Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-26-2005, 11:25 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default Jeremy... a few questions.

Does anyone have the Children of God album? I have the other three albums and I love them all, but I've never even heard anything from this one. Does anyone know where I can get it? Also, are there Jeremy solo/JSB live tracks out there, apart from the ones on the Live in India CD? I'm on another of my Jeremy Spencer lovewaves, where I'll listen to nothing else for about a week. I've been wearing the **** out of my Flee album (is it available on CD?). I'm trying so hard to pretend that Jeremy likes that album... blocking out his comments on the Madison Blues DVD. Oh, and I don't suppose there's any way I could contact him, is there? He must get fanmail.

Here's another thought...
When Jeremy mentions Stevie and Lindsey, it gives me a little shiver. Did they actually meet? How cool would that have been?

Try hard...
you can't leave her ~

Dream on now,
you silly dreamer...

...is that what you want?
Old 11-26-2005, 10:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Jeremy Spencer & The Children album is very good. It actually sounds better to my ears NOW than it did 33 years ago. LYRICALLY, it isn't nearly as "Jesus in your face" as legend has it. Yes, all the songs ARE religious, but they're not any more heavy-handed with Christianity than the early George Harrison solo albums are with Krishna/Hinduism. MUSICALLY, the album is fantastic, but the recording is kind of muddy.

Ok, who was it I owed a copy of this to? Tom? PM or email me to remind me and include your address again please.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
The Jeremy Spencer & The Children album is very good. It actually sounds better to my ears NOW than it did 33 years ago. LYRICALLY, it isn't nearly as "Jesus in your face" as legend has it. Yes, all the songs ARE religious, but they're not any more heavy-handed with Christianity than the early George Harrison solo albums are with Krishna/Hinduism. MUSICALLY, the album is fantastic, but the recording is kind of muddy...

i believe cD is correct, js&tc is quite wonderful. it is no more religous than 'in the skies'. in zero's opinion, with the exception of 'in the skies' js&tc is the best solo album made by members of the 60's lineup (fleetwood, green, kirwan, spencer).

well, maybe that is an overstatement. for sure js&tc is much better than 'flee'.

i could make copy if cD can't.

zero
Old 11-28-2005, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzero
i believe cD is correct, js&tc is quite wonderful. it is no more religous than 'in the skies'. in zero's opinion, with the exception of 'in the skies' js&tc is the best solo album made by members of the 60's lineup (fleetwood, green, kirwan, spencer).

well, maybe that is an overstatement. for sure js&tc is much better than 'flee'.

i could make copy if cD can't.

zero

I dunno, Danny's Midnight In San Juan IS pretty tough competition for that.

I was easily able to fit both JS&tC AND Flee onto one CD-R.

Side TWO of the Flee LP is really good (I hear it as Jeremy somewhat parodying the then CURRENT Fleetwood Mac). Side ONE is basically three disco tunes (hey, it WAS the mid-70's after all)...and as far as "disco" goes, Jeremy does it pretty well. (as he does with all genres of music he parodies) Having three LONG disco tunes together like that gets tedious, but taken individually, even THOSE songs aren't all that bad, either. The second cut is actually a song from JS&tC revved up & disco-fied.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I dunno, Danny's Midnight In San Juan IS pretty tough competition for that.

I was easily able to fit both JS&tC AND Flee onto one CD-R.

Side TWO of the Flee LP is really good (I hear it as Jeremy somewhat parodying the then CURRENT Fleetwood Mac). Side ONE is basically three disco tunes (hey, it WAS the mid-70's after all)...and as far as "disco" goes, Jeremy does it pretty well. (as he does with all genres of music he parodies) Having three LONG disco tunes together like that gets tedious, but taken individually, even THOSE songs aren't all that bad, either. The second cut is actually a song from JS&tC revved up & disco-fied.

i won't argue about 'midnight'. a good point cD!

it is a shame that such a talented group (kirwan, green, spencer) only produced a handful of really good solo records. if you discount peter's where he wasn't the driving force (most of pvk-era, and all of sg), being generous that leaves 'end of the game', 'in the skies', 'second chapter', 'midnight in sj', and 'js&tc'.

but, i guess, making records was not the priority for any these guys. jeremy and pete had purposely walked away from their careers as mainstream musicans, and by the time danny started making solo records he was well into his descent..... but what the heck, treasure what we've got. and there is still time for all of us to be surprised seeing as how jeremy is working on a new record.

i have no clear recollection of what 'flee' sounds like. so i'll take your advice cD and revisit, starting on side 2.

zero
Old 11-29-2005, 02:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzero
...if you discount peter's where he wasn't the driving force (most of pvk-era, and all of sg)...
Oh, but even though Peter wasn't a "driving force" songwriting-wise with the Splinter Group, I still think he had more input with the material than we'll ever know. His "fingerprints" are all over the tunes they wrote FOR him to sing...to the point where, unless I read the liner notes, I would've thought Peter would've had at LEAST a co-write credit, if not had written the song himself. Especially on the latter two albums Time Traders & Reaching The Cold 100

Back to Jeremy:

For all the potential that both JS&tC and Flee show, Jeremy hasn't put together that COMPLETE album of top-notch material. Even on the Live In India album, there's the tune "Bend In The Road" which showed some great songwriting promise.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I listened to 'JS&theC' only yesterday and I always love to hear it. The religious references aren't too hardcore like Chili said, and I don't have a problem with them despite being opposed to the sentiment. The production is very poor and Jeremy wasn't happy with that at the time, but musically the songs are very good, and not very Mac-ish except maybe for "I Believe In Jesus" which could've been on 'Kiln House' and "Joan of Arc" which sounds like it was written by Danny Kirwan. The other songs sound like any number of bands all rolled into one. It's not too hard to find on eBay, especially if you regularly search under US sellers. I find that the 'Live in India' CD is much harder to get

I've never seen 'Flee' on CD, but it might just have sneaked out in Germany or something, like Danny's 'Second Chapter' did. Danny and Jeremy are really badly served by the CD era (and Bob Weston) - 'Second Chapter' came to CD in Germany in 1993 but has been deleted for years, and Danny's other two albums never made it at all. Jeremy's first solo album is so expensive now it hurts, where's the CD of that? 'JS&theC' could be remastered and released on CD, perhaps together with 'Flee'. Bob Weston has two albums 'Studio Picks' and 'Night Light' which are very hard to find - someone put them together on a mid-price CD release please....

Last edited by bretonbanquet; 12-08-2005 at 09:31 AM..
Old 12-08-2005, 10:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

There's so much by ex-Maccers that could be issued on CD. All of the Spencer, Kirwan, Weston, and Burnette albums would be a great place to start. For that matter, while most have been on CD at various times, all of the Seven Souls/Head West/Paris/Bob Welch solo stuff would be great to have on CD, too. Most of Dave Mason's stuff has been issued on CD, although I wish they would release a two CD set of all of his Blue Thumb era material (which would actually fit on two CDs). Ahh, to dream.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-08-2005, 10:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
...Paris/Bob Welch solo stuff would be great to have on CD, too.
Both Paris albums ARE currently available on CD. (as imports, however)

I think Bob's albums are too (except the 1981 "yellow album" & Eye Contact)...French Kiss/Three Hearts & The Other One/Man Overboard as twofer's.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
the 1981 "yellow album"
This was on CD as a Japan import in the early 90's.

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 12-08-2005 at 11:17 AM..
Old 12-08-2005, 12:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, I have most of the ones released on CD. Of course "French Kiss" has been in-and-out several times, and I picked up one of the pressings. I only have the first CD pressing of "Three Hearts," which doesn't have the bonus tracks. I also have the "The Other One/Man Overboard" twofer, and the s/t Japanese import CD. But, damnit, "Eye Contact" is MIA! I didn't know about the Paris CDs. Those were in print, also as imports, in the early '90s, but were too expensive for me at the time (I was only a teen...). I also need to pick up his most recent CD. I'm just getting lazy that way.

THE Stephen Hopkins