The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Which "era" do each of the new songs invoke?

In your reviews of 24KG this past week, a lot of you have mutually stated that this album sounds "timeless" because each song evokes different eras throughout Stevie's career. I thought a new fun and interesting thread would be to list which eras come to mind for each of you when listening to each song. For me, personally...

Starshine, IYWML, Belle Fleur, The Dealer are TOTALLY "Bella Donna" for me!

"All the Beautiful Worlds" reeks of "Wild Heart" because they really didn't change very much at all from the outtake. Just a slightly different piano part.

"Mabel" of course would have been perfect on "Rock A Little" if there were a lot of that synth in there. But the musicality of this new version reminds me a lot of TISL for some strange reason.

The new version of "Twisted" is one part "TOSOTM" (the AC magic of it) and one part "Buckingham Nicks" (the late 60's/early 70's San Francisco vibe).

"24 Karat Gold" and "Watch Chain" are oh so Fleetwood Mac oriented. Sound wise, if the Mac would have made an album in between Tusk and Mirage, "24 Karat" would have been perfect for it. It has the witchy-ness of "Sisters" and "Straight Back" but has that 1979/1980 Southern California transitional rock sound. "Watch Chain" feels like what the Rumours version of "Think About It" should have been. When the "be aware of the danger" part comes around for a second time in this song, I totally hear a 1979 Eagles vibe that I can only equate to Joe Walsh's song, "In The City" from "The Long Run" album...but now I'm getting off topic...

"I Don't Care" and "Hard Advice" seem like they both could have been on the IYD album, as they appear to be the most polished tracks on this record and have Dave Stewart written all over them. Same with certain parts of "Carousel" ~ most notably Anne Marie Calhoun's beautiful string arrangements.

As I said recently in a previous thread, the "She Loves Him Still" sound is straight up Street Angel...but everything that was GOOD about Street Angel.

That just leaves "Cathouse Blues", "Blue Water" and "Lady", which are all kind of difficult for me to pin down to a specific Stevie era...but maybe that's a good thing? "Blue Water" of course has that "country Stevie" thing going for it which has been a staple sound on at least one track from all her previous solo albums so I think that's why it's hard for me to find. And "Cathouse" is just the kind of song that she's never attempted before.

Thoughts?
Old 10-07-2014, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
As I said recently in a previous thread, the "She Loves Him Still" sound is straight up Street Angel...but everything that was GOOD about Street Angel.
i hear a LOT of SA on this record ... little bits here and there.
def the good bits
but then there's little bits of every album on this one i thinkk

Quote:
That just leaves "Cathouse Blues", "Blue Water" and "Lady", which are all kind of difficult for me to pin down to a specific Stevie era...but maybe that's a good thing? "Blue Water" of course has that "country Stevie" thing going for it which has been a staple sound on at least one track from all her previous solo albums so I think that's why it's hard for me to find. And "Cathouse" is just the kind of song that she's never attempted before.

Thoughts?
country!stevie automatically conjures up That's Alright and Rose Garden for me
so there's not really a specific era for that. i'll add CB and BW to this pile.

I'd add Lady to Buckingham/Nicks era
Old 10-07-2014, 09:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Lady" actually IS very Buckingham Nicks! Good call!

Anyone else wanna chime in?
Old 10-08-2014, 04:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
"Lady" actually IS very Buckingham Nicks! Good call!
yes i realize that
that was not intentional.

i think it would have fit well on the BN record
nice and simple. but beautiful.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool

For me "Blue Water" makes me think of the fleetwood mac album. I can picture it sitting next to "Warm Ways" and "Blue Letter".