The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-08-2016, 05:26 PM

Dr. Dre, Jimmy Iovine documentary series The Defiant Ones coming to HBO

Hip-hop moguls Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine are one of music’s most successful yet unlikely tandems. HBO is telling their story with a huge documentary event.

The cable network announced The Defiant Ones, a four-part documentary from director Allen Hughes (Menace II Society) on the longtime business relationship between Dre and Iovine. The series will follow Iovine, “the son of a Brooklyn longshoreman,” and Dre, who came “straight out of Compton,” through their solo careers and their partnership, which led to founding Aftermath Records, finding Eminem, and creating the instantly recognizable Beats Electronics brand.

Hughes filmed the pair over a three-year period and also interviewed Bono, Eminem, Bruce Springsteen, Ice Cube, and more. Unearthed footage of old recording sessions from their early years — including moments with Springsteen, N.W.A, Eazy-E, and Stevie Nicks — will also appear in the documentary.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/12/08...y-defiant-ones
Old 12-09-2016, 06:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[I wonder what the caller was angry about. Was it because he called Stevie "former" lead FM singer]

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/enter...206-story.html

Orlando Sentinel, by Bryan Ferry, December 8, 2016

Turning now to a Stevie, Ms. Nicks is swinging back through Florida just like a white winged dove might. When I wrote about the former lead vocalist for Fleetwood Mac coming to Tampa back in November, I got a very angry call, so I'm going to stick to bare facts this time. Stephanie Lynn Nicks was born in Phoenix in 1948, sang "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" with Tom Petty and once said that "rock and menopause do not mix." Stevie's 24 Karat Gold Tour swings into Orlando's Amway Center on March 21. Tickets are $46-$146.50, on sale Monday, Dec. 12. Details: ticketmaster.org
Old 12-15-2016, 10:21 AM

Keith Urban & Carrie Underwood Were Born to Sing 'Stop Draggin' My Heart Around' Together: Watch

As they wind down their Australian dates on the Ripcord World Tour, Keith Urban and Carrie Underwood gave fans a treat on Saturday at the GIO Stadium in Canberra, revisiting their duet on the 1981 Tom Petty/Stevie Nicks hit "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around." They played the song together earlier this year on the American Idol finale in April and have performed it a few other times on TV. Both are headed home for the holidays after the tour, which wraps with a pair of shows in Brisbane on Dec. 16-17.

Urban is booked to play the Jack Daniel's Music City Midnight: New Year's Eve show in his native Nashville alongside Styx, Moon Taxi, A Thousand Horses, Charlie Worsham and the Fisk Jubilee Singers.

Check out the duet:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...ound-australia
Old 12-20-2016, 03:27 PM

Claypaky Mythos Hits the Road with Stevie Nicks’s New Solo Tour

USA – Stevie Nicks has gone solo for the “24 Karat Gold Tour” playing more than two dozen arena dates in North America before the end of the year. Production designer Paul Guthrie of Toss Film & Design Inc. in Minneapolis chose 88 ClayPaky Mythos fixtures for the lighting rig. He previously deployed Mythos on tours for Miranda Lambert and Macklemore.
Nicks’s latest tour, in support of her album, “24 Karat Gold – Songs from the Vault,” launched in Phoenix and will wrap up in Los Angeles. While the iconic singer/songwriter appears as a solo artist, she tapped the Pretenders to open for her, delivering a powerhouse show for ticket holders.
A veteran of Nicks’s tours, Guthrie endeavoured to “create something new and a bit more modern” for her new show. “Stevie enjoys using video content so the tour features a lot of video on an LED videowall backdrop and L-shaped scenic pieces,” he explains. “Our overwhelming lighting edict is always no smoke. So we defer to lighting the band and adding in layers of light to create new looks.”
The versatility of Mythos offers myriad options to Guthrie. “It’s fun to have one light that can produce a multitude of different effects in the same head,” he says. “Mythos is basically the workhorse light in the rig.” He notes that the tour’s complement of 100-120 moving lights “is now considered a medium-size rig for an arena tour. It used to be that 16 were considered to be a lot! We’ve come a long way.” PRG’s Las Vegas office supplied the fixtures.
Eighty Mythos are mounted in the overhead lighting trusses where they form “solid lines of Mythos,” Guthrie reports. “On the downstage and mid-stage trusses they provide stage wash and beam effects. Those on the most upstage of the trusses, upstage of the videowall, create layers to add depth.”
Eight more Mythos are positioned on the floor upstage of the band “to set fire” to their dynamic performance.
Tom Wagstaff, the lighting director for the Pretenders deploys about 60 Mythos, on the downstage and mid-stage trusses, and repositions the complement on the floor, says Guthrie.
For the “24 Karat Gold Tour” Thomas Mayer is the lighting crew chief and Cecil Nelson, Matt Schiller and Scott Naef are the lighting crew.
A.C.T Lighting is the exclusive North American distributor for Clay Paky.
Francesco Romagnoli, Clay Paky area manager for North and Latin America, added: “Mr. Guthrie always does great work and is trusted to work with great artists. It’s always a please to collaborate with him.”

http://www.etnow.com/news/2016/12/cl...-new-solo-tour
Old 12-26-2016, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Benmont Tench on Twitter on Dec 25:

tried singing "if you were mike love" to the tune of stevie nicks' "if you were my love" but it didn't have the same effect

Old 01-04-2017, 09:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

An excerpt from a lengthy article about what we don't understand about "being offended."

People can be offended by anything -- it just takes having a personal experience. Let's say, hypothetically, you were beaten up by a badly jaundiced bodybuilder when you were a child. You're probably not gonna like that scene at the end of The Avengers where the Hulk rearranges Tony Stark's tiling with Loki's face. That's such an arbitrary and unique experience that there's no way to count it against the film's creators. Unless, hypothetically still, jaundice is a serious problem in your community? And roid rage? And somehow those problems are linked -- let's say by Gypsy magic? Then you could say that it was irresponsible to include that scene, because it's normalizing the well-documented societal ill of jaundiced Gypsy roid rage. Also, sorry for saying "Gypsy" so much. Hopefully I didn't offend any Gypsies or Stevie Nicks

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-things...=lift_facebook
Old 01-15-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Dr. Dre, Jimmy Iovine documentary series The Defiant Ones coming to HBO

Hip-hop moguls Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine are one of music’s most successful yet unlikely tandems. HBO is telling their story with a huge documentary event.

The cable network announced The Defiant Ones, a four-part documentary from director Allen Hughes (Menace II Society) on the longtime business relationship between Dre and Iovine. The series will follow Iovine, “the son of a Brooklyn longshoreman,” and Dre, who came “straight out of Compton,” through their solo careers and their partnership, which led to founding Aftermath Records, finding Eminem, and creating the instantly recognizable Beats Electronics brand.

Hughes filmed the pair over a three-year period and also interviewed Bono, Eminem, Bruce Springsteen, Ice Cube, and more. Unearthed footage of old recording sessions from their early years — including moments with Springsteen, N.W.A, Eazy-E, and Stevie Nicks — will also appear in the documentary.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/12/08...y-defiant-ones
It seems Stevie will appear also in an interview in the documentary:

HBO documentary tracks bond between Dr. Dre, Jimmy Iovine

PASADENA, Calif. — The Defiant Ones focuses on an unlikely relationship between two of the most influential people in popular culture.

The four-part HBO documentary, which premieres this spring, looks at the bond between two entertainment icons: rapper and producer Dr. Dre, a Compton native known for N.W.A. and Death Row Records, and music mega-producer Jimmy Iovine, son of a Brooklyn longshoreman. The pair founded the multi-billion-dollar entertainment entity, Beats Electronics.

Defiant follows their paths through recording studios, giant mansions, corporate boardrooms and even criminal courts.

"It's about the relationship of a white guy and a black guy who both grew up in racially charged areas. There was something about it and we just hit it off," Iovine told television critics Saturday (Dre wasn't present for the panel.). The pair dealt with "some pretty tough times and some pretty dangerous times (and) some circumstances that were never in entertainment before. We got through it."

What to expect from your favorite TV shows this season
He hopes the relationship between two very different people can provide an example in "a country in this moment that is so screwed up in this area. We stayed together under some of the most difficult circumstances you have."

Iovine, who has produced John Lennon, Patti Smith, Bruce Springsteen and U2, says he was taken by Dre's brilliance immediately.

"The day I met Dre and saw what he does and heard what he does, he couldn’t shake me with a stick," says Iovine, who then related some advice he had received: "If you bump into a genius on a beach, never let him go."

As for the Beats partnership, Iovine said the two wanted to make headphones that sounded great and looked cool. "All the headphones at that time looked like medical equipment."

The Allen Hughes-directed documentary, which was filmed over three years, features interviews with a hall of fame of music stars and moguls, including Bono, David Geffen, Eminem, Nas, Ice Cube, Gwen Stefani, Jon Landau, Tom Petty, Stevie Nicks, Trent Reznor, Snoop Dogg, Bruce Springsteen and will.i.am.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/t...vine/96585588/
Old 01-16-2017, 02:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What shall I wear to Donald Trump’s inauguration if ‘all the dress shops are sold out’?
The Guardian online
https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/...fashion-advice

I’m going to the inauguration in DC this week. What should I wear?
Rose, by email

Will Melania Trump copy Stevie Nicks’s look for the Trump inauguration?

Something waterproof, obviously. What? I was referring to DC’s famously poor winter weather. Look what happened to William Henry Harrison when he didn’t wear weather-appropriate clothes at his inauguration – the man died nine days later! So honestly, I was just thinking about everyone’s good health and in no way making some cheap reference to #watersportsgate (the only -gate this column accepts).

So! You’re going to the inauguration, Rose. Well, I don’t think you’ll have trouble getting a seat, put it that way. Despite a lifetime of desperation to be near celebrities, a desperation that has resulted in him appearing in such classy fare as Home Alone 2 and being a guest at QVC’s Oscars party in 2011 alongside Kim Kardashian, Trump is now insisting, from his gold-plated Manhattan penthouse, that he doesn’t care about those elites.

“The so-called ‘A’ list celebrities are all wanting tickets to the inauguration, but look what they did for Hillary, NOTHING. I want the PEOPLE!” he tweeted last month, sounding adorably like a seven-year-old who didn’t actually want any of those people he begged to come to his birthday party to turn up. He totally planned all along to celebrate with two teddy bears, a set of Lego and his mother.

And, indeed, Trump proceeded to prove how little he cares about these A-listers by tweeting about how many more people watched him on The Celebrity Apprentice compared with its new host, Arnold Schwarzenegger. Keeping it real for the PEOPLE there.

Anyway, the team around Trump continues to use language in a way that the pigs in Animal Farm can only admire. The head of his inaugural committee, Tom Barrack, said last week that they don’t need any celebrities because “we have the greatest celebrity in the world … ”

“Which is the president-elect.” Oh. “So what we’ve done, instead of trying to surround him with what people consider A-listers, is we are going to surround him with the soft sensuality of the place. It’s a much more poetic cadence than having a circus-like celebration that’s a coronation.”

Wait. You’re going to have to run that by me again: “We are going to surround him with the soft sensuality of the place.”

I’m sorry, have you ever been to DC? I have, many times, and let me tell you, of all the adjectives that come to mind when I think of the place (“clean”, “white”, “clean”), “soft sensuality” does not appear very high in the list. In fact, I genuinely don’t think anyone has sex in that city (too dirty, too little possibility of politics chat.) So the tactic seems to be, instead of surrounding Trump with people, he will instead be surrounded by air, which is totally what I’m going to say to waiters when they give me grief about dining on my own.

“What, you’re eating by yourself?”

“Instead of trying to surround myself with what people consider to be other people I’ve decided to surround myself with the soft sensuality of the restaurant. Can’t you see the poetic cadence?”

Anyway! There is, amazingly, a point to all this, and that is to suggest you try to match this mood board by looking for clothes that convey soft sensuality and poetic cadences. I’m seeing a very Stevie Nicks look here, all flowing sleeves and sheer materials. Honestly, I can’t think of a better look to celebrate this incoming administration than one associated with a band known for self-destruction and in-fighting.

But you must sort your look out fast, Rose, because Trump has said that his inauguration is going to be so popular that “all the dress shops are sold out in Washington. It’s hard to find a great dress for this inauguration.” Now, you’ll never believe this, but some DC stores have cast doubt on this claim (“We have a wonderful assortment of dresses and gowns,” Bloomingdale’s, a US department store with two locations in DC, has said), but doubtless that is just fake news from the elites, or something something word salad something.

The person who really needs to get a move on is Melania Trump. Some Trump supporters have criticised those designers, such as Tom Ford and Marc Jacobs, who have said they won’t give clothes to her. I must have missed the part in the constitution where it says fashion designers are obliged to give free clothes to the president’s wife, even if she is married to a man who appoints a raging homophobe as his VP, a man who objects to everything about these designers’ lives.

But never mind Marc and Tom, I honestly reckon a bit of Stevie Nicks fringing would suit Melania a treat. A little dancing across the stage, waving her shawl and shouting in Don’s face: “You can go your own way.”

For once, I think Melania would be speaking for Republicans and Democrats alike. Roll on, bipartisanship!

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 01-16-2017, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
It seems Stevie will appear also in an interview in the documentary:

HBO documentary tracks bond between Dr. Dre, Jimmy Iovine

PASADENA, Calif. — The Defiant Ones focuses on an unlikely relationship between two of the most influential people in popular culture.

The four-part HBO documentary, which premieres this spring, looks at the bond between two entertainment icons: rapper and producer Dr. Dre, a Compton native known for N.W.A. and Death Row Records, and music mega-producer Jimmy Iovine, son of a Brooklyn longshoreman. The pair founded the multi-billion-dollar entertainment entity, Beats Electronics.

Defiant follows their paths through recording studios, giant mansions, corporate boardrooms and even criminal courts.

"It's about the relationship of a white guy and a black guy who both grew up in racially charged areas. There was something about it and we just hit it off," Iovine told television critics Saturday (Dre wasn't present for the panel.). The pair dealt with "some pretty tough times and some pretty dangerous times (and) some circumstances that were never in entertainment before. We got through it."

What to expect from your favorite TV shows this season
He hopes the relationship between two very different people can provide an example in "a country in this moment that is so screwed up in this area. We stayed together under some of the most difficult circumstances you have."

Iovine, who has produced John Lennon, Patti Smith, Bruce Springsteen and U2, says he was taken by Dre's brilliance immediately.

"The day I met Dre and saw what he does and heard what he does, he couldn’t shake me with a stick," says Iovine, who then related some advice he had received: "If you bump into a genius on a beach, never let him go."

As for the Beats partnership, Iovine said the two wanted to make headphones that sounded great and looked cool. "All the headphones at that time looked like medical equipment."

The Allen Hughes-directed documentary, which was filmed over three years, features interviews with a hall of fame of music stars and moguls, including Bono, David Geffen, Eminem, Nas, Ice Cube, Gwen Stefani, Jon Landau, Tom Petty, Stevie Nicks, Trent Reznor, Snoop Dogg, Bruce Springsteen and will.i.am.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/t...vine/96585588/
Squee! Finally, HBO releases a decent program about music after that inane and utterly unwatchable Vinyl. So excited to see this!
Old 01-17-2017, 07:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
What shall I wear to Donald Trump’s inauguration if ‘all the dress shops are sold out’?
The Guardian online
https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/...fashion-advice

I’m going to the inauguration in DC this week. What should I wear?
Rose, by email

Will Melania Trump copy Stevie Nicks’s look for the Trump inauguration?

Something waterproof, obviously. What? I was referring to DC’s famously poor winter weather. Look what happened to William Henry Harrison when he didn’t wear weather-appropriate clothes at his inauguration – the man died nine days later! So honestly, I was just thinking about everyone’s good health and in no way making some cheap reference to #watersportsgate (the only -gate this column accepts).

So! You’re going to the inauguration, Rose. Well, I don’t think you’ll have trouble getting a seat, put it that way. Despite a lifetime of desperation to be near celebrities, a desperation that has resulted in him appearing in such classy fare as Home Alone 2 and being a guest at QVC’s Oscars party in 2011 alongside Kim Kardashian, Trump is now insisting, from his gold-plated Manhattan penthouse, that he doesn’t care about those elites.

“The so-called ‘A’ list celebrities are all wanting tickets to the inauguration, but look what they did for Hillary, NOTHING. I want the PEOPLE!” he tweeted last month, sounding adorably like a seven-year-old who didn’t actually want any of those people he begged to come to his birthday party to turn up. He totally planned all along to celebrate with two teddy bears, a set of Lego and his mother.

And, indeed, Trump proceeded to prove how little he cares about these A-listers by tweeting about how many more people watched him on The Celebrity Apprentice compared with its new host, Arnold Schwarzenegger. Keeping it real for the PEOPLE there.

Anyway, the team around Trump continues to use language in a way that the pigs in Animal Farm can only admire. The head of his inaugural committee, Tom Barrack, said last week that they don’t need any celebrities because “we have the greatest celebrity in the world … ”

“Which is the president-elect.” Oh. “So what we’ve done, instead of trying to surround him with what people consider A-listers, is we are going to surround him with the soft sensuality of the place. It’s a much more poetic cadence than having a circus-like celebration that’s a coronation.”

Wait. You’re going to have to run that by me again: “We are going to surround him with the soft sensuality of the place.”

I’m sorry, have you ever been to DC? I have, many times, and let me tell you, of all the adjectives that come to mind when I think of the place (“clean”, “white”, “clean”), “soft sensuality” does not appear very high in the list. In fact, I genuinely don’t think anyone has sex in that city (too dirty, too little possibility of politics chat.) So the tactic seems to be, instead of surrounding Trump with people, he will instead be surrounded by air, which is totally what I’m going to say to waiters when they give me grief about dining on my own.

“What, you’re eating by yourself?”

“Instead of trying to surround myself with what people consider to be other people I’ve decided to surround myself with the soft sensuality of the restaurant. Can’t you see the poetic cadence?”

Anyway! There is, amazingly, a point to all this, and that is to suggest you try to match this mood board by looking for clothes that convey soft sensuality and poetic cadences. I’m seeing a very Stevie Nicks look here, all flowing sleeves and sheer materials. Honestly, I can’t think of a better look to celebrate this incoming administration than one associated with a band known for self-destruction and in-fighting.

But you must sort your look out fast, Rose, because Trump has said that his inauguration is going to be so popular that “all the dress shops are sold out in Washington. It’s hard to find a great dress for this inauguration.” Now, you’ll never believe this, but some DC stores have cast doubt on this claim (“We have a wonderful assortment of dresses and gowns,” Bloomingdale’s, a US department store with two locations in DC, has said), but doubtless that is just fake news from the elites, or something something word salad something.

The person who really needs to get a move on is Melania Trump. Some Trump supporters have criticised those designers, such as Tom Ford and Marc Jacobs, who have said they won’t give clothes to her. I must have missed the part in the constitution where it says fashion designers are obliged to give free clothes to the president’s wife, even if she is married to a man who appoints a raging homophobe as his VP, a man who objects to everything about these designers’ lives.

But never mind Marc and Tom, I honestly reckon a bit of Stevie Nicks fringing would suit Melania a treat. A little dancing across the stage, waving her shawl and shouting in Don’s face: “You can go your own way.”

For once, I think Melania would be speaking for Republicans and Democrats alike. Roll on, bipartisanship!
This is such an odd article. While it mentions Stevie's style throughout, I don't understand why they bring her into it at all.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:24 AM

Photo Flash: Natalie Douglas Honors MLK Day with 'STEVIE SONGS' at Birdland

The Broadway at Birdland concert series welcomed singer Natalie Douglas, who returned to her musical home on Monday, January 16 with "Stevie Songs: The Music of Stevie Nicks & Stevie Wonder," in honor of Martin Luther King Day.

The concert celebrated the artistry, vision & enduring brilliance of two towering musical influences, Stevie Nicks and Stevie Wonder. Natalie, her musical director Brian Nash & her band turned attention to Nicks' compositions including "Gold Dust Woman," "Rhiannon," & "Leather & Lace," in addition to songs penned by Stevie Wonder such as "You Haven't Done Nothing" "All in Love is Fair" and, "Higher Ground."

The Broadway at Birdland concert series takes place every week on the stage of the historic music room, located at 315 West 44 Street, in the heart of New York's theater district.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/cabaret...dland-20170119
Old 01-21-2017, 07:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[From an article about Elle Fanning]

Ottawa Citizen BOB THOMPSON 01.13.2017

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/enterta...735/story.html

And yes, she does have a dream project. “I would love to play Stevie Nicks in a movie,” she says of the Fleetwood Mac pop singer and songwriter. “She’s the coolest lady and I really like her music.”
Old 01-21-2017, 08:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just finished reading Andy Summers' memoir (guitarist for The Police) and writes about when they were starting to get really famous:

"We play at he LA Sports Arena and before the show we hoover up some of Bolivia's finest and play a tight fast set brimming with powdered energy. Stevie Nicks stands at the side of the stage and watches the whole show. As I come offstage I get a note from her asking me to meet her later at the Rainbow, a sleazy rock joint on the Strip that everyone fights to get into-- unless you are a celeb, in which case you walk in with a cool swagger, superior and more important than the proles who hang around outside. LA, Hollywood-- it suddenly seems like a sewer and I miss New York."

Hmmm.... sure sounds like a hook-up to me.... wonder which song he inspired....

He goes on to say that "Cocaine use rages like a white blizzard, and to avoid it, you would need a Band-Aid over your mouth and nose. Wherever we are now, drug dealers leap like genies from the wallpaper. We have power now, fame; and like a magnet, it suck in everyone from celebrities to pushers, all hoping to rub up against the illusion." Imagine then Stevie being surrounded by all this attention and sucking-up from everyone around her as a solo artist rather than just as a member of FM. The band at least had a few people like John Courage who kept an eye one who was around the band and acted as a gate-keeper to weed out some of the hangers-on. Solo, because she was the boss, I don't think she controlled things so much or tolerated being told what to do.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 01-27-2017 at 12:14 AM..
Old 01-23-2017, 06:41 AM

Default We have the most intense fans

Fraudster Uses Westlake Man's Identity to Buy $1,100 Worth of Stevie Nicks Tickets

WESTLAKE, OH - A local man was unable to Go His Own Way this past week because some enterprising digital fraudster and apparently Fleetwood Mac fan used his credit card to purchase $1,100 in Stevie Nicks concert tickets. Read more about that incident below.

Fraud, Jan. 14 - The world's biggest Stevie Nicks fan may also be a part-time personality thief. The Nicks fanatic used a Sherwood Drive man's credit card account to purchase $1,100 worth of Nicks' concert tickets over the Internet. The account has been closed and the theft reported.

http://patch.com/ohio/westlake/fraud...-nicks-tickets
Old 01-26-2017, 07:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-...h-died-w463272

NEWS
Lea Michele Reveals the Gift Stevie Nicks Gave Her After Cory Monteith Died
January 26, 2017 @ 7:20 PM

By Joyce Chen

A gift from the heart. Lea Michele revealed in a recent interview that Stevie Nicks gifted her with a special “art book” filled with personal notes and song lyrics following her boyfriend Cory Monteith’s 2013 death from a drug overdose.

“I have this incredible book that Stevie Nicks gave me in 2013 when my boyfriend [Glee costar Cory Monteith] died,” the 30-year-old Glee alum told Billboard in an interview published on Thursday, January 26. “She gave me this art book of hers that she put notes in over the years and song lyrics, and then she rewrote personal notes for me that say things like, ‘Keep singing, and have faith.’”

Michele explained that she turned to Nicks’ gift when she was in the process of figuring out a title for her new album, Places. (She explained to Billboard that the album’s name was due at the record label the next day.) “I poured myself the biggest glass of red wine, I put Fleetwood Mac on my vinyl, I lit candles, and I legit started praying and looking for a sign,” she said.

“I was looking through this book and praying that there was an answer in it, somewhere,” the Scream Queens star continued. “And there was something in there that said, ‘The only thing that matters is you, and who you are.’ That’s what I’ve been trying to do with this whole record — just connect to me and where I’m from.”

Places is a reference to the theater phrase “Places, everyone!” that is yelled out prior to showtime, the actress-singer-songwriter explained to Billboard. After consulting the art book, Michele said she was inspired to call up her BFF, fellow Broadway star Jonathan Groff.

PHOTO
Stevie Nicks during the premiere of "Sound City" in 2013. Frazer Harrison/Getty Images

“I was like, ‘What’s something from our time in New York — a word, or a phrase, or something that is from theater, or from us?’ And he said, ‘What about Places?’ When you’re on Broadway, you get your 30-minute call, then your 15-minute call. You hear, ‘Places, everyone!’ And that means it’s showtime.”

Earlier in the week, Michele shared a never-before-seen photo of herself and Monteith snuggling up on New York City’s Bleecker Street back in 2012, posted without caption. In the image, the bottom half of Monteith’s face peeks out protectively over Michele’s half-obscured face. (The Glee alum died of a drug overdose in July 2013.)

According to Michele, Monteith’s untimely death had a great impact on the tone of her first album, 2014’s Louder. “When it came time for me to make my own album, I think it was a little clouded for me in terms of wanting to figure out what my own sound was,” she said of having to juggle her own album and a full-length record of Glee covers. “And it was also clouded by a big tragedy that had happened to me, in the midst of making that album. And you hear that in the album — you hear the darkness of what was going on in my life. I don’t think there is a consistency to the record that I was hoping for, but that’s life.”

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 01-27-2017 at 12:13 AM..