Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-14-2006, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Bekka in Nashville

Lately Bekka has been playing various live shows around Nashville in one form or another. Last Friday I saw her at a local club with her full band and it was AMAZING! She played for over 2 hrs and each song was a can't-miss.
If you ever get the chance to see and hear her live... run don't walk!
She is by far the best kept secret... especially in this town. Seems the "stars" charge 10x as much for 10x less the entertainment.
Seriously, I don't know when I have last seen a performance where each song was evidently coming from the writer's very spirit. Her talent is second only to what an amazingly genuine person she is.

Btw... I was surprised when they started into "Talk to Me"! I thought no way is she going to sing a Stevie tune! But it turns out the guy playing guitar for her actually wrote the song and it was interesting hearing a male's "version". And he did actually pronounce "negligence".

Like it has been mentioned in here before, it's a shame "Time" didn't get more well-deserved attention. It really is a great album (IMHO).... but just had nothing going for it publicity-wise except for the fact that there was no Stevie or Lindsey.
And if anyone out there has a copy of Bekka's solo cd that is near impossible to find, please let me know!

"Lucky in love... Unlucky in opening cereal boxes... -- Lisa Douglas, re: Olivah
Old 08-14-2006, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow. Thanks for posting that. I'm in Nashvegas several times a year. I'll have to keep tabs on when she's playing, and try to plan a weekend around it. She's a wonderful singer, IMO. I was completely undecided about her, on the Time tour. She did Dreamin' the Dream. And I became a fan!
Old 08-14-2006, 01:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychCat View Post
Lately Bekka has been playing various live shows around Nashville in one form or another. Last Friday I saw her at a local club with her full band and it was AMAZING! She played for over 2 hrs and each song was a can't-miss.
If you ever get the chance to see and hear her live... run don't walk!
She is by far the best kept secret... especially in this town. Seems the "stars" charge 10x as much for 10x less the entertainment.
Seriously, I don't know when I have last seen a performance where each song was evidently coming from the writer's very spirit. Her talent is second only to what an amazingly genuine person she is.

Btw... I was surprised when they started into "Talk to Me"! I thought no way is she going to sing a Stevie tune! But it turns out the guy playing guitar for her actually wrote the song and it was interesting hearing a male's "version". And he did actually pronounce "negligence".

Like it has been mentioned in here before, it's a shame "Time" didn't get more well-deserved attention. It really is a great album (IMHO).... but just had nothing going for it publicity-wise except for the fact that there was no Stevie or Lindsey.
And if anyone out there has a copy of Bekka's solo cd that is near impossible to find, please let me know!
Chris Sandford is the guy, if I recall. He does those annual writers things at the Bluebird with Bekka & Bob Welch...Welch had/has some recordings on his website.

Bekka pops up in the most unexpected places....just last week I popped in an old Vince Gill CD to listen to and lo and behold there's Bekka (can't miss her!!) on a couple of tracks.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Bekka pops up in the most unexpected places....just last week I popped in an old Vince Gill CD to listen to and lo and behold there's Bekka (can't miss her!!) on a couple of tracks.
Which CD? I have 4-5 Vince CDs. I guess I've just never read the liner notes, or noticed that it sounds like Bekka.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Which CD? I have 4-5 Vince CDs. I guess I've just never read the liner notes, or noticed that it sounds like Bekka.
High Lonesome Sound...I can't remember the titles, but she's on the song with "New Orleans" in the title and the song after that.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Chris Sandford is the guy, if I recall. He does those annual writers things at the Bluebird with Bekka & Bob Welch...Welch had/has some recordings on his website.
Yeah.... Chris Sandford. What an amazing talent that guy is.
He also sang "Missing You" (that John Waite made huge). After, Bekka asked why he didn't put her name on it. He answered "because you were 3 at the time". She replied..."okay, we'll go with that.".

Btw... if anyone is in or around Nashville in a couple of weeks, Bekka is supposed to be at the early Bluebird show.
Would still LOVE to see Bob Welch around town. HOW cool would that be?
Afterall, this does seem to be where former Mac members come home to roost....

"Lucky in love... Unlucky in opening cereal boxes... -- Lisa Douglas, re: Olivah
Old 08-14-2006, 09:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It tends to be where ALOT of older musicians- even R&R musicians- tend to roost. Nashvegas is a nice town. I LOVE going there(and do, 4-6 weekends a year).
Old 08-14-2006, 09:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A friend of mine used to live in Nashville and worked at a local guitar store. He got to meet Steve Winwoond, Bob Welch, Rick Vito, Steve Cropper, Chet Atkins, and a lot of other greats. He even got to do some basic four track mixing for Hank Williams III.

He said that after a while, he got to the point where these guys just became normal everyday people. Which, for me, was a bit odd, as he was in a band that covered "Dear Mr. Fantasy" and "Low Spark..."

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-14-2006, 09:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
A friend of mine used to live in Nashville and worked at a local guitar store. He got to meet Steve Winwoond, Bob Welch, Rick Vito, Steve Cropper, Chet Atkins, and a lot of other greats. He even got to do some basic four track mixing for Hank Williams III.

He said that after a while, he got to the point where these guys just became normal everyday people. Which, for me, was a bit odd, as he was in a band that covered "Dear Mr. Fantasy" and "Low Spark..."
And Steve MacDougal chimes in- Don't forget about Nashvegas' biggest attraction- Frugal MacDougal's Liquor Store. I think of Steve, everytime I see it! Giant Scotsman on the sign.

Don't get me started on Hank III. I've worked with him 4 times. He's a (self)-sellout. He sure ain't country!!!! He's just some street punk, wanting to do hardcore. He's only MILKING the country thing!
Old 08-14-2006, 09:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And Steve MacDougal chimes in- Don't forget about Nashvegas' biggest attraction- Frugal MacDougal's Liquor Store. I think of Steve, everytime I see it! Giant Scotsman on the sign.
My friend actually sent some cups from there back with a mutual friend (the drummer of the band that did the Traffic covers). Which is really funny, as I'm one of the cheapest *****s I know.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-14-2006, 10:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
My friend actually sent some cups from there back with a mutual friend (the drummer of the band that did the Traffic covers). Which is really funny, as I'm one of the cheapest *****s I know.
I know, you've told me before. It's just that anytime Nashville, and you, come up in the same topic, I can't help but going there. Frugal MacDougal's!!!
I've got so many great memories in Nashville. I love that town. I'm SURE I'll end up there permanently, someday.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Btw... if anyone is in or around Nashville in a couple of weeks, Bekka is supposed to be at the early Bluebird show.
When exactly is this show you speak of?

I'll be in Franklin September 8-10 to catch a Walter Egan gig. If the Bekka gig is at all close to that I might be able to do some finagling and extend my stay.

BTW - check your PMs in regards to Bekka's What's In It For Me.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Chris Sandford is the guy, if I recall.
Quote:
Yeah.... Chris Sandford.
Close! His name is actually Chas Sandford.

He's the fella in the middle....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg csandford.jpg (29.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 08-15-2006, 12:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vicky View Post
When exactly is this show you speak of?
Just so you know(maybe you do), the Bluebird isn't a "concert" at all. It's VERY low-key. Three or four singer/songwriters, taking turns performing songs, solo acoustic(at least the few times I've been there, that was the case). IOW, if you're not REALLY into the artist, it's a little boring. Of course, I know that you like Bekka, so.......
Old 08-15-2006, 01:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Just so you know(maybe you do), the Bluebird isn't a "concert" at all....
I didn't know anything about the Bluebird, so thanks for the info. I've only been out to TN once, which was for 3 days back in May when I caught my first Egan show. But, yeah, I am really into Bekka, so I'm still interested if I can work it out.