Dark" in early 1970, to play a song about male masterbation!?!? What happened to that band? They went pop!

If I'm listening to Pete Townshend, Lou Reed, David Bowie, Bob Dylan, or The Beatles, words matter. Does "Rumours" stack up to Dylan's "Blood on the Tracks" in hidden meanings?
Actually I'm between the divide of the original FM fans and the cali-sugar-pop. I'm a Welch, Weston, Walker era fan or a Vito, Burnette, Bramlett fan. I liked Rumours era FM, but I didn't become passionate about the band until I heard the three best albums the band has released (MTM, Penguin, HAHTF).

I guess though that words do matter to me, probably because I am not primarily a FM fan, but primarily a Dylan fan. Without words Dylan would just be some guy strumming somewhat badly on a guitar.