Old 07-20-2011, 11:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Dave Mason at Burns Park

Dave Mason Rocks Burns Park
Long time musician featured in Music Under the Stars series

Syosset Patch
http://syosset.patch.com/articles/da...cks-burns-park

By Donald McCarthy July 19, 2011

Tell Your Neighbors About Patch He's played with Jimi Hendrix, George Harrison and The Rolling Stones and he's toured all around the world.

But area residents only needed to go to Burns Park to hear the music of Dave Mason.

Mason has had a varied music career that started in the 1960s. He helped co-found the band Traffic, went off on his own for a while, appeared on an album with Harrison and eventually joined Fleetwood Mac for their album “Time” in the 1990s. He has since toured extensively with the Dave Mason Band.

Town Supervisor John Venditto opened the concert asking the crowd, “Are you ready to rock the park with Dave Mason?”

Mason came out and started the concert with his song “Feelin’ Alright.” He looked substantially different from how he did when he worked with Hendrix and Harrison.

Dressed all in black, Mason has shaved his head and wears a goatee, a far cry from his heyday when he had long hair and a full beard.

As the concert continued with songs like “Good 2 U” and “So High (Rock Me Baby and Roll Me Away)” Mason discussed his charity work with Work Vessel For Veterans (WVFV) which aims to help returning soldiers start their own businesses so that they can be financially secure. He urged members of the audience to become involved.

“When they come home they get shoved under the carpet,” Mason said. “So we’re one of the [organizations] that helps them out but we’re the only one that helps them start their own business.” To help raise money Mason was raffling off a signed guitar.

Mason also allowed the other members of his band moments in the spotlight. Bassist Gerald Johnson played a couple of blues songs, while keyboardist Anthony Patler and drummer Alvino Bennet also received shout outs of appreciation from Mason.

Those in attendance got to see one of Rock 'n Roll's great pros at work without having to pay admission.

But convenience also meant a lot to audience members.

Ruth Acquaviva who lives only a block away from the park said, “I can bike a street or two from my house and come to any concert here. It’s great.”
Old 08-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Thanks for the article! I've always liked Dave Mason. Traffic is one of my favorite bands but I also love his solo work.

Sad and Deep As You is, well, deep, lol.

Eyes that are the windows
Eyes that are the view
Eyes that tell a story
Sad and deep as you