Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:32 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Let Me Go (Leave me alone)

If Let Me Go (Leave me alone) was released by FM during the Rumour years, how do people think it would have been produced. I can hear it with heavier guitars arrangement with many lines dualed with SN. CMcV isn't happy with her early work, but I think there are quite a few songs which would polish up quite nicely.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:18 PM

I really love the Christine Perfect album... it gives me that old time radio feel... like listening to some old Nina Simone or Ella... only a little more poppy...

I think the main critisism lies in her vocals at times... but I love the arch of her success.... she truly was an amazing musician who respected her craft....
Old 02-16-2009, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ench View Post
If Let Me Go (Leave me alone) was released by FM during the Rumour years, how do people think it would have been produced. I can hear it with heavier guitars arrangement with many lines dualed with SN. CMcV isn't happy with her early work, but I think there are quite a few songs which would polish up quite nicely.
There are quite a few of Christine's songs that would "polish up" as you say. I'm not a big fan of her early Chicken Shack stuff (sorry it's the voice) but I think there are some which I wish she'd have another bash at. Some of the songs from the Penguin album would be nice to hear re-done.

Gail
Old 02-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it would have been speeded up substantially & the lead vocals would have been split into perfect-5th interval harmony, with rolling banjo textures on the track, making the whole sound like Appalachian mountain people on meth.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 02-16-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I think it would have been speeded up substantially & the lead vocals would have been split into perfect-5th interval harmony, with rolling banjo textures on the track, making the whole sound like Appalachian mountain people on meth.
Nobody can ruin blues better than Lindsey.... lololol
Old 02-16-2009, 11:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ench View Post
Wasn't the album re-released during the rumours era? I recall Christine not being very happy about that. She wanted to put that behind her. She was uncomfortable being a soloist, and didn't like her singing or the production of the album. Despite that, I find a lot of merits in it, and was glad it was re-released at that time. But at that time I didn't have a depth of knowledge and was confused about the Christine Perfect title.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I really love the Christine Perfect album... it gives me that old time radio feel... like listening to some old Nina Simone or Ella... only a little more poppy...
I agree. I really love the 'Christine Perfect' album, and I listen to it often. I listen to it more often than to some Fleetwood Mac albums. It's true that her vocals were undeveloped at the time, but I actually really like that. I think that sometimes in later years Chris used too many layers of vocals, too much double-tracking of vocals, and I like the rawness of the vocals on the 'CP' record. I can understand why Chris didn't like it, in retrospect, since the songs sound like little more than unfinished demos ... which is actually why I like it so much.

I also like the 'CP' record since her keyboards are so prominent. I wish her piano playing was as prominently featured throughout her career. I also really like the style of blues that Chris performed, and I have a higher opinion than most people of some of the songs on the record, including "Wait and See" and "No Road is the Right Road," both of which I really love.

I also agree that Chris' vocals with Chicken Shack weren't very good yet, and some of her live vocals that have survived from her very early days with the Mac are pretty terrible, but remember, she was focusing on being a musician. I think she was actually reluctant to start thinking of herself as a singer. Incredible, isn't it, considering that Christine McVie's voice is one of the most wonderful sounds in the entire realm of pop music.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The song I would have liked to hear was probably written during those days, but the only version I've heard is from a bootleg from the KH tour, called Baby, It's Alright Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
There are quite a few of Christine's songs that would "polish up" as you say. I'm not a big fan of her early Chicken Shack stuff (sorry it's the voice) but I think there are some which I wish she'd have another bash at. Some of the songs from the Penguin album would be nice to hear re-done.
I agree about some of the Chicken Shack stuff. The first album isn't good in terms of Christine's vocals, but O.K. Ken? isn't that bad. Get Like You Used To Be and Mean Old World are pretty good, IMO.

I dunno about how much better the Penguin stuff would've been. The Roxy version of Remember Me was pretty good (though I realize the other Rumours crew weren't on it), I can't say that it was a lot better. It was a little different, but not much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Nobody can ruin blues better than Lindsey.... lololol
I liked some of his blues playing from up until the early Rumours tour. He's definitely not a purist, but he had potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Wasn't the album re-released during the rumours era? I recall Christine not being very happy about that. She wanted to put that behind her. She was uncomfortable being a soloist, and didn't like her singing or the production of the album. Despite that, I find a lot of merits in it, and was glad it was re-released at that time. But at that time I didn't have a depth of knowledge and was confused about the Christine Perfect title.
While I really like the album and think Christine has been a bit hard on herself about that album, I can see where she would have not been thrilled about that album being reissued at that moment in time. It was really inappropriate. Christine and Fleetwood Mac were moving away from their pasts, away from living on their past glories. Especially after having HAD to do it in 1974 just to be able to re-estabilsh themselves as the REAL Fleetwood Mac.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-17-2009, 09:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I agree about some of the Chicken Shack stuff. The first album isn't good in terms of Christine's vocals, but O.K. Ken? isn't that bad. Get Like You Used To Be and Mean Old World are pretty good, IMO.
Agree. Her vocals improved very quickly in the early days. I wonder if it was just a matter of gaining confidence in herself as a vocalist, or did she "learn" to sing? Has an interviewer ever asked Christine about this?
Old 02-17-2009, 01:25 PM

I'd agree SteveMacD... he was ok in Get Like You Used To Be 1975... but when I heard Rick Vito play after LB... I got more of the genre in his sound than LB...
Old 02-17-2009, 11:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Christine's vocals with Chicken Shack (both albums) were consistently excellent as blues. The vocals on her first solo album are a little less assured, still interesting but more transitional...Let Me Go is one of those songs where her voice is just not "on."

It would take her another few years to get to the voice we know and love. Some of her vocals on those early FM live performances are shaky. By 1973-74 she was in top form.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
I wonder if it was just a matter of gaining confidence in herself as a vocalist, or did she "learn" to sing? Has an interviewer ever asked Christine about this?
I think she said that her voice improved with practice. In the beginning, her vocals on the Chicken Shack albums & the early Fleetwood Mac records were OK. But her live vocals were pretty bad, especially the Madison Blues release. If you listen to the early live bootleg recordings, they gradually improved with each year. By 1973, they were excellent.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Exactly, MacFan, though I must say her live-in-studio version of Crazy 'Bout You Baby (from Madison Blues) is fantastic.

I've always thought "No Road is the Right Road" and the souped-up arrangement of "I'm On My Way" should have been re-recorded on one of those 71-74 Mac albums.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What is my favorite live vocal by Christine?

"Songbird" & "Oh Daddy" from Osaka 12.4.77.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 02-18-2009, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I've always thought "No Road is the Right Road" and the souped-up arrangement of "I'm On My Way" should have been re-recorded on one of those 71-74 Mac albums.
Oh! That would have been fabulous. What a shame it didn't happen.