Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-24-2005, 08:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Brummie accent

she may have had a Brummie accent when she was younger but, along with the other Brits, I don't hear that now. Just as I said before a touch of northern every now and then.

Gail
Old 01-24-2005, 08:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wali1
Although I didn't grow up here, I have lived here for 7 years off and on and find it a great place with lovely people. It's changed a lot in this time, they've completely reworked the city centre, and like any big city it has it's problems but there are far worse city's in the UK. Culturally, it's a great place because there's such a mixture of people.
Ali.
Let's hear it for Birmingham - home of the Balti!

Gail
Old 01-24-2005, 09:03 AM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
Well this bit of info woke me right up this morning. How do you know she lived there? Is there a plaque on the road or something LOL? That is too cool.

Thanks for the info about Birmingham BTW!

-Lis
My partner's College Lecturer is a big fan of early Mac and used one of their records (I think it was Man Of The World) during a lecture on Musical styles (or something similar, can't remember the exact topic). They got chatting about The Mac and he mentioned the road she lived on. I couldn't believe it when Ste told me. It seemed really surreal !!!

A plaque would be cool but I haven't noticed anything...I'll keep my eyes peeled ! Wouldn't it be weird if I could find out the house and take a photo

Ali.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Christine does have traces of a Birminmgham accent but it's very subtle...

It's interesting to note that in every area of the UK there are people with very strong accents and others that are less pronounced..

I grew up in Manchester but I don't believe my accent is overly strong, unlike for example Liam Gallagher of Oasis who grew up about 10 miles from myself. His voice is typical Manc.

Take Slash of Velvet Revolver too. He spent the first 11 years of his life in Stoke On Trent (very, very close to where I was born) and yet all I hear is California in his accent. Yet Robbie Williams, again from Stoke, has a classic local accent. So I think it's more environmental really. I remember reading somewhere that accents are affected by air pressure and climate too, which is why they vary from region to region.

Brummie is very strong, as are the voices of Scousers (Liverpool and Merseyside), Geordies (Newcastle and Gateshead), Cockneys (London). Plus you can get very pronounced Cornish (Cornwall) and Scottish too. Some of the Glasgow accents really do take a trained ear to decipher.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:11 AM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh
Let's hear it for Birmingham - home of the Balti!

Gail
Oh yes, who can forget? Worth visiting just for that !

Ali
Old 01-24-2005, 01:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've met a number of Brits from various areas of England and noticed their different accents...I did not know, however, that the Burmmie accent was so ill-regarded. Funny: I always considered CM's accent classy and charming. But then, I'm from Rochester, NY, home of the flat vowel.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking Brummie accent

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi
I've met a number of Brits from various areas of England and noticed their different accents...I did not know, however, that the Burmmie accent was so ill-regarded. Funny: I always considered CM's accent classy and charming. But then, I'm from Rochester, NY, home of the flat vowel.
If you were trying to describe the Brummie accent you definately would NOT pick Christine as an example of it.

Ozzy Osbourne would be closest.

Gail
Old 01-24-2005, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Really! That's so interesting. Yeah, if a true Brummie accent can be found in Ozzy, I can see why there'd be as stigma. But even his (speaking) voice has a lot of character.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love Christine's accent=:-) I also love the way she says "bloody"! I didn't realise she had any kind of accent except Brit..

"We listen to their voices, ignoring our own voice" Stevie - SOTM
"I keep the dream in my pocket, never let it fade away" Lindsey - TITN
Old 02-15-2005, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vianna
I love Christine's accent=:-) I also love the way she says "bloody"! I didn't realise she had any kind of accent except Brit..
It's funny because of all the UK accents I regard the word "bloody" more with brummies than any other...