Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Present Band
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 10-28 Milwaukee Review

Lindsey Buckingham's gone, but Fleetwood Mac proves it's a better live band in Milwaukee

Three years ago, when Fleetwood Mac played the BMO Harris Bradley Center in Milwaukee, Lindsey Buckingham told the sold-out crowd the band was beginning "a profound, poetic and I believe prolific new chapter."

Little did he know it would be without him.

In April, Buckingham was fired from the band. He filed a lawsuit this month, but the show goes on for Fleetwood Mac, which returned to Milwaukee Sunday to play the 12th concert of its new tour at Fiserv Forum.

Is Fleetwood Mac without Lindsey Buckingham still Fleetwood Mac? Answers differ depending on who you ask, but everyone can agree how critical Buckingham's songwriting and guitar playing was to the group's success, and how vital his presence continued to be in concert.

I also suspect most everyone who attended Mac's Milwaukee show Sunday would say the band was in incredible form. And as someone who attended the band's two most recent Milwaukee appearances, I'd say this recent one was infinitely better.

Under the shadow of a new ugly chapter, a revitalized Mac performed Sunday like they still had something to prove.

And the remaining classic lineup members — Stevie Nicks, Christine McVie, John McVie and Mick Fleetwood – proved it with two replacements for Buckingham, Neil Finn and Mike Campbell.

As the new lead male singer, Finn had perhaps the most daunting task, but in vocal tone and sentiment, he confidently inhabited songs like "Monday Morning" and "Go Your Own Way," and clearly had a ball doing it.

He also had a natural chemistry with Nicks, particularly for a zippy "Second Hand News," while Nicks lent some gravitas singing duet with Finn for a gleaming, sparse rendition of Finn's gorgeous original "Don't Dream It's Over" from his Crowded House days.

Nicks led another cover, to honor Campbell, and Campbell's longtime bandmate, the late Tom Petty. No words were said about Petty Sunday, but no words needed to be said. The great admiration for the man and his music was deeply felt and beautifully expressed during a soaring rendition of "Free Fallin'," with pictures of Petty young and old gracing the screen above the stage as Campbell played the guitar lines.

The zealous Buckingham often makes it obvious to a crowd when he's playing a dazzling guitar part. Campbell, behind his shades and under that signature top hat, was as cool as a cucumber. The Heartbreaker handled all the signature guitar passages with ease — no surprise there — and proved, at this show at least, to be the more adventurous player, especially for three throwbacks to Fleetwood Mac's early days as a progressive blues band.

Zigzagging renditions of "Black Magic Woman," "Tell Me All the Things You Do" and "Oh Well" were meaty without ever being meandering, and beyond giving Campbell space to strut, they pushed the rest of the band to branch out from the hit-churning routine.

For Nicks, that meant reinterpreting "Black Magic Woman" from a female perspective, while a grinning Finn tried to keep up with Campbell on rhythm guitar for "Oh Well." And one of Campbell's rollicking guitar parts during "Tell Me All the Things You Do" doubled as a playful challenge to Christine McVie, who responded in kind with her own soulful jam on keys.

Taking lead for her Mac signatures like "Everywhere" and "You Make Loving Fun," McVie was in better form than her at-times-shaky showing in Milwaukee three years ago, when she was still relatively new to live performing after a 16-year absence.

Fleetwood stepped it up, too, behind the drums. He couldn't help himself from performing a gratuitous drum solo during "World Turning" that stretched five minutes (at least), but the version Sunday displayed more technical skill, and was less reliant on the audience-bating scat speak and call-and-response that served as a smokescreen.

And while Nicks didn't try to reach those higher notes during "Rhiannon," she remains the band's beautiful beating heart, infusing "Dreams" and "Gold Dust Woman" with the wide-eyed romanticism that only she can conjure.

Fleetwood Mac could get away with filling arenas without Buckingham. But without a doubt, Fleetwood Mac at this point really wouldn't be Fleetwood Mac without Nicks.

The takeaways
That Fleetwood Mac Bradley Center show was the now-shuttered Milwaukee arena's top-grossing concert in a decade. I can't imagine Sunday's near-capacity show will be the top-grossing Milwaukee concert of the month — although it was quite a month, with Ed Sheeran playing for 40,000 at Miller Park, Metallica playing for 19,000 at Fiserv Forum, plus packed shows for Foo Fighters, Twenty One Pilots and the Eagles. It's possible Buckingham's absence led to lighter attendance this time around. It's also possible it wasn't sold out because the show landed on a Packers game day.
Ahead of a lovely "Landslide" with Finn on acoustic guitar, Nicks said there was a man in the audience named Steve she's known since they were 15 who inspired her to write her first song. She sang a bit of it, too: "Well I've loved and I've lost, I'm sad but not blue/I once loved a boy,who was wonderful and true/But he loved another before he loved me/And I knew he still wanted her/'Twas easy to see."

At that Milwaukee show three years ago, I had a seat up near the top of the arena over the stage — and I could see a drummer, hidden behind a stack of speakers, who played every beat along with Fleetwood (except the solo). The way the stage and seating were set up Sunday, it wasn't possible to see if there was again a hidden drummer, but this time out, there was another percussionist on stage who helped fill out the sound.

The set list
1. "The Chain"
2. "Little Lies"
3. "Dreams"
4. "Second Hand News"
5. "Say You Love Me"
6. "Black Magic Woman"
7. "Everywhere"
8. "Rhiannon"
9. "Tell Me All The Things You Do"
10. "World Turning"
11. "Gypsy"
12. "Oh Well"
13. "Don't Dream It's Over" (Crowded House cover)
14. "Landslide"
15. "Isn't It Midnight"
16. "Monday Morning"
17. "You Make Loving Fun"
18. "Gold Dust Woman"
19. "Go Your Own Way"
Encore
20. "Free Fallin'" (Tom Petty cover)
21. "Don't Stop"
22. "All Over Again"

https://www.jsonline.com/story/enter...nd/1774601002/

Last edited by kak125; 10-29-2018 at 09:30 AM..
Old 10-29-2018, 09:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know if the setlist is correct but if so they dropped 'I Got You' which pisses me off. I was really looking forward to hearing that one. I'm still angry about them dropping Hypnotized & Storms - ugh!
Old 10-29-2018, 10:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Another review where Christine is barely mentioned--and no discussion of her performances are provided. Based on what I've seen from clips, she's singing and playing well. So the omissions are annoying and disrespectful.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Fleetwood Mac blends old with new at Fiserv Forum show

Despite various marriages, divorces, breakups, and makeups, the members of Fleetwood Mac have continually performed alongside one another for nearly half a century. Aside from a repertoire of legendary tunes, the band is perhaps most famous for its longevity. That longevity was briefly interrupted on April 9, 2018 when a RollingStone.com headline made waves across various the internet. “Fleetwood Mac Fires Lindsey Buckingham,” declared an article on the music mag’s website. Commenters on Facebook joked about how Buckingham’s departure would have been big news in 1979, not in 2018.

While those snarky commenters weren’t completely wrong, Buckingham’s unexpected termination still managed to shock fans. The prolific band—who managed to stay together for countless decades—was, at long last, losing a crucial piece of its never-ending puzzle. Would the group continue to prosper without Buckingham’s signature howl and refined guitar work? Only time would tell.

Not long after Buckingham’s dismissal, the band announced yet another tour. “An Evening With Fleetwood Mac” began this month, making its 12th stop in Milwaukee Sunday night at the freshly minted Fiserv Forum. Buckingham was replaced with not one, but two seasoned performers who were each given the task of trying to fill the big shoes that Buckingham left behind. Neil Finn (of Crowded House) took over Buckingham’s vocal duties, while Mike Campbell (of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers) wielded a lead guitar.

The brand-new lineup started off the set with “The Chain,” a haunting track off of Rumours, perfect for Hallo-weekend. Right off the bat, audiences were given a little taste of both Finn and Campbell’s newfound contributions to the group. Finn admittedly seemed a little uneasy during the early parts of the set, but who wouldn’t be? Buckingham managed to set an extremely high standard, both for himself and for Fleetwood Mac; it speaks volumes that two musicians were hired to replace him.

Of course, Buckingham is a very important member of Fleetwood Mac…but frankly, he’s not exactly who people come to see. The ethereal goddess (and rumored witch) Stevie Nicks has long been the group’s showstopper, and that is definitely one aspect of the band that has remained unchanged. Her haunting voice sounds almost identical to the band’s early recordings; strong, slightly raspy and powerful as ever. It’s unlikely Nicks has ever succumbed to the temptation of auto-tuning her music. She sure as hell doesn’t need to.

Fleetwood Mac’s other leading lady, Christine McVie, has consistently remained one of the band’s most understated members. She immediately claimed her throne during “Little Lies,” a track on which the British chanteuse sings lead. During “Everywhere,” McVie stepped away from her keyboard and commanded center stage as Nicks stepped to the side. McVie left Fleetwood Mac in 1998 and only recently returned in 2014. Last night, it was clear the rest of the group was thankful to have the opportunity to perform alongside McVie once again.

One of the show’s few low points was an extremely gratuitous drum solo from Mick Fleetwood after a raucous rendition of “World Turning.” Yes, Fleetwood deserves his moment in the sun, and he is an extremely talented drummer. Regardless, his solo went on for far too long and was very obviously a self-indulgent addition to the otherwise engaging set. He yelled random hype words into a microphone as he drummed vigorously, eventually moving from the back of the stage to the front with a bongo drum slung around his shoulders.

After finishing up his act, Fleetwood took a moment to introduce the group to the massive audience. Aside from the main members of Mac, the lineup consisted of two backup singers, one backup percussionist, one backup guitarist, and one backup keyboardist. A grand total of 11 musicians made the Fiserv Forum stage their home for the night, taking the group’s arena-rock sound to the next level. “We are excited to have them join this crazy band called Fleetwood Mac,” Fleetwood said with a laugh.

Naturally, the most enchanting performances of the evening were those with Nicks on lead vocals. “Gypsy” and “Rhiannon,” two of the group’s most beloved tracks, were each highlights of the two-hour set. Another highlight was Nicks’ and Finn’s teamwork on a stripped-down, acoustic version of “Don’t Dream It’s Over.” It’s seriously unlikely that anyone listening to Crowded House in the mid-’80s would have ever guessed Finn would one day be a Fleetwood Mac stand in, but hey, stranger things have happened.

After performing a generous 19-song set, Fleetwood Mac finally stepped away from the stage. The band began its encore with a heartfelt performance of Tom Petty’s signature “Free Fallin’.” The crowd went berserk immediately after hearing the iconic intro. The sweet tribute was accompanied by a slideshow of Petty, who apparently took hundreds of photos with Stevie Nicks over the course of his career. Considering Nicks’ and Petty’s impressive track record, it may have been even more impressive to hear “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around” or another collaboration between the two artists. But when Nicks howled, “I wanna write his name in the sky,” there was not a dry eye in the, uh, forum.

“Don’t Stop,” another legendary ditty off Rumors, was very appropriately saved for the encore. “Yesterday’s gone…oh, don’t you look back,” the band harmonized with a twinge of bittersweetness. Buckingham’s name was not uttered once throughout the entire set, but perhaps it didn’t need to be. Considering most of Fleetwood Mac’s members are in their 70s, it’s hard to imagine a next “era” for the legendary group. But if their 2018 track record is indicative of anything, it’s unlikely they’ll be retiring any time soon.

And thank God for that.

http://milwaukeerecord.com/music/fle...rv-forum-show/
Old 10-29-2018, 11:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

DDIO and Landslide:
https://youtu.be/E-qs9d1b7ig
(Sounds great) Stevie sings a verse of I've Loved and I've Lost and I'm Sad but not Blue!

GYOW:
https://youtu.be/p6ZDX0qFFuY

The Chain:
https://youtu.be/Rr_6ZiYHOhc

All Over Again
https://youtu.be/Js10GtxJ0cI

Everywhere:
https://youtu.be/ZnKbN6Qr2tg

Free Fallin:
https://youtu.be/Ugx-4rWN7qY
(Great view of the picture screen)

Gold Dust:
https://youtu.be/2mpl0S60ZuQ

Oh Well:
https://youtu.be/xkPgDK5VIig

Last edited by gldstwmn; 10-29-2018 at 12:12 PM..
Old 10-29-2018, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kak125 View Post
I don't know if the setlist is correct but if so they dropped 'I Got You' which pisses me off. I was really looking forward to hearing that one. I'm still angry about them dropping Hypnotized & Storms - ugh!
I feel the exact same way! I'm alternating between pi$sed off and majorly disappointed. I was already bummed they switched out Storms for Gypsy and completely dropped Hypnotized, and now I Got You is dropped?!? I hope, if it has been dropped permanently, that it will be replaced by something else, like I Don't Want to Know, for example.

Btw kak125, thanks for posting the reviews, it's much appreciated.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I feel the exact same way! I'm alternating between pi$sed off and majorly disappointed. I was already bummed they switched out Storms for Gypsy and completely dropped Hypnotized, and now I Got You is dropped?!? I hope, if it has been dropped permanently, that it will be replaced by something else, like I Don't Want to Know, for example.

Btw kak125, thanks for posting the reviews, it's much appreciated.
They probably had a plane to catch or there were odd noise ordinances in Milwaukee. Here's hoping anyway.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
They probably had a plane to catch or there were odd noise ordinances in Milwaukee. Here's hoping anyway.
Or because Stevie's being given more leeway to do her chatshow corners, by the sounds of it.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Or because Stevie's being given more leeway to do her chatshow corners, by the sounds of it.
What is her biggest concert speech this year? I heard it involves a journey through her formative years, topped off by some earnest reflection on her recent voyage through her family tree and 23andMe. She dedicates Landslide to her Y-DNA haplogroup.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 10-30-2018, 01:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
They probably had a plane to catch or there were odd noise ordinances in Milwaukee.
I read that without my glasses and I thought it said "odd noises," so for some reason I thought you meant flatulence or something in the arena. It just seemed very Milwaukee-like.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 10-30-2018, 06:39 AM
Keith
This message has been deleted by Keith. Reason: duplicated post - too much coffee
Old 10-30-2018, 06:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I Got You

Quote:
Originally Posted by kak125 View Post
I'm not really a fan of "I Got You" but hate to see songs dropped for the fans who are wanting to hear them at their upcoming shows. For me, that would be "Hypnotized" - don't get why they drop a beloved Fleetwood Mac song and keep a Crowded House song in the set. At least I have a new "Rumours" show to listen to today.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
PLEASE do not tell me her 24K gold ramblings are back...

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 10-30-2018, 09:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheart View Post
PLEASE do not tell me her 24K gold ramblings are back...
My comment was a bit trollish--I haven't listened to this concert or heard reports of the ramblings returning; but this thread mentioned that they cut yet another song from the setlist and that Stevie was talking about her old friend Steve in the audience, as well as singing a few lines of her "Sad But Not Blue" song, so it made me wonder whether this was the thin end of the wedge and the strength of the others in keeping the genie in the bottle is beginning to tire as the tour and year wears on.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie has now cut 2 of Neil's lead vocal performances from the set. Makes me wonder if she's envious of the attention he's receiving. Everyone raved about Hypnotized, and I Got You turned out to be an unexpected crowd pleaser. Granted she dropped Storms too, but she replaced that with Gypsy. Neil wasn't given any replacements.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Stevie has now cut 2 of Neil's lead vocal performances from the set. Makes me wonder if she's envious of the attention he's receiving. Everyone raved about Hypnotized, and I Got You turned out to be an unexpected crowd pleaser. Granted she dropped Storms too, but she replaced that with Gypsy. Neil wasn't given any replacements.
It was beause of the water bottle he kicked at her, he's now in her bad books..............