The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: What's your least favorite song from Time?
Dreaming the Dream 0 0%
I Got It In For You 1 8.33%
Hollywood 2 16.67%
Blow by Blow 6 50.00%
These Strange Times 3 25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Time - Least Favorite Song

Let's get started with the voting for your least favorite song from the Time album.

Poll closes in 4 days.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't even know where to begin. The only one of these that I like is "Dreaming the Dream". I'll have to think about which of the others I can least stand.

- Jake
Old 07-16-2011, 06:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Blow by Blow but is it as unpleasant as I remember?

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It seems as though Bekka (at least her voice) is well represented here with these songs.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

It's a shame this poll isn't multiple choice, as I would be voting for each one of these. I find this album altogether hideous.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post
... I find this album altogether hideous.
I like the album, but it is kinda unbalanced.

Too much Christine, wasted track space w/These Strange Times, too much of Bekka's voice, too little Billy Burnette, and no Christine/Billy collaborations. Overall the album is too long.

And as much as I love "Blow by Blow", was Dave Mason really needed?
Old 07-16-2011, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Blow by Blow but is it as unpleasant as I remember?
Depends on who's doing the blowing.

It gets my vote as well...
Old 07-17-2011, 04:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I would love to have voted for "Talkin' to My Heart" instead of any of these.
I ended up voting for "Hollywood" (terrible production - endless repeats and bland harmonies) but "I Got It in for You" is a close second.
I'm surprised that "These Strange Times" doesn't have a lot of votes. I like it up until Mick starts talking (and it's one of the only songs where Bekka's background vocals don't sound desperate and intrusive - again, a production issue on the album).

- Jake
Old 07-18-2011, 07:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I gotta go with "These Strange Times". The song just isn't needed while more time could have been given to the others.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
Too much Christine,
Agreed.

Quote:
wasted track space w/These Strange Times,
I'd agree, but I think it's actually the most interesting, daring song on the record. And, it's cool to hear that Mick's actually a pretty good guitarist.

Quote:
too much of Bekka's voice,
Disagree. I think it was pretty clear that this was Christine's last record with the group, and they needed to feature the new female vocalist as much as possible. The original idea was that Bekka was going to be the new focal point in the band.

Quote:
and no Christine/Billy collaborations.
AGREED. That was sorely missed.

Quote:
And as much as I love "Blow by Blow", was Dave Mason really needed?
At the time he joined, yes. Billy had quit the band in early 1993, leaving the band without a guitarist or male vocalist/songwriter. In fact, it only left Mick, John, and Christine (AGAIN). Bekka was an obvious choice, having worked with Mick Fleetwood's Zoo. As such, Dave Mason, who worked with Bekka's folks and was a good friend of Mick's, made a lot of sense. I think Mick hoped it would jump start the band's chemistry.

But then, in early '94, Billy, another Bramlett associate, asked to rejoin the band. I think the chemistry they had hoped would develop between Mason and Bramlett happened between Bramlett and Burnette, which ultimately devalued Mason's role in the band, creatively speaking. On the other hand, Mason WAS a popular musician in his own right, and at least brought a name to that front line-up, which it would not have had in concert without him.

If Billy had stayed, Bekka would probably have still been asked to join, but I doubt that Dave Mason would have. They would have just gotten a lead guitarist.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 07-19-2011 at 01:50 PM..
Old 07-19-2011, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklinensuit View Post
I'm surprised that "These Strange Times" doesn't have a lot of votes. I like it up until Mick starts talking (and it's one of the only songs where Bekka's background vocals don't sound desperate and intrusive - again, a production issue on the album).

- Jake
Probably, because there's not much Bekka on "These Strange Times"...the female you're hearing is one of Mick's older daughters (Lucy, I seem to recall)

Which brings up the question...since Todd Sharp had worked with Bob Welch under Mick Fleetwood's managerialship, with Christine on her solo album and subsequent tour (even playing a show or two of Christine's with Billy Burnette), on Danny Douma's album (and in Danny's touring band, opening a number of FLeetwood Mac shows on the Tusk tour), with Mick on his African recording safari (read: The Visitor) It just seemed really logical that he would've been, at some point, offered the lead guitar position in Fleetwood Mac itself. Would like to know the dynamic of why he wasn't.

Last edited by chiliD; 07-19-2011 at 05:30 PM..
Old 07-19-2011, 06:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
...I think the chemistry they had hoped would develop between Mason and Bramlett happened between Bramlett and Burnette, which ultimately devalued Mason's role in the band, creatively speaking.
I never really though about that, but it makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
On the other hand, Mason WAS a popular musician in his own right, and at least brought a name to that front line-up, which it would not have had in concert without him.
I wasn't a FM fan back then, but I know Dave Mason was/is popular, but was that not enough to get people interested in the "new" Fleetwood Mac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Which brings up the question...since Todd Sharp had worked with Bob Welch under Mick Fleetwood's managerialship, with Christine on her solo album and subsequent tour (even playing a show or two of Christine's with Billy Burnette), on Danny Douma's album (and in Danny's touring band, opening a number of FLeetwood Mac shows on the Tusk tour), with Mick on his African recording safari (read: The Visitor) It just seemed really logical that he would've been, at some point, offered the lead guitar position in Fleetwood Mac itself. Would like to know the dynamic of why he wasn't.
There's a Christine solo concert on youtube from back in '83 with Todd Sharp, Billy Burnette and others. So yeah Todd Sharp would seem like a nice fit cause that band sounded great!

Also is it just me or are the conversations on the Post-Rumours forum more interesting that the other forums? Perhaps it's just me and my interest in those ten non-Rumours era years.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
It just seemed really logical that he would've been, at some point, offered the lead guitar position in Fleetwood Mac itself. Would like to know the dynamic of why he wasn't.
I see your point, but I'm glad he was not. I've heard a few of Christine's '84 bootlegs, and I really didn't dig his solos on stuff like "Spare Me A Little Of Your Love" or " Just Crazy Love." It was just too generic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
I wasn't a FM fan back then, but I know Dave Mason was/is popular, but was that not enough to get people interested in the "new" Fleetwood Mac?
Maybe, maybe not. I first saw that version open for Crosby, Stills, & Nash, who are all heavily associated with Dave Mason (even their keyboardist, Mike Finnigan, was in the Dave Mason Band back in the '70s), so there may have been some bias. I think it gave the band some additional credibility it may have lacked otherwise. Outside of his solo and Traffic songs and the one new song, the band was basically a cover band (seriously, NO "Behind The Mask" songs???). Actually, I think the time to have added him would have been after Lindsey quit, and just continued as a five piece.

The reason the '87-'97 discussions are so interesting, IMO, is that there was so much untapped potential. The new players were great, but the band played it too safe and tried to not stray too far from the "Rumours" sound, which is completely the opposite of the post-Peter Green/pre-Buckingham Nicks years. The few moments of brilliance were diluted, and the overall effect was generic music that really hasn't stood the test of time.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 07-21-2011, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

With 6 votes, "Blow by Blow" wins least favorite song from Time.
Closed Thread