Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-28-2003, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

PenguinHead...

I don't know if this was your intention or not, but the way you quoted me and then responded to my post felt as if you were attacking my idea...which was me just throwing something out there...

Meredith (Merf) said something pretty similar in her comments as well...along with noticing how strange Lindsey looks when you mention the name Christine.

I don't think I'm a drama queen and I don't believe my post was speculating a dramatic fight or anything. Sorry I got my facts wrong and wrongly compared the TITN fight with whatever we think might have happened during the making of SYW. Who knows why Lindsey may or may not have gotten mad at Chris? We don't and that is why we speculate...no one should be attacking anyone's speculations unless they are totally absurd (like, Christine was abducted by aliens and isn't really in England) OR they have legitimate proof (magazine articles, etc.).

Please don't call me or my posts "childish" either. All posts are just the ideas of the poster.

Thank you.

"If you f*ck with my people, I'm gonna get real f*cking angry!" (Stevie-1988)

If I'd have written a song on "Rumours"? How about "You want a what?", or "We should have had a Pre-Nup". (John McVie)

Last edited by WednesdaysChild; 07-28-2003 at 02:28 PM..
Old 07-28-2003, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I thought it was odd that the last Greatest Hits wasn't dedicated to Chris. They did that with the first one (the green cover), they dedicated it to Lindsey. Why didn't they dedicate the last one to Chris????

You got a sweet heart
Never will you be replaced
Old 07-28-2003, 02:29 PM

Chris quit the band because she was sick of touring and she was sick of this particular group of people. That was my theory the day the Dance tour was cut short and that is my theory now. There has been no evidence whatsoever that a showdown took place. Chris told the band she had had enough, and they all tried to change her mind. If anything, Lindsey was the most understanding one, according to some published reports. I recall reading somewhere that he said Christine was the one who was most supportive when he quit, and when she decided to leave he was supportive too because he could sympathize with her.

Unless Christine comes out and says exactly why she quit, we may never find out. Or we may just have to accept that her being tired of touring was the real reason.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Maybe they aren't really talking about her because she's asked them not to? To leave her alone and out of it? That the tour shouldn't be about missing her?

Just some ideas...

If I'd have written a song on "Rumours"? How about "You want a what?", or "We should have had a Pre-Nup". (John McVie)
Old 07-28-2003, 03:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Chris quit the band because she was sick of touring and she was sick of this particular group of people. That was my theory the day the Dance tour was cut short and that is my theory now.
I don't know, Christine has always spoken so warmly and lovingly towards these four people, I have a hard time imagining her being "sick of them."

Christine and Lindsey have always gotten along very well, and their admiration and respect for each other is notable.

And though they drifted apart somewhat in the '80s and early '90s, during the 'Dance' tour Christine was once again talking about what a wonderful lady Stevie was to be around, and that her sense of humour (which Christine said she had missed) had returned.

Then there's John & Mick... who are the dearest to Christine's heart. Her love for them have kept her coming back to Fleetwood Mac for decades after she originally wanted to retire.

Sure, the remaining members might have had some hurt feelings when she decided to leave the band, but I doubt they have any animosity towards her whatsoever, or she towards them.

(Oh, and I definitely agree with those who feel it's highly unlikely that she would get up on stage to perform with Fleetwood Mac while they're touring the UK, but I definitely think she'd go to see one of the shows and visit the band backstage.)
Old 07-29-2003, 10:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by WednesdaysChild
PenguinHead...
I don't know if this was your intention or not, but the way you quoted me and then responded to my post felt as if you were attacking my idea...which was me just throwing something out there...
My apologies WednesdaysChild. You're right! Some of my language was poorly choosen. What I was trying to say that -- despite the band's history of drama, they have matured considerably, and the drama has certainly waned. Yet still, all these years later the band members themselves like to play off their tumultuous past...but it is just that....the past!

Of course many newer fans like to wildly infuse a soap opera-like speculation on everything that happens now. I guess their personal lifes don't hold as much interest to me as does their music.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you very much, Penguin Head! Apology accepted.

I am a newer fan...so I wasn't around when all the "real" drama took place. I have to listen to stories and read articles to try and figure out what happened. From what I've heard and read, I think they've come a LONG way from how they used to be...but something could have happened--they are human and have personalities.

Old 07-29-2003, 11:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think she really did leave for the simple reason that she was sick of touring. But I also think Lindsey is angry at her _ probably for leaving, maybe for something else. Of all the members, he's the only one who's NEVER (correct me if I'm wrong) expressed any kind of regret that she's no longer with the band. He always says (paraphrasing here) that her departure from the band was actually a good thing, because it gave him, John and Mick more room to play.
Stevie, on the other hand, has said she genuinely misses Christine.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

If the band sat around dwelling on the fact that Christine has left, it would get them nowhere. Perhaps Lindsey has simply moved on in order to be able to deal with the current situation. If Christine sent them flowers at the beginning of the tour, I think it hints that there are no bad feelings on her part. I mean, what do you want Lindsey to do? Start sobbing? He just wants to get on with the music.

Laura.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:51 AM

Lindsey is not dancing with joy because she left. How can anyone get that from what he has said? He simply says that her departure opened up different opportunities and challenges. As a musician, songwriter and producer, he has embraced these opportunities and challenges.

If Christine decides to tour to promote her upcoming album, then we may have some justification for thinking that she did not want to tour with this particular group of people. Which is my hunch, but I am open to the very real possibility she was just tired of the road.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:02 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Real Reason Christine left

I think that after the Dance tour she was really tired. She's been quoted as saying that she doesn't sleep well on the road and so was drinking more than was good for her which then made her feel worse. I don't think she could face Europe as well.

I imagine that about that time her marriage was either breaking up or in difficulties.

She probably woke up one morning and thought - I'm sick of this, I'm sick of him (or he's sick of me) I don't want to do this anymore.

We've all felt like that at some point in our lives the difference is she's got oodles of money and can just walk away.

She can home and it's only now that she could even think about recording again.

I'm not sure if any one will want to release it though. She will have to promote it and although she doesn't necessarily have to tour, some interviews will have to be done - record companies will want to protect their investment.

I hope she does release something - I miss her not being about.

Perhaps she'll come on right at the end of the Earls Court concert (the one I'm going to naturally) and sing Songbird. (It's around this time that I generally wake up)

Gail
Old 07-29-2003, 12:12 PM

Default burning bridges

Just a quick take on Lindsey's "burning bridges" comment. I always took this to mean, not that Christine had burned relationships, but had taken steps in her life that had committed her to not work with the band again.

I really don't think there's much more to her departure other than simply being tired of the lifestyle. It's always seemed clear that she bailed because of burnout. Heck, just about everyone gets burned out on a demanding career sooner or later.

Pink Floyd
Old 07-29-2003, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't wait to hear her new album! Any Rumours on who will be playing on it or who is producing it? She had no problem attracting some great musicians on her last solo album...Lindsey Buckingham, Steve Winwood, Eric Clapton, etc...

I bet this album will be great, and much more dynamic than her rather bland (but good!) Christine McVie album. I speculate that she certainly won't do a full-blown tour, but will possibly perform some carefully chosen shows in order to get maximum exposure, sort of in the same manner as The Dance MTV show.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow PenguinHead...

I remember hearing Billy Burnette on the radio a few months ago talking about playing on Christine's album. I don't remember exactly what he said, just that he was playing on it.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If the band sat around dwelling on the fact that Christine has left, it would get them nowhere. Perhaps Lindsey has simply moved on in order to be able to deal with the current situation. If Christine sent them flowers at the beginning of the tour, I think it hints that there are no bad feelings on her part. I mean, what do you want Lindsey to do? Start sobbing? He just wants to get on with the music.
No, I don't want him to sob... But you might expect that he'd say *something* along the lines of, "Yeah, it's too bad Christine's not with us anymore. I miss her, but she had to do what she had to do, yada yada."
It strikes me as a little odd that he hasn't said anything along those lines (that I can recall), because I've always gotten the impression in the past that he genuinely respects Christine's musicianship and songwriting. But now all he talks about is how her absence is an opportunity?
Just something that's caused me to raise an eyebrow. As someone else pointed out, we'll probably never know the whole truth.