User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
He & Paul may have gotten to be a fairly good songwriting team...of course nothing tops Lennon/McCartney, but McCartney/Kirwan may have been pretty darned good.

Except that after the She Loves You period they pretty much wrote individually It's pretty much the case of who ever sings the lead vocal wrote it .Which is why Macca gets upset when people credit a song that he wrote to Lennon . He rarely performs a Lennon song in any of his concerts.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Re: acid casualties... Peter seems pretty coherent and often very sly in the great Man Of the World doc. I loved the closing bit about being a better musician than Sooty though maybe not with Sweep!

The Munich commune visit makes a great spooky story, but seems like Peter was uncomfortable with fame and fortune before then, and Danny took a few years more to suddenly have been effected and then still played great and created original material post FM. I always wondered if Yes might have been a great fit for Danny? I'd definitely rate him as being as good as Peter Banks (r.i.p.) or Steve Howe, two other favorites of mine.

Anyway, I've met musicians claiming over a hundred acid trips who are totally coherent and sharp (into their '60s anyway).

I really think Syd was going to be how he was regardless, just a question of degree perhaps.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Not sure whether this has been posted here before, but I happened to spot the comment below (from about a year ago) about Danny Kirwan on this YouTube clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpULSQyfhUQ

Quote:
I did some agency work cooking at the centre in London where he is last month.

Had a little chat with him,he's well looked after,eats well and apparently plays his guitar up in his flat for his own enjoyment.
Good to hear...of course its still sad in the big picture but it may be about the best we can hope for him these days.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
Re: acid casualties... Peter seems pretty coherent and often very sly in the great Man Of the World doc. I loved the closing bit about being a better musician than Sooty though maybe not with Sweep!

The Munich commune visit makes a great spooky story, but seems like Peter was uncomfortable with fame and fortune before then, and Danny took a few years more to suddenly have been effected and then still played great and created original material post FM. I always wondered if Yes might have been a great fit for Danny? I'd definitely rate him as being as good as Peter Banks (r.i.p.) or Steve Howe, two other favorites of mine.

Anyway, I've met musicians claiming over a hundred acid trips who are totally coherent and sharp (into their '60s anyway).

I really think Syd was going to be how he was regardless, just a question of degree perhaps.

You're too good to be true! Stop repeating what I've typed the last five years. Wow!
Old 04-21-2013, 01:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
You're too good to be true! Stop repeating what I've typed the last five years. Wow!
You have to admit (FBI) I found the best UK blues guitarist in the history of music.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post

WHO ARE YOU!?!? I either want to know you as a real person, or I don't care, you type the right things so I'm going to a super-duper trap. I wish Becca was a real person, not an FBI personoa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul4hxJQIdZk

Last edited by slipkid; 04-21-2013 at 02:08 AM.. Reason: lies
Old 04-26-2013, 12:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

As Denny Doherty used to say... Hah?

blog: http://hippiesstolemyblog.blogspot.com/

I may actually have said (okay typed) some things first but I just don't keep track much. Did I champion the Derelict track first, hoo nose, did I bring up liking Satie here before anyone, hoo kares. I'm off line for various stretches traveling or creating or something else.

I do know I was a fanatic for Danny Kirwan and Peter Green before I ever saw the Penguin/Ledge website though.

I heard from someone in the know that Danny was given a guitar once and didn't want it and then later was able to play for himself. It was nice to have heard but don't know about the Youtube quote. Nice also if so! Thank you for so much truly beautiful music Danny!
Old 04-26-2013, 12:09 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default A Kirwan interview circa 1970

I remember reading a Danny Kirwan interview online from around 1970 where he was talking about Green leaving and some rumors about Green and Syd Barrett starting a new band and flying in fancy planes while the Mac had to take vans on the road. I've searched but I can't seem to find it anywhere and I know I'm not crazy!
Old 04-26-2013, 06:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesPaul7 View Post
I remember reading a Danny Kirwan interview online from around 1970 where he was talking about Green leaving and some rumors about Green and Syd Barrett starting a new band and flying in fancy planes while the Mac had to take vans on the road. I've searched but I can't seem to find it anywhere and I know I'm not crazy!
Interesting! Though I can hardly believe an online interview (not back in 1970, that is) would have been possible. I suppose you mean that somewhere online on the internet you read the interview. It would really be nice if you could find it again. Syd and Peter.... what an amazing duo that would have been. Keep searching, I am really desperate to know how Pete and Syd thought it would have worked.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:03 AM
Senior Ledgie

Yes, of course it would have been transcribed online. The more I think of it the more I'm thinking maybe it was an excerpt from the book Strange Brew. I'll have to check. I was looking online and I couldn't find anything.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:10 AM
Junior Ledgie

Hi everyone,my names Sam and am new to the forum.
I joined especially to reply to this thread as I'm the guy a couple of years back who put the youtube comment up of working where Danny Now lives.
I worked for alot of Chef Agencys in London and one day go the call to cover for a home for alcoholics in South London for a week.
When I got there it was an assortment of interesting characters,most of them lovely and interesting in their own way(one an ex MP.one an Ex Teacher)untill they'd had a few then they turned like most Alcoholics do!
Was preparing Lunch one day and this particular Man looked familiar to me but I didn't know where.
As I was talking to a Jamaican member of staff she enlightened me on the variety of residents here
"Oh one used to be in big group,I mean big group in 1970s.I mean we look him up on internet and he were huge!"
"Ummm what Band was that?" I asked.
"Oh I never heard of them but you might,Fleetwood Mac?"
Then the Penny dropped and I asked her what his name was to which she replied "Danny,Danny Kirwan"
Well being a huge fan of the original FM and of Green and Kirwan I was dumbstruck to realise it was him.
After being there a week I realised he was well looked after,went out when he felt like it on day trips with the other residents and ate very very well.
I feel like I teased him one day when I brought in a blues cd and put it on in the kitchen and he walked in and said "Now,I like this mate!"
Like alot of reports on him,he does have a guitar and plays it when he feels like it but no big comeback is ever gonna happen soon,he's just too vulnerable.
Before I left I said to him people out there had alot of love for him to which he smiled then walked away,I'd hate for him to pass away one day not knowing the huge ammount of respect he has for him.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Sam, thanks so much for this information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HORNET 81 View Post

Before I left I said to him people out there had alot of love for him to which he smiled then walked away,I'd hate for him to pass away one day not knowing the huge ammount of respect he has for him.

I feel the same way. I hope Danny somehow does realize what an influence he has had on fans and how much we have enjoyed his talent.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

Thank you for passing this experience on Sam!
Old 07-21-2013, 03:52 PM
Senior Ledgie

Thumbs up

Sam, your news brings me a great relief. I loved Danny's playing and often wondered about his quality of life.

Welcome to The Ledge!

Last edited by ejb1969; 07-21-2013 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: Typos...
Old 07-22-2013, 07:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HORNET 81 View Post
Hi everyone,my names Sam and am new to the forum.
I joined especially to reply to this thread as I'm the guy a couple of years back who put the youtube comment up of working where Danny Now lives.
I worked for alot of Chef Agencys in London and one day go the call to cover for a home for alcoholics in South London for a week.
When I got there it was an assortment of interesting characters,most of them lovely and interesting in their own way(one an ex MP.one an Ex Teacher)untill they'd had a few then they turned like most Alcoholics do!
Was preparing Lunch one day and this particular Man looked familiar to me but I didn't know where.
As I was talking to a Jamaican member of staff she enlightened me on the variety of residents here
"Oh one used to be in big group,I mean big group in 1970s.I mean we look him up on internet and he were huge!"
"Ummm what Band was that?" I asked.
"Oh I never heard of them but you might,Fleetwood Mac?"
Then the Penny dropped and I asked her what his name was to which she replied "Danny,Danny Kirwan"
Well being a huge fan of the original FM and of Green and Kirwan I was dumbstruck to realise it was him.
After being there a week I realised he was well looked after,went out when he felt like it on day trips with the other residents and ate very very well.
I feel like I teased him one day when I brought in a blues cd and put it on in the kitchen and he walked in and said "Now,I like this mate!"
Like alot of reports on him,he does have a guitar and plays it when he feels like it but no big comeback is ever gonna happen soon,he's just too vulnerable.
Ahem, welcome Sam. However, I'm quite sure I've read this story here on The Ledge before. Can't recall when, must have been at least a year ago.