Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Christine & Bekka

There's a picture on the new FM website that looks to be a rehearsal with Bekka in shorts and Christine at the piano. I've never seen this before. Maybe it's always been floating around though . . . Michele
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 65340015.jpg (55.1 KB, 85 views)
Old 05-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

How cool! I never saw that! It's Bekka! And Dave Mason there too! Why would they be rehearsing for a tour when Chris had no intention of being part of the tour? It sure doesn't look like a shot done just for album art.

I think it's about time for Steve MacDougall to tell us what he REALLY knows about the feud between Chris & Dave, & to what extent that did -- or did not -- prevent those two from working together.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-05-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
How cool! I never saw that! It's Bekka! And Dave Mason there too! Why would they be rehearsing for a tour when Chris had no intention of being part of the tour? It sure doesn't look like a shot done just for album art.

I think it's about time for Steve MacDougall to tell us what he REALLY knows about the feud between Chris & Dave, & to what extent that did -- or did not -- prevent those two from working together.
Steve??? we're waiting...
Old 05-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From what I know, the "feud" was actually between Dave and Steve Winwood....something going back to their Traffic days (and still alive today, from what I understand!).
Chris has always adored Steve, and so she took his side.....she was adament that she DID NOT want Dave in the band, but I guess he was was kind of down on his luck at the time and living in Mick's guest house....and just kind of weaseled (for lack of a better word!) his way into the band.
That's why he's not on any of Christine's songs on TIME.....she wouldn't record with him (she used an outside guitarist, as well recording her other parts on her own, which were latter mixed in).
I'm VERY surprised to see a shot of these two on the same stage.....Chris HAD stopped/cut back on the drinking by this time, right?!?!? (I would have thought that's the only way she would have gotten on stage with Dave....if she was totally looped! Then again, that when that poison tongue could have come out!!!
Old 05-05-2009, 03:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow! I've never seen that picture before. It looks like it was taken at the same time as that picture with Chris & Bekka goofing around with beards. The background is the same in both pictures. It looks strange seeing Chris & Dave Mason together.

Thanks for posting, Michele.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57 View Post
Wow! I've never seen that picture before. It looks like it was taken at the same time as that picture with Chris & Bekka goofing around with beards. The background is the same in both pictures.
Oh yes, you're right. They're wearing the same clothes. And the beard picture is on www.fleetwoodmac.com too.

Michele
Old 05-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It would have been nice/interesting to hear Christine and Bekka's voices together. It's a shame that it didn't come to fruition on Time.

Matt
Old 05-05-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fannymac View Post
From what I know, the "feud" was actually between Dave and Steve Winwood....something going back to their Traffic days (and still alive today, from what I understand!).
Chris has always adored Steve, and so she took his side.....she was adament that she DID NOT want Dave in the band, but I guess he was was kind of down on his luck at the time and living in Mick's guest house....and just kind of weaseled (for lack of a better word!) his way into the band.
That's why he's not on any of Christine's songs on TIME.....she wouldn't record with him (she used an outside guitarist, as well recording her other parts on her own, which were latter mixed in).
I'm VERY surprised to see a shot of these two on the same stage.....Chris HAD stopped/cut back on the drinking by this time, right?!?!? (I would have thought that's the only way she would have gotten on stage with Dave....if she was totally looped! Then again, that when that poison tongue could have come out!!!
I can confirm the Winwood Mason tiff.... even in 2004 they traded jabs on each other's websights.... Mason wanted to play guitar on the RRHOF Traffic tunes...
Old 05-05-2009, 07:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
It would have been nice/interesting to hear Christine and Bekka's voices together. It's a shame that it didn't come to fruition on Time.
I think you can on I Do, Nothing Without You, I Got It In For You, and Talkin' To My Heart.

As for the Dave/Christine tiff, I had a few sources, and Steve Winwood was never mentioned. I don't remember one guy's name, but he said a lot of it had to do with the fact Dave still enjoyed the nose candy, which given the issues she had seen over the years with friends/bandmates, had to seem distasteful to Chris. This guy also told me that Mick and Dave spent most of promotional budget on getting the guitars/drums to sound right. I can't verify any of it, but it sounds about right.

But, ulitmately, my biggest source for the tiff was told to me by another guy who had the courage to tell me that Dave was a real asshole. This guy also told me that he was somewhat miffed at how Mick promised a new Fleetwood Mac, yet it played all of the old stuff (sounds familiar).

I can believe the last point. Dave openly admits to having been called an asshole, and even to being an asshole at times. Steve Winwood isn't the only person who has had issues with Dave over the years. Clapton's had issues. Most of the Dave Mason Band from the '70s have had issues (specifically Rick Jaeger). There is a pattern. I also heard it from a few fans from back in the days when I ran that website, and the cocaine issue was mentioned more than once. OTOH, Billy Burnette told me (on a Q&A) that he enjoyed working with Dave. So who knows?

I've said it before (in more humerous ways), but I think the issue between Christine and Dave is solely between those two. Think of it a different way: Mick liked Dave Mason. Christine actually lived with Mick, worked extensively with Mick, and went through hell and back with Mick. Who's opinion do you think she would have respected more? Mick Fleetwood's or Steve Winwood's? I think Christine is more than capable of deciding these things for herself. I could see Dave and Christine not getting along.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-05-2009, 11:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Unhappy to be playing with Dave or not, Christine looks great in this pic!
Old 05-06-2009, 09:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

You will notice that Christine and Dave are at opposite ends of the room, showing the extent of their mutual affection (lol).

At least this photo proves that this unit DID play together as a band, at least for the record. I've sometimes wondered if Christine literally "mailed in" her parts. Good to see that that wasn't the case.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
At least this photo proves that this unit DID play together as a band, at least for the record.
The question is WHY? What are they doing in this picture? Did Christine initially intend to tour in '94?

If someone says the group is practicing for studio work, I reply that they didn't start studio work until much, much later -- after an extensive tour.

LET'S GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS!
Old 05-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Senior Ledgie

Is it just me or do Christine's 'legs' look like someone else's? As if her top half (with the keyboards) were photoshopped in...Look again!
Old 05-06-2009, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

They're probably just rehearsing the material that would eventually be recorded; aka "pre-production". (working on arrangements, etc)

As far as Chris' legs...the shot has a slight "fish eye" lens distortion to it, which is most likely what is causing that effect. Plus, it would look weird if you assumed Chris was SEATED, but, in fact, she is standing.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusky View Post
Is it just me or do Christine's 'legs' look like someone else's? As if her top half (with the keyboards) were photoshopped in...Look again!
Yes, I thought her legs looked funny too, but I felt that part of her body must be blocked by the keyboards. Because her top is black and the keyboard base is black, it's a little hard to tell.

Still, it looks like her legs are pointed in one direction and her body in the other. Her legs are a little more turned to the right than her torso.

Michele